KPMG Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 8, 2017

2.9

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

6 interviews in total:

--- Remote Interviews (Conducted via Phone) ---

First interview was a phone screen conducted by one of their internal recruiters. Focus was on why I wanted to join KPMG and salary expectations

Two phone interviews followed; one behavioral and the other technical. Focus was on assessing fit with firm culture and technical acumen as related to the position being applied for.

--- In-Office Interviews ---

Was flown to Chicago where I met with four members of the team I was intending to join:

First interviewer was a Manager who wanted to know what questions I had about KPMG and asked a few questions about the types of engagements I had encountered in the past.

Next interview was with a Senior Associate who asked several pointed questions around the skillsets required to be successful in the role (e.g. tell me about how you approach an application rationalization)

Third interview was a case conducted by a Manager. Company X is looking to acquire Company Y. What are the most important things for them to consider when integrating their IT systems? How would you structure a team to help Company X achieve successful integration?

Last interview of the day was with a Managing Director and included another case around the integration of a specialty gas company into a company with a global network of commodity gas manufacturers operating as their own P&Ls. Questions were mostly around how the business should be structured (stay operating as distinct P&Ls or integrate) and their location strategy. Final question was about how to structure the IT organization to support the proposed structure.

After returning home, I was told I needed to meet with a Partner at my local office. That interview was scheduled approximately a week later and focused on what I could bring to the firm if hired. Questions included: What do you want to be famous for / why does your phone ring? What network of contacts could you bring that we could use to sell new work tomorrow?

Before leaving the interview, I was asked to take on a homework assignment. The assignment was to write a 2-4 page white paper on how IT could prove its value to the business. I was given until the end of the day to complete the assignment and send it back to the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to be famous for / why does your phone ring? What network of contacts could you bring that we could use to sell new work tomorrow?   Answer Question

Global Internship Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

Application review- be as detailed as possible; include as much prior international experience as possible; sound passionate
    phone interview-- 30 minutes, mostly logistics, asked: name two strengths and two things you can improve on; why would it benefit you to go abroad;Please describe any skills/experiences that have prepared you to work internationally.If selected, what do you anticipate will be your greatest challenge while abroad and how do you plan to minimize its impact?

Interview Questions

• what do you anticipate will be your greatest challenge while abroad and how do you plan to minimize its impact?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1 phone screen, 3 phone interviews, 2 in-person interviews

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding industry trends.   1 Answer

Credit Risk Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online,and was contacted on the phone by HR,followed by a phone screen with another HR,phone interview with Director and then was called on site...there were 4 interviews for 30minutes each-2directors and 2 senior associates.very helpful and make you feel comfortable.just general discussions, and getting to know you more

Interview Questions

• nothing was unexpected...in the initial phone screen with director, focus was more on documentation,but later just discussed behavioral and my past experience   Answer Question

IT Attestation Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I had networked extensively with KPMG recruiters on campus both at the career fair and open office hours. I was then invited for a first round interview on campus. The interview was laid back with a few behavioral questions. I could tell that the interviewer wanted to get to know me on a more persona level, so I was able to find some common interests to talk about in the interview. After successfully completing a first round interview on campus, I was invited to KPMG's Inside Look program. KPMG definitely wants you to feel comfortable in their office and give you the opportunity to engage in social conversations with many different professionals. Dinner followed after, which was very nice. On the second day of the Inside Look program, you get a more in depth look at the office and a sense of what it would be like working as a KPMG professional. I had two interviews - one with the Director of National Recruiting and another with a Senior Manager in the IT attestation practice. When meeting with the manager, I was being asked many behavioral questions left and right, as if I was trying to be thrown off guard. Within the last ten minutes of the interview, my interviewer took a complete "180" and we engaged in my social conversation and discussed what it would be like working on a team together.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when you had to relay a complicated message and how you did so."   Answer Question

Tax Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Recruiter from outside firm contacted me and then handed it over to the in-house HR. I had to email once to ask after a week of no response then I got an email that day to apply online and got a phone call to confirm. The actual interviews were with five people (two seniors then the remaining individually). They all were very welcoming and I was very comfortable throughout.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult questions. They just want to know who you are and what you have done.   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Intense interview. You can expect alot of technical questions about accounting, so be prepared. I interview with two people in the same room. Also, be prepared for critical thinking questions as well

Financial Management Entry-level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied through university career center. Attended their pre-night where I got to meet my interviewer. The interview was very casual, asking behavioral and situational questions. There was no case. I got invited to second rounds interviews 2 weeks later.
    Second round consisted of pre-night dinner with all other applicants, morning presentations to learn more about KPMG and then 2 30 min back-to-back interviews.

All the questions were more about fit than anything else. They had a very nice office and everyone was very welcoming and smart.

Interview Questions

• - How do you go about analyzing a problem?
      - Why KPMG/FM?
      Answer Question

EVS Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Went to various events on campus until I formed a relationship with the recruiter. Recruiter thought I would be a good fit for the position. She gave me the phone number of one of the team members. I called and asked some questions about the job. I had one interview on campus and then went to the office for 3 more interviews.

Interview Questions

• Pretty straight forward walk me through your resume questions.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at KPMG (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Well organized, prompt in replying to questions abiut interview results. The HRs were personable and easily approachable. There were 2 rounds of interview - campus interview and office interview. Office interview was done by partners and MDs. There was lunch with some of my practice people.