KPMG Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.8

92 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

People and Change Advisory Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online from a non-target school. KPMG doesn't recruit from many schools without finance or accounting programs, but if you have an interest in working in their consulting arm you should get in touch with an advisory recruiter. I had a brief phone screen before the start of fall recruitment. I was contacted for an in-office final round interview because the firm does not do round one's on my campus.

The final round consisted of two formal interviews with a manager and a director and one informal interview with a senior associate. After that I was taken to lunch with several associates, a couple of managers, and the other candidates. My understanding is that previously the firm's policy was to primarily focus on behavioral interviews in the final round but that has since changed. There were four cases, two fairly standard human capital cases, one ethical case and one excel case. The excel case was somewhat unique in that I was not asked to actually perform a task in excel, but rather to explain verbally how I would go about a task that was described to me. The interviewers were very helpful and clearly want you to succeed. Everyone was extremely friendly and loved talking about the firm. The luncheon was a great chance to hear more about everyday life and the community in P&C at KPMG. I received a call with an offer about a week later.

I would recommend familiarizing yourself with human capital concepts and excel, and networking within the department if you can. It isn't terribly large and everyone kind of knows everyone so being able to name-drop actually does go a long way. Behavioral questions are straightforward, be yourself and you'll do fine on those. The people are very down-to-earth and mostly want to see that you'll fit in and understand the type of work they do.

Advisory Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Recruiter interview followed by personnel interview, both by telephone followed by two in person.
    Relatively friendly but intense with a few moments of terror interspersed with relief.
    It wasn't the hardest to deal with but was not the easiest either.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

6 interviews in total:

--- Remote Interviews (Conducted via Phone) ---

First interview was a phone screen conducted by one of their internal recruiters. Focus was on why I wanted to join KPMG and salary expectations

Two phone interviews followed; one behavioral and the other technical. Focus was on assessing fit with firm culture and technical acumen as related to the position being applied for.

--- In-Office Interviews ---

Was flown to Chicago where I met with four members of the team I was intending to join:

First interviewer was a Manager who wanted to know what questions I had about KPMG and asked a few questions about the types of engagements I had encountered in the past.

Next interview was with a Senior Associate who asked several pointed questions around the skillsets required to be successful in the role (e.g. tell me about how you approach an application rationalization)

Third interview was a case conducted by a Manager. Company X is looking to acquire Company Y. What are the most important things for them to consider when integrating their IT systems? How would you structure a team to help Company X achieve successful integration?

Last interview of the day was with a Managing Director and included another case around the integration of a specialty gas company into a company with a global network of commodity gas manufacturers operating as their own P&Ls. Questions were mostly around how the business should be structured (stay operating as distinct P&Ls or integrate) and their location strategy. Final question was about how to structure the IT organization to support the proposed structure.

After returning home, I was told I needed to meet with a Partner at my local office. That interview was scheduled approximately a week later and focused on what I could bring to the firm if hired. Questions included: What do you want to be famous for / why does your phone ring? What network of contacts could you bring that we could use to sell new work tomorrow?

Before leaving the interview, I was asked to take on a homework assignment. The assignment was to write a 2-4 page white paper on how IT could prove its value to the business. I was given until the end of the day to complete the assignment and send it back to the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to be famous for / why does your phone ring? What network of contacts could you bring that we could use to sell new work tomorrow?   Answer Question

Tax Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in June 2011.

Interview

2 weeks of emails, phone interview and panel interview

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Intense interview. You can expect alot of technical questions about accounting, so be prepared. I interview with two people in the same room. Also, be prepared for critical thinking questions as well

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

Interview was obtained through a scholarship program guaranteeing two interviews with large accounting firms. KPMG presented for us during the leadership program and it was actually the same presentation as one presented earlier by Deloitte. It made the company look bad and unprepared honestly. The lady who interviewed me was quite strange. One question she asked me was, "Why choose KPMG? Do you prefer us over the other Big Four?" And she drilled me on that.

Interview Questions

• Surely you have a top choice for the firm you want to work with? Threw me off because I wasn't prepared to say KPMG.   1 Answer

Audit Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

The first interview was at my university with a campus recruiter. It was a 30min conversation. Behavioral type of questions: Tell me about the situation when you did more than your team expected from you; tell me about how you had to say something unpleasant to your coworker or criticize him/her; how do you stay organized; Why did you decide on accounting program in this University; in a team do you prefer to be a leader or not; would you prefer to be a member of a winning team or a leader of losing team….
    Then there was an office visit/interview with a couple of presentations. The office visit included two 45min. interviews. Both interviews, with a partner and a manager, test your professional interest in accounting industry. interviewers asked about the previous internship experience, about my duties/responsibilities, how I helped to improve something, what I've learned, what kind of software I used.... It really helps to have some good questions to ask your interviewrs. I asked about some of the current industry trends and new developments ( I read about them beforehand)

Interview Questions

• What did you learn during your previous internship that could help you succeed in the future?   Answer Question
    • What sets our company apart from our competitors, besides our employees?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hourly rate - not negotiable

Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

campus interview
    question: which class do you think most difficult for you?

Interview Questions

• which class do you think most difficult for you   1 Answer

A Position In Transaction Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in October 2009.

Interview

I am a student and the interview was obtained from a career service office. The interviewer asked mostly behavioral questions and a few technical questions. The interviewer was very nice and thy said they weren't hanging hiring but it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a group member that was difficult and you did not obtain the result you wanted?   Answer Question

Tax Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in October 2009.

Interview

Initial communications start through the college recruitment office and the career services website. First contact is probably at the Career Fair. The first interview is on campus one on one. The night before is a networking night to which you are invited if you have been selected for a first round interview. The second round interview is an overnight on-site visit consisting of networking events and multiple interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time in which you faced a difficult ethical situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • What accomplishment are you most proud of?   Answer Question