Kaplan Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 2, 2017

2.7

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a series of three interviews and an immediate offer at the end of it.
    1. "Audition" interview - recording yourself teaching a few GMAT questions
    2. Skype interview - with a regional faculty instructor; you have to demonstrate how you'd teach a class + usual HR questions
    3. Skype interview #2 - with a regional faculty manager; several HR questions

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate a student who's frustrated with his/her progress in your class?   Answer Question

Government Relations Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

one interview. Pretty easy. It was my current boss and the women whose position I was taking over. Very friendly and professional. Probably took a total of 20 minutes. Normal questions like where do you see yourself, what is your prior experience, how does Kaplan fit into your plans, do you have any questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

2 observed classroom demos. Actual interview was very brief. Mostly just 2 demos. The first was in front of teachers and admin. The 2nd was in front of a classroom of about 14 students. 3 people were supposed to be interviewed, but only 2 showed up. You had to use an E Whiteboard without being told how, which is really the industry standard now. The lesson was supposed to be timed. 5 minutes for the first one and 10 minutes for the 2nd. Friendly people and nice classes.

LSAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was asked to record an "audition" where I taught a test problem. I completed a Skype interview about a week later, where I had to "teach" two questions to the interviewer, as well as answering some more typical interview questions about my experience and work styles. The third and final interview, also Skype, was with a local manager, who asked me some questions about teaching.

Interview Questions

• What are some challenges you expect to encounter as a teacher?   Answer Question

Kaplan Student Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY).

Interview

They hire from within first. They are big on referrals from employees.
    Interview style Casual / Basic.
    Group interview style. Each person asked a question.
    They you had to do a demonstration (teach something, convince them on something,etc. ) - you choose the topic.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non negotiable. It started at that rate and no wiggle room really.

Content Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I went through a double pronged process. 1st stage was to determine if I was a qualified professional and second was on my temperament. I had no problem proving them the the 1st. The 2nd portion turned out into a full blown psych analysis by my former boss (now fired from the company). Needless to say I had a full on verbal debate and discussion, which was not pleasant at times. I stood my ground. I didn't loose my temper. I stayed close to my message. Despite all that I was hired on the spot. I am happy to report that that individual no longer works with the Kaplan. Interview process has become less formal.

Interview Questions

• 1. How would you solve x, y, z?
      2. Where do you see yourself in the future x years?
      3. Why do you think you will be a good fit for the organization?
      1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

To qualify for an interview, i had to take the test I was applying for and score in top 10%. All interviews were via teleconferencing. My first interview was with someone from corporate, then I had to give a mock lesson with my future manager. My manager was very bottom line; he evaluated the teaching skills I showed in the mock lesson.

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem student you've had and how you handled him/her.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

They had me do a mock lesson as an interview. I thought it was pretty much a question of hiring me or not - I didn't realize that my hourly pay would also be set based on what they perceived my ability to be and never change after that. Anyway, if you apply here, bring all you have to impress them in the mock lesson: make it student-centered and communicative. And it is probably best to make it something for advanced students as Kaplan has a lot of more advanced students.

Negotiation

When I got the job offer I was surprised at the hourly rate they paid as it was significantly less than I would have expected. However I assumed that it would be the same for every new teacher. Later I realized that most of my coworkers make a couple bucks more than me per hour and getting any kind of raise is pretty much a joke. That is pretty frustrating. I wish I had thought of trying to negotiate at all.

Business Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Several phone calls and a group video call. Basic questions about background, why interested in the job, what skills you can bring and opportunity to ask questions. Make sure to read the job description closely and to understand what is necessary on the job. Also will help to research the people you may be working with ahead of time. In many ways the organization is traditional with leadership having the greatest say in the hiring process along with HR.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Was emailed and an interview was set up in the Empire State Building. No demo lesson was required. The interviewer asked a few questions and explained the methodology at Kaplan, stressing that most students come there to study on vacations and that the mood is not especially academic.
    Declined the job offer due to the laughably low pay.