Kaplan Test Prep Instructor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Kaplan Test Prep Instructor Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2017

Test Prep Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep.

Interview

First you have to take the test and get be in the top 90 %. Then take a video interview answering typical questions. They tell you the questions before hand. Then another interview with a teacher which they call a technical interview but it is not, then another interview after that

Interview Questions

• They give you pre assigned test questions. You need to make sure you can explain how to solve them. Gre,lsat,gmat..ect.   1 Answer

ACT Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep.

Interview

Applied online and then got invited to do an online audition where you teach a couple questions . Next, got invited to do a technical interview with an experienced teacher. The interview was a combination of teaching questions and answering normal interview questions. Finally, there is an interview with a faculty manager which is just a normal interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a student was having trouble grasping what you were teaching?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orem, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep (Orem, UT) in March 2017.

Interview

After I received a 95th percentile (518) on a practice MCAT, I received an email inviting me to apply. I submitted my resume, which only includes minimal tutoring/TA experience. They invited me to submit an "audition." The audition was me filming myself teaching an MCAT question in under 5 minutes. This was very easy. I was invited to continue and take the hour long"technical interview." Which included being prepared to teach 5 difficult MCAT questions to an interviewer via an online interview. I was asked to teach one of the questions. During the process, I asked, "do you have any questions?" The interviewer then asked about 20 questions about "is [this] on the MCAT? Is [that] on the MCAT?" He then lectured me about how the MCAT is about test-taking skills and not about knowledge recall. He also lectured me that asking "any questions?" was a cardinal sin in MCAT teaching. This was frustrating because I felt like he only cared about my ability to teach test-taking skills, despite all the material provided to me was focused on the subject matter and my ability to teach the subject matter. I felt misled and unprepared.
    I also felt the interview was unprepared. He had never seen my resume. He hadn't watched my audition. And he assumed I had already taken the MCAT even though the recruiter that set up the interview knew I had only taken practice tests.
    Within a week of the technical interview, I was notified that I didn't get the job.

Nursing Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

The process was all automated, there was an initial audition and then a web based interview. However the pay was mentioned at the end and they only pay $15/hour for 15-18 hrs of training and minimum wage for 40+ hours of prep - this is not appropriate pay for a nursing professional with a Masters degree

Interview Questions

• How would you handle it if you got bad reviews after the first day of teaching a 4 day class?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online. They require a high MCAT score. Was contacted a few days later. Did 4 minute teaching lesson. Then, 60-min teaching interview with an MCAT instructor who was a hiring manager about a week later. Then, 30-min traditional interview with regional manager a week after that. Was hired within that week.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when working with someone else was difficult.   Answer Question

Kaplan MCAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

There were 4 steps in the process. The first was to fill out an application online. The second was a Teacher Audition, where you have to record yourself for 4 minutes teaching 2 problems. The third was a Technical Interview, where you have to teach a Kaplan instructor several problems, along with a few standard interview questions. The fourth was the final interview, which was standard interview questions and logistics if they were to hire you.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to teach for Kaplan?   Answer Question
    • What is one thing about yourself that I would not have guessed?   Answer Question
    • What is one interesting science fact that always blows your mind?   Answer Question
    • Let's say you had a classroom where 3 students were really excelling and another 3 students were really struggling. How would you teach such a classroom?   Answer Question

SAT/ACT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

The interview process is the same as the other description from other interviewers. 2 rounds was my experience. You may be expected to some traveling or commuting for the job.

Interview Questions

• The questions were standard fare questions so nothing out of the ordinary. Expect to use examples from your teaching and tutoring experience. Interviewer was not professionally dressed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep (Richmond, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

The interviewing process was long and convoluted, involving a teaching audition that lasts for 4 minutes, an approx. 1 hour long technical interview, and a 30-45 minute interview with the hiring manager. Between each step, it takes typically a few days for Kaplan to review your performance and decide whether to invite you to the next step or not.

LSAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview was online in three parts. The first two went were practical. You have to be able to show that you can explain the material. First you film yourself and for the second interview you explain it in front of your interviewer who acts as the student. The third interview was more general.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep (Houston, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

It is a 3 stage interview process: (1) I prepared a video where I taught two SAT topics (one verbal and one quantitative), which I submitted as the first stage of the interview. (2) For stage 2, I was interviewed by a Kaplan instructor. I was asked to do more teaching and he played the role of a student. (3) The third stage was an interview by a manager.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you got to a venue and the door to the classroom was locked? What if this had happened previously and a parent was angry about it?   Answer Question