Kaplan Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Kaplan Teacher Interview Questions

2.5

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

To qualify for an interview, i had to take the test I was applying for and score in top 10%. All interviews were via teleconferencing. My first interview was with someone from corporate, then I had to give a mock lesson with my future manager. My manager was very bottom line; he evaluated the teaching skills I showed in the mock lesson.

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem student you've had and how you handled him/her.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Kaplan

Teacher Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kaplan in March 2009.

Interview

The Kaplan interview process is as follows. First you go to an 'audition,' before which you fill out a 10 (yes, 10) page application. This includes not only your work and educational history back to high-school, including your starting and ending salaries at each job, but also your test scores, criminal record, three references, and detailed credit information. I asked why they needed to pull our credit reports and they replied that it was due to the fact that we might be teaching teenagers. The connection in my mind is still unclear. I also find it odd that they would need such detailed salary information for a job where the salary is non-negotiable.

The 'audition' consists of a 45 minute long schpiel on the history of Kaplan and why the company is so successful. Then each candidate does a five minute presentation in front of the other candidates. So be prepared to set aside a two hour period, at least, for the audition. So far as I can tell, anyone who is mildly coherent will pass the audition. Only when pressed did they explain what the actual pay is like and many important details are not released until your one-on-one interview. Let me break it down for you here.

Training:
    5 weeks of two 3 hour long classes/wk. Lots of homework and prep. Pay is for class time only. $7-8/hr.

Teaching:
    They assign classes two months out (they don't tell you this in the audition, just the interview) so after training you will likely wait a month. During this time I believe you can get paid for proctoring exams - $7-8/hr. Once you receive your class, the breakdown is as follows. In Class Time: $20/hr. Out of class preparation, emailing, proctoring, etc.: $7-8/hr. There are roughly two hours of prep for each hour of class-time, giving you an average salary of $10-12/hr.

Tutoring:
    After one cycle of teaching you are eligible to tutor. Kaplan charges the student $140/hr. You receive $25/hr for tutoring time, $7-8/hr for prep time. This raises your average salary to about $13-13.60/hr.

One on One Interview:
    It was fairy easy to schedule an interview. I let them know my schedule and they gave me a slot. I arrived, on time, and the interview started about 15 minutes late. After twenty minutes of discussing my qualifications, I was asked about my availability. After the interview I never heard back from Kaplan either way.

Interview Questions

• What would you do with a student who is having trouble or test anxiety?   Answer Question
    • Can you guarantee your ongoing availability?   Answer Question

I explained, as it said on my application, that I could work for 6 months, after which I had to move for graduate school. I mentioned that at that time I would be happy to switch to one of Kaplan's other centers. I was told that unless I could guarantee I would not move, they didn't 'feel comfortable' giving me the job and I was asked pointed questions about why I couldn't attend a local school. I was told I would receive a final answer in a few days. I never heard anything after that but I had already decided to decline.

Teacher Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Kaplan in May 2007.

Interview

It's hard to say, really. It's definitely not a hard process - as long as you have scored highly enough on the test that you want to teach, you are good talking in front of people, and there is an opening available, you should be able to get a job.

Teacher Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Kaplan in March 2007.

Interview

The main event is teach people how to do something fun and typically non-academic; e.g. play a musical instrument. Your students are the other job candidates and the interviewers of course. You also need have scored in roughly the top 2-5% on the test you will be initially teaching.

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation as far as I remember, but I didn't try.