Kaplan University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 11, 2017

2.7

24 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

I first had a Kaplan recruiter contact me after I applied for the position to do a phone interview. She basically stated the job description and set me up for an in-person interview the following week on at their Orlando, FL location near the campus of UCF.

Red Flag #1 The recruiter followed-up several times prior to the interview. She called the day before to ask if I was ready or nervous. She even called the morning of the interview while I was attempting to get to my interview. The recruiter she was pushing you to be sure you attend your interview because I'm guessing it's part of their pay plan. I honestly spoke to the recruiter more times than I did my own friends and family during the process. There's a big difference between follow-up and overkill, I felt like I was answering the phone from a telemarketer.

I walked through a very crowded call center into the interview room. There were 3 people present. The Director of Admissions, a manager and a superior of the admissions director that was observing there work. The interview were your typical behavior STAR questions.

Red Flag #2: I inquired as to why the position was open and they stated it was due to growth. Unfortunately, I prefer honest answers. They layoff every year in this department and they give you cold leads. I also made sure I did not let them know I knew many employees that are currently employed with the company all of which said they would not recommend working of the company. They were also seeking someone to Tuesday-Sunday. (So that means you'll never be compensated for holidays that are observed on Mondays).

Red Flag #3 I asked why have their enrollments decreased year over year and what is their target enrollment numbers for year-end 2017. The response from the director was it is due to the guidelines/restrictions from the department of education. The accurate information is that Kaplan University has been cited for improper recruitment practices and has been riddled with lawsuits. I also have a friend that has been paid out in a class action lawsuit because of this.

Red Flag #4 The interviewers asked about my years of employment, which felt like an age discriminatory question. At this point though, I knew that they were threatened by an individual with so much work experience.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time personal/professional in which you went above your duties to help someone feel better.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

I was recruited and agreed to have an interview with the director and another associate. I was advised it would be an Behavioral type interview and prepared accordingly. I have had many interviews of this type.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you failed and what you did about it. Tell me about a time when you didn't listen and what happened. Every question was negative! On and on...sorry, but I would rather talk about my achievements and successes in life.   1 Answer

Receptionist Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan University.

Interview

Got interview from a third party recruiter. It was a group interview on site so it was different than a phone interview. There were about 15 of us. We met with 3 managers from the student records department. After quick introductions we had about 45 minutes of questions from them. Then the last 30 minutes we could ask our questions. They were very open to answering them and made sure to stress open lines of communication.

Interview Questions

• What is something you are trying to improve in your life? And discuss a current opportunity and steps to achieve your goal.   Answer Question
    • What motivates you to keep on working on a job amidst high repetition?   Answer Question

SAT/ACT Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan University in June 2015.

Interview

First, apply online. Then, there's a link for a first round screening online.
    Online self-recorded interview is followed by a Skype interview with a current Kaplan employee and finally a Skype interview with the regional recruiter.
    Then, you wait until the recruiter emails you about whether they hire you or not.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to emphasize the Kaplan teaching method?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job via the Kaplan website. About one day later if not the same day, I received an email from a recruiter who provided a link via email. The link was to a virtual interviewing site that the interviewee was to acesss with a device that has a camera. I used my laptop. I was given an essay question to answer first, where I had to type out a response. The rest of the interview consisted of me answering about six interview questions on camera with no one at the other end. Its just you looking at yourself for two minutes at a time which is very distracting by the way. I also had to fake sell them a product as an answer to one of the interview questions.

I did not get the in person interview. However, based on the reviews they saved me a headache so I am thankful. I actually interviewed for this position back in 2011 and was invited back for a second interview where I met with one of the directors. I did not get the job because well...you can fill in the blanks. The HR rep actually called me back and said she did not agree with his decision not to hire me and that she felt I was a good candidate for the position. However, bias lurks everywhere so what can you do.

Kaplan, you should loose that video process that you do. Its ineffective and shows you are cutting corners. I did not get the job and yet never got to actually speak with a human being? Come on now. Give people a fair shot and allow them to come in and interview in person. Like I said, you guys saved me a headache because you have a plethora of complaints on this website from current employees. Plus I read that the pay has changed to a low base plus commission, rather than a straight salary. Your people are misrable.

Interview Questions

• One question I remember is the age old question of tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Portland, ME) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview began with a member of the interview committee greeting me at the door, having a short and professional conversation as we walked to the conference room. Committee members were all present, individually introduced themselves and greeted me kindly. The overall conversation was excellent, informative, comfortable and honest all around. The committee members clearly love their university!

Interview Questions

• Q: What is the most important aspect of academic advising?   1 Answer

Admissions Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University.

Interview

Interview process - there were so many candidates that they brought in all candidates in to one room. Staff explained the company and the position available. I did not realize that our 2 min introductory speech would be the only communication on skills and what the candidate brings to the position. There was no warning that this would be the only time to pitch ourselves and I was disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Giving a 2 min pitch on yourself in front of the rest of the candidates.   Answer Question

Admissions Advisor Interview

Interview

Was called to set-up what I believed to be an interview after I submitted my resume' and application online. What it turned out to be was a "group" interview with about 9 other candidate. During our hour long presentation, the director explained that this position though it is titled "Admissions Ad visor" it is not inf act an advisory position, rather it is a sales position. During the presentation we were told that there would b e a short break and if the job wasn't for us or what we had expected then we could leave at that time.

I found this to be an odd procedure. Wouldn't it just be easier to be upfront in the job description rather than reverting to a certain amount of deception to get candidates in the door?

I felt this to be an unfair way of handling a position, though I do give points for creativity!

Admissions Advisor II Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kaplan University.

Interview

I applied online and was then contacted by email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was about 30 minutes with standard behavioral questions after which I was invited in for a 1:1 interview. The in person interview was more of an information session about the position and a tour of the learning center. I was asked some questions about my background and specifics about my last position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question

Training Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Fort Lauderdale, FL).

Interview

The interview process was very organized and the recruiter had excellent follow up with me leading up to my first face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• The most challenging questions had to do with actual scenarios that were happening in the company.   Answer Question