Kaplan University Admissions Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2017

2.6

30 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

I first had a Kaplan recruiter contact me after I applied for the position to do a phone interview. She basically stated the job description and set me up for an in-person interview the following week on at their Orlando, FL location near the campus of UCF.

Red Flag #1 The recruiter followed-up several times prior to the interview. She called the day before to ask if I was ready or nervous. She even called the morning of the interview while I was attempting to get to my interview. The recruiter she was pushing you to be sure you attend your interview because I'm guessing it's part of their pay plan. I honestly spoke to the recruiter more times than I did my own friends and family during the process. There's a big difference between follow-up and overkill, I felt like I was answering the phone from a telemarketer.

I walked through a very crowded call center into the interview room. There were 3 people present. The Director of Admissions, a manager and a superior of the admissions director that was observing there work. The interview were your typical behavior STAR questions.

Red Flag #2: I inquired as to why the position was open and they stated it was due to growth. Unfortunately, I prefer honest answers. They layoff every year in this department and they give you cold leads. I also made sure I did not let them know I knew many employees that are currently employed with the company all of which said they would not recommend working of the company. They were also seeking someone to Tuesday-Sunday. (So that means you'll never be compensated for holidays that are observed on Mondays).

Red Flag #3 I asked why have their enrollments decreased year over year and what is their target enrollment numbers for year-end 2017. The response from the director was it is due to the guidelines/restrictions from the department of education. The accurate information is that Kaplan University has been cited for improper recruitment practices and has been riddled with lawsuits. I also have a friend that has been paid out in a class action lawsuit because of this.

Red Flag #4 The interviewers asked about my years of employment, which felt like an age discriminatory question. At this point though, I knew that they were threatened by an individual with so much work experience.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time personal/professional in which you went above your duties to help someone feel better.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Kaplan University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

I was recruited and agreed to have an interview with the director and another associate. I was advised it would be an Behavioral type interview and prepared accordingly. I have had many interviews of this type.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you failed and what you did about it. Tell me about a time when you didn't listen and what happened. Every question was negative! On and on...sorry, but I would rather talk about my achievements and successes in life.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

First is a phone screen interview via recruiter typically internal, then a face to face with 1 or 2 managers. It was more of a situational interview, very straight forward. Both managers I interviewed with had little eye contact and took notes almost the entire time. Overall it can feel slightly intimidating with the interview style but if you're prepared it's not bad.

Interview Questions

• Give me a scenario in which you had to overcome an objection and it was successful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

After completing my application, I was contacted a week later. After completing 2 phone interviews, i was called for an in person interview. I was hired 2-3 weeks later. The training was about 4 weeks long and benefits were available the first day of training.

Interview Questions

• How do you build a rapport with potential students?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job via the Kaplan website. About one day later if not the same day, I received an email from a recruiter who provided a link via email. The link was to a virtual interviewing site that the interviewee was to acesss with a device that has a camera. I used my laptop. I was given an essay question to answer first, where I had to type out a response. The rest of the interview consisted of me answering about six interview questions on camera with no one at the other end. Its just you looking at yourself for two minutes at a time which is very distracting by the way. I also had to fake sell them a product as an answer to one of the interview questions.

I did not get the in person interview. However, based on the reviews they saved me a headache so I am thankful. I actually interviewed for this position back in 2011 and was invited back for a second interview where I met with one of the directors. I did not get the job because well...you can fill in the blanks. The HR rep actually called me back and said she did not agree with his decision not to hire me and that she felt I was a good candidate for the position. However, bias lurks everywhere so what can you do.

Kaplan, you should loose that video process that you do. Its ineffective and shows you are cutting corners. I did not get the job and yet never got to actually speak with a human being? Come on now. Give people a fair shot and allow them to come in and interview in person. Like I said, you guys saved me a headache because you have a plethora of complaints on this website from current employees. Plus I read that the pay has changed to a low base plus commission, rather than a straight salary. Your people are misrable.

Interview Questions

• One question I remember is the age old question of tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Admissions Advisor Interview

Interview

I have interviewed for three different positions in my time at Kaplan and received two of three job offers. The interview process typically starts with a recruiter calling you and conducting a phone interview, if passed on then a manager of the division you are applying to will conduct another phone interview and if that is successful you will receive a third and final in person interview thereafter with about three managers. Some time after that you will get a call from the recruiter about an offer and an e-mail with offer details.

Interview Questions

• There questions are mostly typical of what the students will ask and how you respond to them and various behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in September 2014.

Interview

3 interviews in total ... general background questinos, behavioral based questions...phone screen interview, interview with recruiter face to face, interview with director of admissions face to face
    wait for follow up calls, shadowing, discuss offer letter, negotiated terms, started, trained

Admission Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Kaplan University in July 2014.

Interview

I was given a phone interview by a recruiter and ask some behavioral questions, at the end of our 25 minutes interview she offer to set me up for a second interview with a manager. I had the interview and was interviewed by the ADOA and the DOA. They threw behavioral questions requesting to give examples and outcomes.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when I plan something that back fired on me, honestly I have never made an work related plans that back fired   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't attempt to negotiate since they were pay pretty well compared to other colleges

Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Plantation, FL) in April 2014.

Interview

Sat with the Asst Director of Admissions and was asked general admissions questions. How do you overcome objections, how do you get someone to open up & relate while on a 15-20 min conversation.

Interview Questions

• How do you overcome objections?
      How long do you wait to discuss school?
      When do you talk about finances?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Plantation, FL) in March 2014.

Interview

Several phone screenings, then 2 face to face interviews with management. This can take some time, it took over 2 weeks for me to complete from start to finish. They do request a great deal of documents and this can take time as well.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you would contribute to Kaplan University, your Admission Team, and your potential students?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiate your skills and place emphasis on the fact that you get what you pay for. I know i was getting underpaid for this position, but was very interested in working with Kaplan. In addition they do pay for you to continue your education, so place that value into your negotiations if you are interested.