KPMG Advisory Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

KPMG Advisory Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2017

2.8

Advisory Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KPMG.

Interview

Had a phone screen interview with someone in another country for a job in the us. She wouldn't tell me what job I was being considered for nor what the next step was.

Interview Questions

• What do want to do with your career? What are you paid in your current position?   Answer Question

Regulatory Risk Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, had an on-campus interview and then went to the KPMG office in NYC for their Inside Look interview superday. The superday included two interviews with managers, two networking sessions(a dinner and a lunch) and a tour of the office. They also gave gift cards and paid for the food at the networking lunch and dinner at restaurants in Manhattan.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experiences? Describe at a time you worked in a group and what role did you have?   Answer Question

Operations Risk Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at KPMG (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

Had a campus interview following the application process. A week later I got a call about getting a second interview at their office. It was about a month later, and there were two interviews with senior management within Operations Risk. It was mostly behavioral and KPMG did a great job at showing you around and showing you the office.

Interview Questions

• Why Advisory? Why KPMG? And why Operations Risk?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at KPMG (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

It was a quick and painless process, the second round interview is pretty smooth and you get to meet senior managements. The questions are relatively easy, I didnt get many technical questions, just mostly behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you have to make a tough decisions.   Answer Question

Technical Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Fort Collins, CO) in October 2015.

Interview

KPMG recruits heavily from my university (Colorado State) for their Denver offices. I first met them at an information table they held at CSU's College of Business, then again at a "Meet the Firms" event hosted by one of the major accounting clubs at the college. Finally, we met again at the official College of Business "Job & Internship Expo" where they were recruiting for positions in all three areas: audit, tax, and advisory.

A week or so following the Expo, they invited all applicants to dinner at a local restaurant. There, we met with several current associates as well as a couple managers and directors and even a partner. The following day, they conducted on-campus interviews.

The on-campus interview was quite possibly the strangest interview of which I have been a part, but it was simultaneously one of the most affirming and thought-provoking interviews in which I've participated too. Why? The partner from dinner the previous night turned out to be my interviewer, and he didn't ask a single question for the entire half-hour segment. Instead, he told me that he wanted me to ask him questions.

The second round of interviews was to be held mid-November (about a month later) but I had a job offer expiring before then, so when I found out I made it to the second round I requested an earlier date. My recruiter was more than happy to comply and scheduled something the following week.

That day began with an associate I had met before taking me out to coffee and helping me get comfortable with the environment before the interviews started. Following that, I went on a tour of the office and interviewed with the manager of the application development section of advisory. Once that was done, I went for lunch with my recruiter and a couple associates, then returned and interviewed with the manager of a group that did enterprise software implementations. I was later told that the purpose of this was to see where I would be a "best fit" in the company.

My interview day concluded around 1pm, and literally half an hour after I left the office, my recruiter called with a job offer.

Overall, it was a very positive experience, and it's reassuring to see that everyone involved - from associates to managers to partners - treated me with respect even though I was still a lowly college student.

IT Advisory - Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2015.

Interview

Started with a pre-night at a local bar. Pretty laid back, just talked with some of the current employees. Interviewed the next morning with a manager. Standard behavioral questions: "Tell me a time where you...".

Received a call about a week later for the second round. That started with a happy hour with managers and partners. Then after that we went bowling with current associates. Had a full day the next day that included presentations, lunch, and three 30 minute interviews. Interviews were extremely laid back - I think I only got asked one question out of all three. They just want to see that you can hold a conversation and ask relevant questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were faced with an overwhelming challenge at work or school and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Advisory Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG in October 2015.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting website. It was great meeting the kpmg people at pre-interview night. Interview was laid-back behavioral conversation. Nice people and painless interview process. Did not hear back for a few weeks though.

IT Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

About a week after the resume drop, I was invited for an on-campus 30 minute behavioral interview. It was pretty laid back, got to speak to the director for a long time, answered any questions I had. Just asked about my relevant experiences etc (very similar to what an experienced hire would be asked, less focus on STAR format, just talked about your past internships or classes/projects. A week later, heard back to come into their NYC Inside Look Day (which was scheduled for about 2 weeks after that). This was really fun overall, there was a dinner the night before with some other associates (I think this was just for us to ask any questions and relax us. I don't believe they were judging us/asked later on what their opinion was of us but I'm unsure). The next day, there was breakfast at the office, some information about KPMG then 2 two back to back behavioral interviews. Again, very conversational, however this time they did ask many STAR behavioral questions, but if you search and prepare the top interview questions, you'll be alright. Then there was a group activity with other candidates (we played pictionary! super fun and laid back no need to stress after the interviews are over). Then they took us out to lunch at a nice restaurant, gave a tour of the office and had some closing remarks. Overall, very relaxed and comfortable. I heard back with an offer 1.5 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you worked on a team and had a conflict. Leadership qualities?   Answer Question

Associate Advisory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied through my college career services center and was invited to their first round on campus interview. The night before they invited the interviewees from my school to a networking social to meet some of the advisory team and learn more about the position. The first round interview itself was a relatively straightforward behavioral, 30 minute interview session with one of the partners.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to apply to KPMG's Associate Advisory program?   Answer Question

IT Advisory - Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at KPMG (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

I really don't understand their interviewing process.

I applied for the IT Audit and Assurance position under IT Advisory. I tried for an internship last year only to be lectured on KPMG's history during the entire interview. After KPMG rejected me for the internship (even though I didn't actually get interviewed), I figured it wouldn't hurt to try again.

I applied through my school's on-campus recruiting system and received an interview and pre-interview networking invite about a week later. I attended the pre-interview networking event and tried to engage with my prospective team, but each of them gave me strange vibes. I felt their eyes judging me as soon as I opened my mouth and couldn't shake the eerie feeling the entire night. Regardless, I asked questions and tried to learn about each of their experiences before the interview the next day.

At the interview, I hoped for a different experience than my previous one. Unfortunately, it turned out to be exactly the same. My interviewer, whom I met the night before, talked the entire time about life at KPMG versus the other Big 4 firms and his experience transitioning from one of the competitors. With about five minutes left to go, he finally asks me to walk him through some of my experiences and explain why I chose KPMG. I gave him a brief summary of my resume and tried to explain my desire in KPMG without feeling the pressure of the clock. I chose to ask him how I would be evaluated and if he could provide any feedback for me based on the entire process. He told me from his impression that I had nothing to worry about.

A week later, I received the rejection email.