Cover image for Kaplan

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

Kaplan SAT Teacher/Tutor Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2016

To filter interviews, or .
Found 4 of over 519 interviews

Interviews at Kaplan

Negative50%
Neutral50%
Applied online67%
Other33%
HardAverageEasy

Kaplan

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan

Interview

First you are invited for an "audition" in which you are given two SAT problems to prepare answers for. On the day of the audition, you record yourself online using a webcam explaining the problems, with 2 minutes per problem. You get one do-over per problem. After passing that round, you move on to the "technical interview" for which you prepare four SAT problems. You perform this interview with a recruiter over their video chat platform online, and it lasts for about an hour. You are asked to teach two of the four problems you prepared as if you're speaking to a class. You are also asked other behavioral questions as well. There is a third interview if you pass this one, in which you'd be speaking to the manager for the region you're applying for and is more about the logistics of the job and training.

Interview Questions
  • If a concerned parent comes to you wanting to know whether their son will achieve a specific score on the SAT, how would you respond?
    Answer Question
  • What was a time where you felt you had prepared very well for something but the event/exam in reality tested you in a way that you weren't prepared for, how did you adapt?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Kaplan (Providence, RI) in May 2014

Interview

I followed a link from linked in to the job application site, where I uploaded my resume and cover letter. The same day I received an email from an HR person requesting confirmation of my test scores. My math score was a little too low, so she invited me to take the "Turbo Test," Kaplan's online version of the SAT. Math scores were still low, but the HR person said Kaplan was still interested in bringing me on board just to tutor English. She sent me a separate email inviting me to record an audition I had five days to prepare and upload a 4-minute presentation of me delivering the solution to a simulated SAT question. I passed that wicket and a day later received requests for a background check, another online application with references, as well as directions on how to schedule a technical interview. I did the technical interview a few days later -- I talked with another Kaplan instructor through an Adobe chatroom, who asked me to present two SAT problems (I knew the problems ahead of time), as well as some typical personal interview questions ("Tell me about a time you had to ask for help," or "What is the last book you read?"). I felt pretty confident at the end of the interview, but I was not offered a position.

Interview Questions
  • Be prepared to evaluate yourself after presenting each problem -- what did you do well, and what would you change? Also prepare yourself to teach to the most basic level possible . . . be able to explain where a formula comes from, for example.
1 person found this interview helpful

What people are saying about Kaplan

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (Sacramento, CA) in Sep 2013

Interview

After submitting an application, I was emailed the next day by a talent recruiter. I then submitted an audition video. A few days after, I was told to schedule an interview with the manager. There was a wait of 2 weeks because she was on vacation. The interview was fine and the questions were fairly standard. I then had to prepare for another audition except this time, the audition was live via video feed. Other questions followed the audition. I submitted to a background screen and my references told me they were asked to fill out a form. I was informed the next morning after my references returned their forms.

Interview Questions
  • Not many difficult questions. They do ask "hypothetical situation" questions such as how you would interact with a disinterested student or what would you do if the classroom is locked.

Kaplan

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan in Sep 2011

Interview

Follow up so they don't forget about you! The stuff others have posted is right. Also you will only have to retest if your scores are expired (past 5 years). They send you a pdf; you must get a 96% on verbal or math depending on what yo want to tutor.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to teach for Kaplan? Why do you think you're qualified?
RSS Feed