Kaplan Instructor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2017

2.8

45 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

First round was submitting an "audition" explaining a test problem, then a technical interview where you teach more questions, then an interview with the local manager you would report to. Went really quick, fast to get the ball rolling.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Submitted video interview of answering prepared questions and then scheduled a technical interview, which is a live Skype session with an instructor where you also teach prepared questions.

MCAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2017.

Interview

Step 1 was an application that included submitting proof of MCAT score in at least 90th percentile. I was then invited to submit an audition video. This consisted of teaching a topic for 2 mins and then teaching a related practice problem for 2 mins. I step 3 was an interview with a veteran teacher that consisted of teaching him/her a couple practice problems and answering questions about how to handle certain scenarios in class. Step 4 was an interview with a local manager which mostly involved learning more about what it would actually look like to work for Kaplan.

Interview Questions

• How to solve this problem? How to handle this situation?   Answer Question

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a series of three interviews and an immediate offer at the end of it.
    1. "Audition" interview - recording yourself teaching a few GMAT questions
    2. Skype interview - with a regional faculty instructor; you have to demonstrate how you'd teach a class + usual HR questions
    3. Skype interview #2 - with a regional faculty manager; several HR questions

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate a student who's frustrated with his/her progress in your class?   Answer Question

MCAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

Filled out an application first, then was contacted to complete an audition, which consisted of sending in a 4 minute video teaching two preprepared questions. Next, there was a technical interview approximately 1 hour long which also consisted of teaching four questions (given ahead of time). Last there was an interview with the hiring manager.

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

2 observed classroom demos. Actual interview was very brief. Mostly just 2 demos. The first was in front of teachers and admin. The 2nd was in front of a classroom of about 14 students. 3 people were supposed to be interviewed, but only 2 showed up. You had to use an E Whiteboard without being told how, which is really the industry standard now. The lesson was supposed to be timed. 5 minutes for the first one and 10 minutes for the 2nd. Friendly people and nice classes.

SAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (Honolulu, HI) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Then recorded a four-minute presentation of an example SAT problem. After passing that portion, set up a skype interview where I had to present two more SAT problems with the interviewer pretending to be a student. Then, he asked me a few typical interview questions. After passing that part, I had a second skype interview with the regional manager who asked some standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had a student who didn't want to learn?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if I parent wanted to guarantee their child got a certain score?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Kaplan?   Answer Question
    • If the SAT was a person, what kind of personality would they have?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was asked to record an "audition" where I taught a test problem. I completed a Skype interview about a week later, where I had to "teach" two questions to the interviewer, as well as answering some more typical interview questions about my experience and work styles. The third and final interview, also Skype, was with a local manager, who asked me some questions about teaching.

Interview Questions

• What are some challenges you expect to encounter as a teacher?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (Cleveland, OH) in August 2016.

Interview

After submitting a resume and an application online, I was contacted to record an audition. In this part of the process, I had to record myself teaching LSAT concept questions. Then, a few days later I was contacted for a video interview. Here I was matched with a Kaplan LSAT instructor and had to teach 3 questions. The interviewer pretended to be a student and would offer challenges and raise questions. He also asked me some general questions about teaching experienced and teaching scenarios during this interview. A week after, I was contacted to do a final virtual interview. I have yet to complete this part.

Interview Questions

• What would you do/say to a student if your student does not see any progress in their score   Answer Question

Esol Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Online application was followed by a phone call inviting me to come in for a interview. The response time was very quick and all of the staff involved were very friendly and professional. I was invited to attend a group interview, during which I was asked to prep and present a 10 minute demo lesson based on a chapter in their curriculum book.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about your experience with TEFL and ESOL.   Answer Question