Kaplan University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Kaplan University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2017

2.6

Admissions Advisor Interview

Interview

I was first called by a recruiter who asked me several questions about previous work experience based on my resume that she found online. Next she set up an interview with the director of admissions for the company. On the day of my interview the Human resources manager and the director of admissions interviewed me and asked me about my experiences. When the interview was done they askedme to sit outside and wait for about ten mintues. When they returned the offered me a position which I accepted that day. Work started about three weeks later.

Training Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Fort Lauderdale, FL).

Interview

The interview process was very organized and the recruiter had excellent follow up with me leading up to my first face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• The most challenging questions had to do with actual scenarios that were happening in the company.   Answer Question

Admissions Advisor Interview

Interview

Was called to set-up what I believed to be an interview after I submitted my resume' and application online. What it turned out to be was a "group" interview with about 9 other candidate. During our hour long presentation, the director explained that this position though it is titled "Admissions Ad visor" it is not inf act an advisory position, rather it is a sales position. During the presentation we were told that there would b e a short break and if the job wasn't for us or what we had expected then we could leave at that time.

I found this to be an odd procedure. Wouldn't it just be easier to be upfront in the job description rather than reverting to a certain amount of deception to get candidates in the door?

I felt this to be an unfair way of handling a position, though I do give points for creativity!

Admissions Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University.

Interview

Interview process - there were so many candidates that they brought in all candidates in to one room. Staff explained the company and the position available. I did not realize that our 2 min introductory speech would be the only communication on skills and what the candidate brings to the position. There was no warning that this would be the only time to pitch ourselves and I was disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Giving a 2 min pitch on yourself in front of the rest of the candidates.   Answer Question

Admissions Advisor Interview

Interview

I have interviewed for three different positions in my time at Kaplan and received two of three job offers. The interview process typically starts with a recruiter calling you and conducting a phone interview, if passed on then a manager of the division you are applying to will conduct another phone interview and if that is successful you will receive a third and final in person interview thereafter with about three managers. Some time after that you will get a call from the recruiter about an offer and an e-mail with offer details.

Interview Questions

• There questions are mostly typical of what the students will ask and how you respond to them and various behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University in March 2009.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. She conducted a phone interview which was pretty basic, just a summary of my sales experience. When I went in the next day I was interviewed by the same recruiter. Again, there was nothing surprising or even challenging about the questions. I think it was mainly to gauge my demeanor. I then immediately moved on to the third interview. I asked to be interviewed by the highest ranking employee available (because there were many). I sat with a Director of Admissions. We engaged in chit chat, then he asked if I'd participate in a role play, which I did. I thought it strange that he asked, but later he told me that most people refuse. Everyone I spoke to and saw looked generally happy. It's a rather large 2 story building, about the size of a cruise ship filled with rows of desks. The upstairs is brightly lit while the downstairs is a little dark and dingy.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where helping someone meant doing something that is not in the best interest of the compnay.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The was no negotiation. Your starting salary was based on your degree and the number of years sales and/or management experience you had. All of management, as well as the recruiters, are dodgy when it comes to discussing the comp plan. I couldn't get a straight answer. its seemed as if they really didn't know themselves.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Des Moines, IA) in May 2012.

Interview

Applied online for the Admissions Advisor position and about two weeks later I received a phone call asking if I could come in for an interview later in the week. I showed up to interview and was placed in a room with 8 other individuals. Someone in the group asked why it was going to be done as a group and the Director of Admissions said it was very informal and first initial meeting was for them to talk about Kaplan and the position. She mentioned that she would speak about the position for about 20 minutes and then take a break and at that time if anyone was no longer interested they were free to leave. I knew once she said that it was not going to be the typical admissions job I was hoping for. She spoke a couple of minutes about what the University has to offer to students but the majority of the time she spoke about how this was going to be a SALES position not a counseling position. Everyone is given daily, monthly, and yearly goals that will be monitored very closely. She said in order to meet the goals you are given overtime is highly encouraged. She said anyone stepping into Admissions role will have to work two nights a week until 8pm, two nights until 6pm (Fridays the office closes at 4pm) and then usually come in for overtime on Saturdays 2 or 3 weeks out of the month. After she went over it being a SALES position, goals, and hours you would be required to work it was time for our "Break". I did not stay to listen to the rest of her presentation. I do not want to be in a position where I am constantly micro-managed and given goals that are set so high it is pretty much mandatory that you have to work overtime or else you are canned. Thanks but no thanks. I will say though that it is very respectful of them to let people know a head of time so they do not get into a position and not realize what is expected of them.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in March 2009.

Interview

Kaplan's recruiter called me for 2 months trying to entice me into an interview. I wasnt interested at the time. The salary that they were offering was less than I was currently making. Then a friend accepted a position there and ranted and raved how great they were.
    So I went for an interview and was referred to a SDOA and hired that afternoon.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. However it was unexpected that this was a SALES position and not an ADVISOR position   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy, Just ask for your expected salary and dont be afraid to keep walking. You will earn every nickle you make here so go for the top dollar.

Financial Aid Servicing Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL).

Interview

The interview process consisted of a phone interview and then two face to face interviews with hiring managers. The interview process was good. I received a phone interview about a week after applying online. It was about 10-15 minutes long. During the phone interview, the recruiter informed me of the salary (not that competitive). Then the recruiter invited me for a face-to-face interview. Since, I was coming from out of town, the manager conducted the initial interview and then requested I stay for the second interview since she was please with my skills. Before the second interview, the manager gave me a tour of the facility (nice facility) and explained what I'd be doing there in depth. After the second interview, I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were pretty straigt forward. I will say that they did like the fact that I knew background infrmation about the company.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, the pay was the pay.

Admissions Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University.

Interview

Highly unprofessional hiring process. I was called for an interview and the initial personality questionnaire. However, they never actually followed through and scheduled an interview. When I called to follow up, the receptionist hung up on me.

Interview Questions

• There were odd questions on the personality assessment regarding political affiliation.   Answer Question