Cover image for Kaplan

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

Kaplan Test Prep Teacher (G MAT/GRE/SAT/ACT Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2015

To filter interviews, or .
Found 4 of over 519 interviews

Interviews at Kaplan

Positive75%
Negative25%
Applied online100%
3.3
HardAverageEasy

Kaplan

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan in Jan 2015

Interview

It was a really drawn out interviewing process. First, I had to send in my SAT and ACT scores to prove that I'd scored in the 90th percentile and then they asked if I would be willing to take a practice GRE provided by them since they were in need of GRE tutors. I didn't do well on the mock GRE, probably because that was the first time I'd ever even seen a GRE. But moving forward, I was considered as an applicant and I had to submit a teaching tutorial (which goes by realllllyyy fast). It was a 2 minute teaching sample and I was given the questions beforehand. Then, I had a Skype interview with a Kaplan employee in New York. Very professional, the interview went well and it was overall a great experience. Followed by that, I received a call from the hiring manager in my area and she also asked me a few questions followed by me asking her questions about the job. All in all, the process took me about 2 months but that's only because the hiring manager was out of town for a week and then when it was up to me to schedule my Skype interview, I wasn't available for another week and half. Really, the process would've taken about a month without all the delays.

Interview Questions
  • How I would respond in certain situations. Ex: An unhappy student/customer
    2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan (Houston, TX)

Interview

First, you have to record an audition, which makes sense since you have to prove that you can teach. After that you're notified for an interview, which was done on Skype. The questions were pretty basic, like what are you passionate about and what makes you qualified to be a great teacher. That only last about 25 minutes. There were a lot of questions about availability and comfort level with class size and travel to teaching locations. Then, a third online interview called a "technical evaluation." This was still online, for a teaching position in a classroom of live students. But was assigned four questions. Didn't end up having to do them all and a lot of questions that amounted to how much would you really care about the job and how committed are you?

Interview Questions
  • If you had a student who was really struggling with the material and was ready to give up on the class, how would you respond to that student?
1 person found this interview helpful

What people are saying about Kaplan

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Kaplan (Boulder, CO)

Interview

There were some emails leading to a videoconferencing screening, with 5-6 of us... where we taught something for 2 minutes.

Interview Questions
  • It's been a while since this happened, so I don't actually remember. The topics for us to teach were shared in advance though, so they would not be ground-breaking.

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New Brunswick, NJ) in Mar 2009

Interview

Fairly straight forward process for the initial resume submission and interview. I submitted my resume online and got a call for an in-person interview. The difficult part of the "interview" came afterwards when candidates were placed in an intense 5 session (I think) teacher training course when we're taught how to teach Kaplan's method the Kaplan way. It was a good training course, but a few people in my group did not make it to the final round. Out of 5 people in my group, only 2 survived to get an actual offer at the end of the course.

Interview Questions
  • At the end of each "training session," was asked by the trainer how I felt I did in that session and what I felt I could improve on, what my overall weaknesses were.
RSS Feed