Kaplan Instructor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 2, 2017

2.7

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a series of three interviews and an immediate offer at the end of it.
    1. "Audition" interview - recording yourself teaching a few GMAT questions
    2. Skype interview - with a regional faculty instructor; you have to demonstrate how you'd teach a class + usual HR questions
    3. Skype interview #2 - with a regional faculty manager; several HR questions

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate a student who's frustrated with his/her progress in your class?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

Filled out an application first, then was contacted to complete an audition, which consisted of sending in a 4 minute video teaching two preprepared questions. Next, there was a technical interview approximately 1 hour long which also consisted of teaching four questions (given ahead of time). Last there was an interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• How do you teach a student that doesn't want to learn?   Answer Question

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

2 observed classroom demos. Actual interview was very brief. Mostly just 2 demos. The first was in front of teachers and admin. The 2nd was in front of a classroom of about 14 students. 3 people were supposed to be interviewed, but only 2 showed up. You had to use an E Whiteboard without being told how, which is really the industry standard now. The lesson was supposed to be timed. 5 minutes for the first one and 10 minutes for the 2nd. Friendly people and nice classes.

SAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (Honolulu, HI) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Then recorded a four-minute presentation of an example SAT problem. After passing that portion, set up a skype interview where I had to present two more SAT problems with the interviewer pretending to be a student. Then, he asked me a few typical interview questions. After passing that part, I had a second skype interview with the regional manager who asked some standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had a student who didn't want to learn?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if I parent wanted to guarantee their child got a certain score?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Kaplan?   Answer Question
    • If the SAT was a person, what kind of personality would they have?   Answer Question

LSAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was asked to record an "audition" where I taught a test problem. I completed a Skype interview about a week later, where I had to "teach" two questions to the interviewer, as well as answering some more typical interview questions about my experience and work styles. The third and final interview, also Skype, was with a local manager, who asked me some questions about teaching.

Interview Questions

• What are some challenges you expect to encounter as a teacher?   Answer Question

LSAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (Cleveland, OH) in August 2016.

Interview

After submitting a resume and an application online, I was contacted to record an audition. In this part of the process, I had to record myself teaching LSAT concept questions. Then, a few days later I was contacted for a video interview. Here I was matched with a Kaplan LSAT instructor and had to teach 3 questions. The interviewer pretended to be a student and would offer challenges and raise questions. He also asked me some general questions about teaching experienced and teaching scenarios during this interview. A week after, I was contacted to do a final virtual interview. I have yet to complete this part.

Interview Questions

• What would you do/say to a student if your student does not see any progress in their score   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (College Station, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

Not too bad. Very drawn out. Not very clear on the entire process. Three interviews. The interview was based mostly online.m, but after the initial audition, the second interview wasn't bad. Overall, the interview process isn't too complicated, but it is very long. The first interview was an audition that I recorded, the second was an hour long technical and the third will be with a manager.

Interview Questions

• Teach some sample questions   1 Answer

MCAT Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Kaplan in April 2016.

Interview

After I applied, I was contacted to record the Kaplan Audition online. While I was recording, I was having many technical difficulties.Several times, the connection would fail while I was recording. Once I finished recording the audition, but when I went to submit, the website said that I would have to rerecord my answer. I ended submitting incomplete responses, so I contacted the recruiter and they allowed me to try to record the audition again.

ESL Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

The interview consists of your conversaton with the academic director or the center director. They will ask you to answer some commom questions,in a very posite and open way.
    Tell about your teaching phylosophy and represent one of t your favorite teaching techniques.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience.
      Give some examples of how you teach big groups.
      Demonstrate one lesson plan
      Answer Question

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

Simple and straight forward. Applied online. Went to interview. Asked to come in for a second interview. Simple and straight forward. Applied online. Went to interview. Asked to come in for a second interview. Simple and straight forward. Applied online. Went to interview. Asked to come in for a second interview.Simple and straight forward. Applied online. Went to interview. Asked to come in for a second interview.