KPMG Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.9

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied to KPMG with my campus recruiter, and was then referred to the Chicago office. I flew up to the office and interviewed in March 2017. I began recruiting with KPMG in September 2015.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to tell someone a difficult decision.   Answer Question

Strategy Consulting MBA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied off-campus for a summer internship from a part-time MBA program, but during the same timeline as the standard MBA internship recruiting cycle. They have several former part-time MBAs as consultants and had a nice process for us to get access to the firm. Apps were due in mid December and we got Interview invites in early- to mid-January. First round was in their Chicago office (part-time students can't utilize on-campus intern recruiting--school rule) and consisted of 2 45-minute interviews. Each interview involved maybe 10-15 minutes of behavioral/fit, and then a case. It was fairly straightforward. The cases weren't too hard and the interviewers were both very nice, although one of them started off pretty stern/serious before warming up near the end. I felt I did well and was surprised not to be invited back for Round 2. I talked to a few others who had the same experience. I spent a good amount of time networking and meeting consultants in the firm in the months leading up to the interview--almost everyone I met was extremely nice, helpful, and down-to-earth. I'd highly recommend KPMG Strategy and I will definitely be applying for a full-time position in the fall.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral and case questions--be able to discuss every bullet on your resume in deep detail.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was a past summer intern, and got referred for an associate position through a recruiter. The entire interview process happened fairly fast, I was scheduled for a first round interview around 5-6 days after applying and was asked to come in for an office interview about 10 days after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What challenges have you faced in a classroom or workforce experience and how did you learn from them?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, very competitive offer

People and Change Advisory Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online from a non-target school. KPMG doesn't recruit from many schools without finance or accounting programs, but if you have an interest in working in their consulting arm you should get in touch with an advisory recruiter. I had a brief phone screen before the start of fall recruitment. I was contacted for an in-office final round interview because the firm does not do round one's on my campus.

The final round consisted of two formal interviews with a manager and a director and one informal interview with a senior associate. After that I was taken to lunch with several associates, a couple of managers, and the other candidates. My understanding is that previously the firm's policy was to primarily focus on behavioral interviews in the final round but that has since changed. There were four cases, two fairly standard human capital cases, one ethical case and one excel case. The excel case was somewhat unique in that I was not asked to actually perform a task in excel, but rather to explain verbally how I would go about a task that was described to me. The interviewers were very helpful and clearly want you to succeed. Everyone was extremely friendly and loved talking about the firm. The luncheon was a great chance to hear more about everyday life and the community in P&C at KPMG. I received a call with an offer about a week later.

I would recommend familiarizing yourself with human capital concepts and excel, and networking within the department if you can. It isn't terribly large and everyone kind of knows everyone so being able to name-drop actually does go a long way. Behavioral questions are straightforward, be yourself and you'll do fine on those. The people are very down-to-earth and mostly want to see that you'll fit in and understand the type of work they do.

AMCS Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

Talked to a KPMG recruiter during the career fair at my University. Gave them my resume and was emailed regarding an interview during the next few weeks. Was contacted regarding my acceptance to the second round the week after that.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer asked me zero questions. We essentially had a discussion for the whole interview timeslot   Answer Question

Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DeKalb, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at KPMG (DeKalb, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Pre-interview reception the night before was like a high-school kegger, Loud and crowded lots of shouting and struggling to hear what should have been normal conversation. The day of on-campus interviews the greeters were friendly and relaxing, told me "you know you're having a good interview if its just a conversation and not a lot of work questions." Then the interviewer proceeded to ask me a lot of work related questions. I felt I answered them fairly well but the interviewer's tone seemed to suggest that I would not be getting a second interview. When I poked my head into the greeter's room to say thanks the HR associate told me it was nice to have met me, despite my introducing myself to her the night before, which confirmed my feeling that I would not be getting a second interview.

Interview Questions

• How have your group projects at school gone? Tell me about a time you advocated for a customer. Tell me something you accomplished that you're proud of.   Answer Question

Tax Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

The first round is on campus interview for 30min, with behavioral questions that you can find on KPMG's website. The second round is on site interview with people from the team separately, with very conversational questions. Very typical campus recruiting .

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

Closed questions that demonstrate your knowledge by requiring a specific factual answer.
    Open-ended questions that are broader in scope and require you to work through the answer.
    Situational questions that describe a hypothetical situation and ask how you would proceed in those circumstances.
    Behavioural questions that ask you to describe a time in your own history when you dealt with a certain situation, and to explain how you dealt with it.

Advisory Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Recruiter interview followed by personnel interview, both by telephone followed by two in person.
    Relatively friendly but intense with a few moments of terror interspersed with relief.
    It wasn't the hardest to deal with but was not the easiest either.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

I Interviewed at the KPMG office in Chicago. There were two 30 minute interviews. One interview was with a partner, and the other was with a senior manager. Both interviews were extremely conversational. One or two semi-behavioral questions scattered within the interview. Have questions ready to ask. Pay attention to their answers and then ask refer back to them. Both interviews were enjoyable overall. I know it is cliche, but just be yourself and you'll do fine.