Katy ISD Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Katy ISD Interview Questions

2.1

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Katy ISD (Katy, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview was in front of a panel, including the principal, assistant principal, and 5 grade level teachers. The interview was in round robin style, whereby each teacher asked a question from a list of 16 questions provided by the Katy ISD human resources department. Questions included tell us about your teaching experience, what can you contribute to our team, what does guided reading look like in your classroom, what does a math lesson look like in your class, how to do communicate with parents, how do you handle bad behavior issues in your class, what is your classroom management style, how will you contribute to the community of this school, what are some of your strengths, and how do you stay on top of current teaching trends. There is an opportunity at the end for you to ask questions. Be sure to interview the school back by asking detailed questions about their philosophy and overall school climate. I highly value collaboration, creativity and don't like uniform lesson plans and everyone having to follow scripted lessons. It was during this time that I realized that this school not be good fit for my teaching style and personality.

Financial Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Katy ISD (Katy, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview was informal. Interview consisted mainly of interviewer asking around 10 questions. The interviewer was very pleasant and reassuring. My follow up questions were addressed very thoroughly. Overall, good experience.

Interview Questions

• Name a specific instance where you have dealt with conflict at work.   1 Answer

Substitute Teacher Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Katy ISD.

Interview

You attend a Sublitz session which is about 2-3 hours. First you take a reading comprehension test and complete an application. Then you wait in a line to go to another room where you receive a brief interview.

Food and Nutrition Services Reserve Sub Interview

Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Katy ISD (Katy, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

Initial interview was at a job fair. A week later I had a professional interview. After the interview, I was told that I would here back in about a week if I was selected for the job. I got a call back in a week asking for me to get my fingerprints; this is when I knew I got the job.

Interview Questions

• They asked me if I knew how to pick up a box correctly and to demonstrate it.   Answer Question

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Katy ISD (Katy, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Filled out the online application that all prospective employees must fill out. After that, I turned in the required transcript and copy of my most recent job performance review along with the signature page. I then applied for positions online through Katy ISD as they came available. For each position, I submitted resumes & letters of interest to the proper person or department. I was called by the person doing interviews to schedule an interview time and date. Each interview had between 2 and 5 interviewers.

Elementary Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Katy ISD (Katy, TX).

Interview

One on one interview with the hiring principal at an offsite location since they scheduled my interview during a closed campus testing date. Sat down face to face and she read through a list of questions that were prepared in advance. Very basic questions asking about office background. Didnt really touch in any specifics in relation to how she planned to run her front office. Didn't fully disclose the actual duties for the clerk position.

Police Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Katy ISD.

Interview

Very straight forward easy process. You have finger prints a full back ground investigation. It was an average process. They will call you with a job over. HR is very nice and make the transition very easy

Certified Substitute Interview

Application

I interviewed at Katy ISD in August 2014.

Interview

I had a scheduled time, and when I arrived, you picked up the packet corresponding to your certification level. Then, they usher you to tables where you take a "Substitute Qualification Test." Not what I expected at all - it's the a portion of a high school English exam. After you take the test, the usher you to an interview room where they interview you of course. I'm guessing the interview questions are tailored to your education/experience level. Mine was brief and the questions were straight forward - but easy to answer since I've been a teacher for 7 years. After that, they let you know if you will be invited to training within a week. I got the email invitation one day later.

Interview Questions

• As a certified teacher, what will be the most challenging aspect for you of substituting?   Answer Question

Middle School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Katy ISD (Katy, TX).

Interview

Submitted a letter of interest and resume to a campus. Received an e-mail from the campus secretary requesting an interview. Interviewed with an assistant principal, department chair, and a teacher in the department. Pretty standard interview; asked 10 or so generic questions and then asked if I had questions of my own.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to invest a student who is not interested in learning your subject?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation; district sets pay level based on years of experience.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Katy ISD in February 2014.

Interview

It took me a while to figure out the process for substituting since it was my first time trying to get into such a job. At first, I thought that all I had to do was apply by submitting my online application to the job posting on the website. However, after a few weeks of not hearing back, I started looking deeper into it and discovered that there was an orientation I had to sign up for first. After doing so, I then had to drive across town to find a place with extended hours at which I could have my finger prints and background check done.

The day of the interview, about 100 of us arrived at the Main Office, and were ushered to our designated tables after signing in. You got a different colored paper depending on your qualifications (certified or not) and the kind of job you were looking for (teaching/paraprofessional). Once each table finished the paperwork, we were ushered to another room to await an interview.

Inside the room there were three rows of narrow tables running the length of the large hall, with about 6-8 tables per row. Each table had two interviewers, one presumably to ask the questions and write your answers, while the other watched you and your body language. Figuring this, i made sure to go in smiling and confident (despite my nerves), and to strive to engage both interviewers, and not just the one speaking. The interview itself seemed to take about 10-15 minutes depending on how talkative you and the interviewers were, and whether or not you seemed to be a good match. The pair I got was very friendly and approachable, so I was able to relax a little. They asked some very good questions, most of which I had prepared for by reviewing teaching job interview questions the night before. When it was done, I felt really good because of how they had responded (verbally and non-verbally) to my responses. Sure enough, within a week I received an email to schedule my orientation.

The first day for the orientation was canceled due to bad weather, which meant that everyone was attending the second one. I arrived at the main office around 7am and didn't leave until about 3pm. I had thought that lunch would be provided since we were only given 30 minutes, but we were expected to have brought cash or check to pay at the little cafeteria on site. I was lucky I had just enough in coins, since I generally didn't carry cash with me at the time. The first part of the day covered the handbook, the rules, the expectations, and the nitty-gritty side of the job. A little dull, but informative. The second part, however, was like a refresher course of my college SED classes as we reviewed learner types, differentiation, and classroom management - especially how to win the students over within the first minutes of class, how to deal with the more challenging students, and why those kiddos in particular need our encouragement, patience and love the most. Overall, it was a very uplifting and empowering experience.

Normally, it takes about 2 weeks or so for them to process all of the data, and get people set up for subbing. In my case, however, I was called one morning three days after orientation by an elementary school asking if I was available. Apparently, someone had given her my name specifically, and she wanted to know if I would be up for filling in a last minute absence. I accepted it, and had an amazing day with that group of 2nd graders.

My biggest advice is to stay calm, be confident in yourself and your abilities, and to review the interview questions ahead of time. Be prepared to "sell" yourself in that interview, and you will do fine!

Interview Questions

• What do you do if you get into a classroom, and there is nothing left on the desk for you? No lesson plan, no seating chart, no sub folder?   Answer Question