Kaplan Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 12, 2017

2.8

Student Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kaplan (Davis, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

3 stage Interview process with
    1) Personal Recording
    2) Phone
    3) Skype

The interviewers were very timely, polite, and professional. Overall I thought the interview experience was great. Even though I wasn't offered the position, I thought it was a great experience!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

Phone interview and then one interview in person. I was recommended by a friend so I emailed the person in charge and then she set up a phone interview with me which was really brief and informal- mostly just set up a time for me to come in. Then I had an in person interview that covered why I wanted the position and why I would be good for the position on campus. I talked about having a big network and being really involved on campus, thus I coudl connect with a lot of people.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position   1 Answer

Student Finance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Kaplan (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Got an email to set up an interview the next day after applying to the position. Interview process was with a group panel of employees who will work closely with the position and Campus President.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with someone in your dept who applied for the same position?   Answer Question

MCAT Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Kaplan in April 2016.

Interview

After I applied, I was contacted to record the Kaplan Audition online. While I was recording, I was having many technical difficulties.Several times, the connection would fail while I was recording. Once I finished recording the audition, but when I went to submit, the website said that I would have to rerecord my answer. I ended submitting incomplete responses, so I contacted the recruiter and they allowed me to try to record the audition again.

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

Telephone screen interview with HR, then a secondary phone interview with the hiring manager. At that time, there is a wait to decide whether to proceed. Once selected, asked to come in person to the office and interview with the hiring manager. Then, they got back to me to interview with additional people on an additional day.

It was spread out over a very long time so it seemed very slow. Also, you weren't sure of how far you were progressing in the process or where in the process you were.

Interview Questions

• Why was I interested in working for them, and my thoughts on education.   Answer Question

Part Time Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (Denver, CO) in March 2016.

Interview

After emailing over your resume and letter of interest I got a call to briefly talk about the position and why I might be interested. They ask you to come in an teach a subject of your choosing for 3-5 minutes. You do this in a group setting so they ask you block off enough time to stay for all presentations. If you pass to the next step they give you some material of theirs to cover. They ask you present for 45 minutes, again in a group setting and waiting for everyone else to teach as well. I felt they set us up a little to fail on this part. They said we needed to prepare to cover the material they gave us in 45 minutes, and when I was just going thought the slides it was taking me a little over an hour to get through them, so of course, I thought I just needed to stick to exactly what they said and not elaborate at all, when come to find out, they usually take 3 hours to cover the material so there is time for elaboration. They passed me on to the third stop which was an IQ/ personality test on the computer. In total, I probably have right around 11-12 hours invested in the interview process (including preparing presentations, reading all material, being at the interviews, picking up materials) which is just way too much time if you don't intend to hire someone. It is also very frustrating that they never discuss what the pay will be. The whole process took a little over a month. If you are hired you have to sit through classes (like a student) prior to teaching anything. The initial interview I had scheduled had to be moved also, which is frustrating for people who are currently employed. The process was also very different from what we first told would happen (that the second part of the interview would be us watching an instructor cover the material and then coming back later and trying to cover the material in the same way).

Interview Questions

• They honestly don't ask a lot of questions. After I taught the longer portion they asked if I would do it differently knowing there was more that 3x the amount of time to cover the material than what I was given.   1 Answer

ESL Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

The interview consists of your conversaton with the academic director or the center director. They will ask you to answer some commom questions,in a very posite and open way.
    Tell about your teaching phylosophy and represent one of t your favorite teaching techniques.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience.
      Give some examples of how you teach big groups.
      Demonstrate one lesson plan   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

HR rep in Chicago was late for the first phone interview, and seemed scattered. Hiring manager in Florida had an attitude and asked too many personal questions during the next phone interview, which seemed to bias my standing as a candidate because it didn't match up to his personal hobbies (looking for a golf buddy). This made it an uncomfortable interview - some people should not be allowed to be an interviewer. HR rep sent me an email a month later saying that they weren't moving forward with me, and she would call me the next day to discuss. And of course, didn't. Kaplan and its industry has such a bad reputation, so I guess that this interview behavior is par for the course.

SAT/ACT Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan in January 2016.

Interview

The entire process is online. I submitted my application and heard back a day later to do a 4-minute interview. You are given a choice of 3 problems and must teach one to a camera. It's a bit tough to fit into the time constraints. After that, I had to have a technical interview with a long-time Kaplan instructor. I was again given a choice of problems and had to teach two.

I lucked out as my interviewer was very friendly and gave good constructive feedback. Be careful on which problems you choose as some will be lengthier. During the interview, I had to present two problems. After I presented the first problem, I was given feedback and had to incorporate it into the second problem. It went well but the interview was lengthy (1 hr+). Also, prepare to introduce yourself, talk about why Kaplan/why teaching, and some situational questions. I cannot stress enough to do the easier problems. Also, prepare for the fact that they have never seen the problem before, so think of creative ways to make a reading/writing problem interactive.

After the technical interview, I interviewed via Google Hangouts with a local faculty manager. Be sure to understand how hangouts works (the invitation is in the email link!). I didn't know this and was late to the interview. This was super casual and I was asked questions about myself and my availability.

It was a lengthy process (1-month) from interviews to being hired which was a bit frustrating. Training is also around 25+ hours.

Teacher/Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

You have to go through several online interviews. The questions involve them asking about you as a person and your teaching philosophy. Then you have to mock-tutor one of them by going through the questions and explaining it. They will tell you after each question what you could have done better and what you did well.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if the student didn't understand the question?   Answer Question