KPMG IT Advisory - Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at KPMG

2.7

IT Advisory, Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at KPMG (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

Since it was through my college, I got the invitation to interview for the first round on campus.

First Round:
I met with a Sr. Associate before the interview with whom I had casual conversation about what I studied and all. Though it might not be termed as an interview, the person is evaluating your behavioral and communication skills. I was then escorted by him to the interview room where I met my interviewer who was a manager in the firm. It was the most unpleasant experience as it started with negative questions and comments, to which I was defending my position for the 1/2 hr. It might be one of the interview technique but never heard of it being practiced in Big 4. I learned from other interviewees that they had a similar experience. FYI: after I received the offer I made the HR aware of the experience and it was take very well and I hope they fixed the problem. After 2 weeks I heard back from HR that I was selected for the second round. Work of advice: Prepare well as you never know what might come your way. The interview was little technical and mainly behavioral.

Second Round:
This constituted a day long process of presentation, group-activity, breakfast, lunch, and two personal interviews. There were close to 30-40 interviewees with me, which was quite intimidating. Keep your spirits high to sustain the pressure. First, a partner gave a presentation of the business and the positions available. This was followed by formation of small groups to which a person was assigned to explain one of the key benefit of working at KPMG for which we had to prepare a small skit. This can be challenging as its matter of 5-10mins that you are asked to collaborate with 5 other interviewees and come up with a skit. I decided to be engaged but could not take a lead. This was the eye-opener of the level of people you will be competing with. This was followed by lunch with staff level employees, so be prepared for some good questions to show them your interest and commitment towards the company. You might wonder if all this is required, but now I participate in campus recruitment and we do give feedback about the interviewees we talked to. So be prepared to present your A game. After this there were two rounds of interview with Manager/Sr. Manager/Partner level people. Again little technical and more behavioral. Resources that helped me was glassdoor questions, general behavioral questions list, thorough research about the position and the structure of the company...and last but not the least Youtube. Yes! I saw couple of interviews of C level KPMG executives talking about the practice, problems facing the industry and practice, and outlook of growth in the coming years. This gave me the tools to speak their language and be well read of their problems and opportunities. This was the biggest help and probably a game changer.

I received a call after approx 20 days informing about the offer which I happily accepted! Hope this helped.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   1 Answer
  • Tell me about a project (one listed in the resume) and the challenges you faced. How did you resolve this   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didnt negotiate as I thought I didnt have the leverage since this was my first one after school.

Other Interview Reviews for KPMG

Associate, IT Advisory Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

It was very friendly and was mostly behavioral . Everyone was really nice and supportive throughout the whole process. No technical questions, personality quiz or whatsoever. Be prepared to talk and also be comfortable and confident in answering questions like " why did you apply for KPMG and why IT Advisory specifically?

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

1 on-campus interview, 1 in-person very easy process and the company makes you comfortable when you interview here. make sure you have a good understanding of the role and of the company. not too many technical questions, if any at all. great company to work for and great people.

Interview Questions

• standard interview questions, know a little bit about the firm and come with good targeted questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2015.

Interview

Started with a pre-night at a local bar. Pretty laid back, just talked with some of the current employees. Interviewed the next morning with a manager. Standard behavioral questions: "Tell me a time where you...".

Received a call about a week later for the second round. That started with a happy hour with managers and partners. Then after that we went bowling with current associates. Had a full day the next day that included presentations, lunch, and three 30 minute interviews. Interviews were extremely laid back - I think I only got asked one question out of all three. They just want to see that you can hold a conversation and ask relevant questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were faced with an overwhelming challenge at work or school and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at KPMG (Houston, TX).

Interview

Behavioral and conversational. very laid back and they really just want to get to know you. they just want to know that you can keep a conversation. The interviewer was very nice and wanted to understand what I like and what my hobbies are. The office visit was awesome and you get to meet most of the people you get to work with and ask any questions that you have in an informal way.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at KPMG (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Interview process was very lengthy but overall easy. I had 2 phone screenings, 1 phone interview, and 2 on site interviews. I will say some of the people I talked to were not very informed about why they were even interviewing me. A bit of a mess and unorganized. Luckily despite everything, everyone I talked to was very friendly. The talks were pretty laid back and gave you a nice insight into prospective placement and culture.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at KPMG (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Started with campus recruitment. But could not proceed due to sponsorship freeze for this position.Pursued after a year and got an opportunity for office visit. Very enthusiastic and friendly interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral type and past experience. Tell me about a situation where you had to work with a difficult team member. How would you manager describe you? Some technical questions based on my previous audit experience. Tell me about revenue process risks and control (be specific about system controls, not the manual ones.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online, One on-campus interview, 2 in-office interviews. Associates walk you through the interview day and take you to lunch to give you a more informal view of KPMG. There is usually a game played.

Interview Questions

• Why KPMG? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

IT Advisory Associate Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at KPMG.

Interview

I was contacted by my recruiter who help me set up a Technical Interview with a Director at the firm. We spoke briefly about 30 minutes and let me know he would enage the recruiter if interested.

Fast forward one week : I got a call and they were interested and to fly into the city for a interview

Next week was the interview on Friday. Pretty easy. No behavioral. Nice culture

IT Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at KPMG (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

About a week after the resume drop, I was invited for an on-campus 30 minute behavioral interview. It was pretty laid back, got to speak to the director for a long time, answered any questions I had. Just asked about my relevant experiences etc (very similar to what an experienced hire would be asked, less focus on STAR format, just talked about your past internships or classes/projects. A week later, heard back to come into their NYC Inside Look Day (which was scheduled for about 2 weeks after that). This was really fun overall, there was a dinner the night before with some other associates (I think this was just for us to ask any questions and relax us. I don't believe they were judging us/asked later on what their opinion was of us but I'm unsure). The next day, there was breakfast at the office, some information about KPMG then 2 two back to back behavioral interviews. Again, very conversational, however this time they did ask many STAR behavioral questions, but if you search and prepare the top interview questions, you'll be alright. Then there was a group activity with other candidates (we played pictionary! super fun and laid back no need to stress after the interviews are over). Then they took us out to lunch at a nice restaurant, gave a tour of the office and had some closing remarks. Overall, very relaxed and comfortable. I heard back with an offer 1.5 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you worked on a team and had a conflict. Leadership qualities?   Answer Question