Katholieke Universiteit Leuven Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Katholieke Universiteit Leuven Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2017

2.4

PhD Student Interview

Interview

I applied online. I got invited to the interview in Leuven. They basically ask for your background and previous experience of the topic. You need to explain why do you apply for the job, qhy are you a suitable candidate...You also need a certified English language diploma equivalent to C1.

Single-Cell Core Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Leuven (Belgium)) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview consisted of two skype interviews and a day an a half of meetings with Professors and Senior Students in Leuven. Following the interview, I was told that they were very interested in hiring me and I met with the administrative director. She was not prepared and unable to answer any tax questions (primarily important as an expat), despite having received my questions for her two days earlier. The salary offered we 31,000 euro after tax, with no available expat deductions. When I mentioned to the the existence of the deductions (29,000 euro for scientists) and supplied corresponding literature, the administration continued to deny their existence and claimed that those deductions were for the employer, not the employee; despite the fact that all the cost would be paid by the employee.
    Based on the shady accounting and total ignorance of the associated tax regimes, I asked for a higher salary to be competitive with my home country (40,000 euro after tax). Following this, they rescinded the offer of employment.

Moral of the story: Watch out if you're an expat thinking of working in Belgium!

Interview Questions

• If I would be willing to perform the job without obtaining first or last author publications, my experience with related techniques, and my interest level in the position.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Leuven (Belgium)).

Interview

I found this vacancy online and submitted my CV. The interview phase was done via skype because I didn't live in Belgium. They were very flexible with this. During the interview I was asked about my education during my bachelor and master degree and my motivations. I also gave some references who were contacted afterwards by the interviewer. At the end, I was told that I would be contacted if I was the selected candidate. That happened few weeks later.

Research Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Leuven (Belgium)) in February 2016.

Interview

personal meeting, few questions about my capicities for the job at hand. after 5min everything was over. People were nice, not to much pressure. Got a mail the day after saying the interview went well and that I was hired for the job.

PhD Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Leuven (Belgium)).

Interview

The interview process consisted in a few days of discussion about scientific papers.
    You had to read some of them, and show that you understood the content. Than, you had to come up with some broad suggestions on how to solve a scientific problem (which might or not be related to your thesis topic).
    I believe this is one of the best way to evaluate a PhD candidate, but it is time-consuming for both student and professors. In my case, no recommendations were required.
    This process is not a standard one, and it was possible because the project was funded by the EU. Normally, one should write a research proposal, and submit it to National Funding Agency. In my case, the project was already funded, so the professor was looking for someone to fill the position.

Interview Questions

• Read this paper. How is this relevant for solving problem X?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Leuven (Belgium)).

Interview

Regular interview process; two people present of two different research groups; waiting outside to get called in, while your possible-future colleagues pass you by in the hallway. Inside the room, the atmosphere was professional, but quite relaxed for an interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your ultimate research goal, if everything goes as you want?   Answer Question

PhD Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Leuven (Belgium)).

Interview

Lots of emailing. I had to send in lots of independent work I had done during my MSc studies (term papers, some code, thesis draft) and write a proposal for initial work I would want to do for this position. I never got feedback on this. Finally a on-site 1-1 interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to summarize the (very long and complex) proposal that the grant for this position was based on, followed by a discussion how it fit with my academic background.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Leuven (Belgium)) in March 2015.

Interview

I had 2 skype interviews: inital and with the PI. I was invited for on campus interview. I prepared a 30 minutes presentation about my previous experience for the lab members, there were some questions like always. I visited the lab, talked to people I am going to work with, we discussed the project. It was a nice interview, not stressfull at all.

Interview Questions

• In initial interview: what do you hate and love about lab work? 3 characteristics of yourself?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Loughborough, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Loughborough, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

It was an expected interview. I was asked to give a presentation on my research projects and a few questions were asked based on it. Then I was asked about the best possible time that I could start the project and a few technical questions were asked. Then I was asked about my VISA and then I was told that the decision will be revealed a week later. I was not offered the position though.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in August 2014.

Interview

I saw the job opening on Facebook, posted by a former employee.

I sent the recruiter an e-mail with my resume in which I was very complete. The necessary skills were very few except HTML and CSS. (I was a bit overqualified.)

In the recruiter's reply, he asked me when I could start; I got the job.

Interview Questions

• I didn't get any questions after submitting my resume.   Answer Question