Kaplan University Interview Questions in Orlando, FL | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 11, 2017

2.4

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

I first had a Kaplan recruiter contact me after I applied for the position to do a phone interview. She basically stated the job description and set me up for an in-person interview the following week on at their Orlando, FL location near the campus of UCF.

Red Flag #1 The recruiter followed-up several times prior to the interview. She called the day before to ask if I was ready or nervous. She even called the morning of the interview while I was attempting to get to my interview. The recruiter she was pushing you to be sure you attend your interview because I'm guessing it's part of their pay plan. I honestly spoke to the recruiter more times than I did my own friends and family during the process. There's a big difference between follow-up and overkill, I felt like I was answering the phone from a telemarketer.

I walked through a very crowded call center into the interview room. There were 3 people present. The Director of Admissions, a manager and a superior of the admissions director that was observing there work. The interview were your typical behavior STAR questions.

Red Flag #2: I inquired as to why the position was open and they stated it was due to growth. Unfortunately, I prefer honest answers. They layoff every year in this department and they give you cold leads. I also made sure I did not let them know I knew many employees that are currently employed with the company all of which said they would not recommend working of the company. They were also seeking someone to Tuesday-Sunday. (So that means you'll never be compensated for holidays that are observed on Mondays).

Red Flag #3 I asked why have their enrollments decreased year over year and what is their target enrollment numbers for year-end 2017. The response from the director was it is due to the guidelines/restrictions from the department of education. The accurate information is that Kaplan University has been cited for improper recruitment practices and has been riddled with lawsuits. I also have a friend that has been paid out in a class action lawsuit because of this.

Red Flag #4 The interviewers asked about my years of employment, which felt like an age discriminatory question. At this point though, I knew that they were threatened by an individual with so much work experience.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time personal/professional in which you went above your duties to help someone feel better.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

I was recruited and agreed to have an interview with the director and another associate. I was advised it would be an Behavioral type interview and prepared accordingly. I have had many interviews of this type.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you failed and what you did about it. Tell me about a time when you didn't listen and what happened. Every question was negative! On and on...sorry, but I would rather talk about my achievements and successes in life.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

First is a phone screen interview via recruiter typically internal, then a face to face with 1 or 2 managers. It was more of a situational interview, very straight forward. Both managers I interviewed with had little eye contact and took notes almost the entire time. Overall it can feel slightly intimidating with the interview style but if you're prepared it's not bad.

Interview Questions

• Give me a scenario in which you had to overcome an objection and it was successful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

After completing my application, I was contacted a week later. After completing 2 phone interviews, i was called for an in person interview. I was hired 2-3 weeks later. The training was about 4 weeks long and benefits were available the first day of training.

Interview Questions

• How do you build a rapport with potential students?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job via the Kaplan website. About one day later if not the same day, I received an email from a recruiter who provided a link via email. The link was to a virtual interviewing site that the interviewee was to acesss with a device that has a camera. I used my laptop. I was given an essay question to answer first, where I had to type out a response. The rest of the interview consisted of me answering about six interview questions on camera with no one at the other end. Its just you looking at yourself for two minutes at a time which is very distracting by the way. I also had to fake sell them a product as an answer to one of the interview questions.

I did not get the in person interview. However, based on the reviews they saved me a headache so I am thankful. I actually interviewed for this position back in 2011 and was invited back for a second interview where I met with one of the directors. I did not get the job because well...you can fill in the blanks. The HR rep actually called me back and said she did not agree with his decision not to hire me and that she felt I was a good candidate for the position. However, bias lurks everywhere so what can you do.

Kaplan, you should loose that video process that you do. Its ineffective and shows you are cutting corners. I did not get the job and yet never got to actually speak with a human being? Come on now. Give people a fair shot and allow them to come in and interview in person. Like I said, you guys saved me a headache because you have a plethora of complaints on this website from current employees. Plus I read that the pay has changed to a low base plus commission, rather than a straight salary. Your people are misrable.

Interview Questions

• One question I remember is the age old question of tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in August 2013.

Interview

Started with the application. Then a phone interview with a corporate recruiter. Situation based questions were asked. After the phone interview I was asked to interview with the director of admissions and the associate director of admissions. More situation based questions and behavior based questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you closed a deal and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Financial Aid Servicing Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL).

Interview

The interview process consisted of a phone interview and then two face to face interviews with hiring managers. The interview process was good. I received a phone interview about a week after applying online. It was about 10-15 minutes long. During the phone interview, the recruiter informed me of the salary (not that competitive). Then the recruiter invited me for a face-to-face interview. Since, I was coming from out of town, the manager conducted the initial interview and then requested I stay for the second interview since she was please with my skills. Before the second interview, the manager gave me a tour of the facility (nice facility) and explained what I'd be doing there in depth. After the second interview, I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were pretty straigt forward. I will say that they did like the fact that I knew background infrmation about the company.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, the pay was the pay.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL).

Interview

I was recruited by Kaplan's inside recruiter and they called me for a phone screen. They then asked me to come in for my first interview with the recruiter only. I did, and I was given a tour of the site. I sat and listened to an Admissions Advisor as they did their job to see if it would be something I could see myself doing. They then called me for a second interview, this time with an ADOA and a DOA. I was then asked some basic interview questions and sold myself. I was offered the job the next day via a phone call from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• I didn't really have an unexpected question, they were pretty standard interview questions. An example was: Tell me about a time in your career where you ran into an obstacle, and how you overcame that obstacle.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary.

Admission's Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in January 2012.

Interview

Very detailed interview process and long. I had to wait over a month for a training class to begin. Pretty typical interview process except toward the final 3 interview felt like an interrogation with two directors who tag teamed you with questions about your past. They would spite out questions and write down everything you answered. Very strange experience and felt like I did something wrong.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you where faced with a difficult situation and your outcome was negative because you made the wrong choice? What? Really?   2 Answers

Negotiation

They made a low ball offer and stated that was as high as they could go. At that point I explained that I wouldn't be able to accept less than $38k a year after they offered $30k to $33k a year max. Then they came back at $38k. My friend was offered $39,500.

Financial Aid Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in January 2011.

Interview

Phone Call, after the call it's 2 face-to-face interviews, and at the second interview they offer you the position contingent on your background. The background check consists of a criminal background as well as whether or not you're default on student loans. Credit check (not very hard even with bad credit), and reference check