Kaplan Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Kaplan Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2017

2.8

ESL Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

The interview consists of your conversaton with the academic director or the center director. They will ask you to answer some commom questions,in a very posite and open way.
    Tell about your teaching phylosophy and represent one of t your favorite teaching techniques.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience.
      Give some examples of how you teach big groups.
      Demonstrate one lesson plan   Answer Question

SAT/ACT Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan in January 2016.

Interview

The entire process is online. I submitted my application and heard back a day later to do a 4-minute interview. You are given a choice of 3 problems and must teach one to a camera. It's a bit tough to fit into the time constraints. After that, I had to have a technical interview with a long-time Kaplan instructor. I was again given a choice of problems and had to teach two.

I lucked out as my interviewer was very friendly and gave good constructive feedback. Be careful on which problems you choose as some will be lengthier. During the interview, I had to present two problems. After I presented the first problem, I was given feedback and had to incorporate it into the second problem. It went well but the interview was lengthy (1 hr+). Also, prepare to introduce yourself, talk about why Kaplan/why teaching, and some situational questions. I cannot stress enough to do the easier problems. Also, prepare for the fact that they have never seen the problem before, so think of creative ways to make a reading/writing problem interactive.

After the technical interview, I interviewed via Google Hangouts with a local faculty manager. Be sure to understand how hangouts works (the invitation is in the email link!). I didn't know this and was late to the interview. This was super casual and I was asked questions about myself and my availability.

It was a lengthy process (1-month) from interviews to being hired which was a bit frustrating. Training is also around 25+ hours.

Communications Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

HR rep in Chicago was late for the first phone interview, and seemed scattered. Hiring manager in Florida had an attitude and asked too many personal questions during the next phone interview, which seemed to bias my standing as a candidate because it didn't match up to his personal hobbies (looking for a golf buddy). This made it an uncomfortable interview - some people should not be allowed to be an interviewer. HR rep sent me an email a month later saying that they weren't moving forward with me, and she would call me the next day to discuss. And of course, didn't. Kaplan and its industry has such a bad reputation, so I guess that this interview behavior is par for the course.

Teacher/Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

You have to go through several online interviews. The questions involve them asking about you as a person and your teaching philosophy. Then you have to mock-tutor one of them by going through the questions and explaining it. They will tell you after each question what you could have done better and what you did well.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if the student didn't understand the question?   Answer Question

Business Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

Very quick. No extended wait. Recruiter was first step and they were very helpful and knowledgeable. Met with supervisor in person next which went well. Then had video interview with colleague and VP. Lots of interviews steps and repeat questions but you get a good understanding of company feel and culture. They look to learn what you can bring to the table and how you can help them grow. Leadership and creativity a must.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
      Why Kaplan?
      Experience in Relationship Building/Sales?   Answer Question

Negotiation

very little negotiation

Admissions Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

2 steps. One a test on sending emails and then a mock sales demo with a Director. It was very little about the job and very much about my ability to sell.

Interview Questions

• Pretend I'm a potential student, how do you convince me I need to enroll? Even if I say I can't afford it or don't have a computer?   1 Answer

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

Simple and straight forward. Applied online. Went to interview. Asked to come in for a second interview. Simple and straight forward. Applied online. Went to interview. Asked to come in for a second interview. Simple and straight forward. Applied online. Went to interview. Asked to come in for a second interview.Simple and straight forward. Applied online. Went to interview. Asked to come in for a second interview.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kaplan (Schaumburg, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

Had an initial phone screening interview with HR. The next day, I met with the hiring AVP and discussed the needs of the new role, reviewed my qualifications and how I would contribute to fill in the gaps. Unfortunately, the role as published online was not the same role for which I ended up interviewing.

Interview Questions

• What are you most proud of from your professional career?   Answer Question

Kaplan Brand Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kaplan (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

I went into the Kaplan office to inquire about the position and the advisor that was working at the desk gave me a referral. I applied online and within a few days, Kaplan sent me an interview date. There were two interviews. The first one was on the phone and the second one was through FaceTime.

Interview Questions

• Name some leadership roles that you have on campus   1 Answer

Faculty Manager (Test Prep) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

Associate Director emailed me to select a slot on their google calendar for an interview. Connected with the AD on Skype. The interview was virtual and lasted an hour. Have been told it is a four step process. I've only completed the first step (interview #1), so far. Interviewer was friendly and explained processes well.