KPMG IT Advisory - Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jan 7, 2016

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at KPMG (Houston, TX).

Interview

Behavioral and conversational. very laid back and they really just want to get to know you. they just want to know that you can keep a conversation. The interviewer was very nice and wanted to understand what I like and what my hobbies are. The office visit was awesome and you get to meet most of the people you get to work with and ask any questions that you have in an informal way.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for KPMG

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at KPMG (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Interview process was very lengthy but overall easy. I had 2 phone screenings, 1 phone interview, and 2 on site interviews. I will say some of the people I talked to were not very informed about why they were even interviewing me. A bit of a mess and unorganized. Luckily despite everything, everyone I talked to was very friendly. The talks were pretty laid back and gave you a nice insight into prospective placement and culture.

IT Advisory Associate Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KPMG.

Interview

I was contacted by my recruiter who help me set up a Technical Interview with a Director at the firm. We spoke briefly about 30 minutes and let me know he would enage the recruiter if interested. Fast forward one week : I got a call and they were interested and to fly into the city for a interview Next week was the interview on Friday. Pretty easy. No behavioral. Nice culture

IT Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

About a week after the resume drop, I was invited for an on-campus 30 minute behavioral interview. It was pretty laid back, got to speak to the director for a long time, answered any questions I had. Just asked about my relevant experiences etc (very similar to what an experienced hire would be asked, less focus on STAR format, just talked about your past internships or classes/projects. A week later, heard back to come into their NYC Inside Look Day (which was scheduled for about 2 weeks after that). This was really fun overall, there was a dinner the night before with some other associates (I think this was just for us to ask any questions and relax us. I don't believe they were judging us/asked later on what their opinion was of us but I'm unsure). The next day, there was breakfast at the office, some information about KPMG then 2 two back to back behavioral interviews. Again, very conversational, however this time they did ask many STAR behavioral questions, but if you search and prepare the top interview questions, you'll be alright. Then there was a group activity with other candidates (we played pictionary! super fun and laid back no need to stress after the interviews are over). Then they took us out to lunch at a nice restaurant, gave a tour of the office and had some closing remarks. Overall, very relaxed and comfortable. I heard back with an offer 1.5 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you worked on a team and had a conflict. Leadership qualities?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2015.

Interview

Started with a pre-night at a local bar. Pretty laid back, just talked with some of the current employees. Interviewed the next morning with a manager. Standard behavioral questions: "Tell me a time where you...". Received a call about a week later for the second round. That started with a happy hour with managers and partners. Then after that we went bowling with current associates. Had a full day the next day that included presentations, lunch, and three 30 minute interviews. Interviews were extremely laid back - I think I only got asked one question out of all three. They just want to see that you can hold a conversation and ask relevant questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were faced with an overwhelming challenge at work or school and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at KPMG (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

I really don't understand their interviewing process. I applied for the IT Audit and Assurance position under IT Advisory. I tried for an internship last year only to be lectured on KPMG's history during the entire interview. After KPMG rejected me for the internship (even though I didn't actually get interviewed), I figured it wouldn't hurt to try again. I applied through my school's on-campus recruiting system and received an interview and pre-interview networking invite about a week later. I attended the pre-interview networking event and tried to engage with my prospective team, but each of them gave me strange vibes. I felt their eyes judging me as soon as I opened my mouth and couldn't shake the eerie feeling the entire night. Regardless, I asked questions and tried to learn about each of their experiences before the interview the next day. At the interview, I hoped for a different experience than my previous one. Unfortunately, it turned out to be exactly the same. My interviewer, whom I met the night before, talked the entire time about life at KPMG versus the other Big 4 firms and his experience transitioning from one of the competitors. With about five minutes left to go, he finally asks me to walk him through some of my experiences and explain why I chose KPMG. I gave him a brief summary of my resume and tried to explain my desire in KPMG without feeling the pressure of the clock. I chose to ask him how I would be evaluated and if he could provide any feedback for me based on the entire process. He told me from his impression that I had nothing to worry about. A week later, I received the rejection email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Denver, CO) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied through campus, was invited to the campus interview. There was a pre-interview reception the night before interview. I got there 15 minutes early and was to wait in a conference room where other KPMG people were there to greet and talk with you. I answered a few behavioral questions about team performance during the interview, but I made a few mistakes when answering those questions I believe I won't make it to the next round.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time when you enjoyed being in a team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Tysons Corner, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through my campus' job site and was invited to a first round interview on campus. There was a reception the night before the interviews, which was a great chance to meet people at the firm that were doing the sort of work I wanted to get into. Further, I was actually able to speak with my interviewer for a good amount of time, so we already knew each other going into the interview. First (and second round) were almost entirely behavioral, KPMG was mostly just curious about my technical IT-related skills - it seemed more important that I had an interest in technology rather than what I could code, etc. You definitely still need to know your resume and your experiences well, be able to answer all of the common behavioral interview questions, as most of them are asked. Second round, which was on-site, there were two interviews, one with a director and one with a partner. The partner interview was definitely a little bit "tougher", in that he was definitely digging into who I was and what sort of employee I would be. I was also able to get a very real view of what the job would be like from the director, which was awesome. Overall it was not a difficult process, just be excited to be there and make it very clear what your intentions are (for a full time job, an internship, etc).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Chose not to negotiate, as the initial offer was very good

IT Advisory - Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG.

Interview

Overall a very smooth and easy process. Applied through university and received a first round interview. There was a networking dinner the night before at a nearby restaurant, which was a great opportunity to meet employees and interviewers. The actual interview was super conversational. Met with a partner that was interested in getting to know me. Basically just went through my resume. A couple days later received an email inviting me for the second round Inside Look program at the office in New York City. Inside Look was a great program. Night before we got taken out to dinner with a few other candidates and few employees to a really nice restaurant. Very casual and great way to meet people you would be working with. The next day there was a breakfast and reception followed by the two interviews. Both interviewers were very nice. Pretty standard behavioral questions and definitely interested in why you wanted to work at KPMG/ to see if you were a good fit. After the interviews we were taken to lunch with more candidates and employees. Definitely want to wine and dine you. Lastly there was a Q&A session. Everyone was so nice and seemed to really be enjoying their work at KPMG. Got offer about two weeks later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Entry level position, not much room to negotiate

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was very easy they are not trying to ask technical questions. They want to get a feel for who you are and see if you are a good fit for their firm. They also "Wine & Dine" all of the interviewers, which is a nice change of pace from the other Big Four.