Kelly & Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2017

2.6

Senior C#.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sparks Glencoe, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Kelly & Associates (Sparks Glencoe, MD) in February 2017.

Interview

1. Phone screen with independent recruiter.
    2. Six hour programming exercise done on your own time, Reviewed and approved by KELLY prior to any direct contact. The instructions say the exercise takes 30-60 minutes - this is impossible with any level of quality acceptable to warrant an interview.
    3. In-person interview begins with a 20 minute written developer test, then roughly 30 minute of reviewing all your answers in detail. This is written on pen and paper.
    4. A second, three question written developer test is administered at which time the interview panel watches quietly while you answer, then your answers are reviewed.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were very technical, computer-science type of questions. Two specific questions about the programming exercise, but no review of it or lengthy, detailed discussion which is what was expected.   1 Answer

Payroll Implementaion Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sykesville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kelly & Associates (Sykesville, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

Good communication and prescreening interview with recruiter. Went in for face to face interview with hiring manager. The company sounded great, lots of perks but highly conservative (nothing you won't find on their website). There was only one face to face interview at the company, then all other communication was done through the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about overtime?   Answer Question
    • Between November and February are our busiest months so we need you in the office.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me less than what the recruiter stated was the starting pay. I countered their offer with the pay I was told originally and also told them I was excited to work there. I thought all they could do was say no to my counter offer and I'd start at the lower pay. Instead the following day I received an email stating they were rescinding their offer and going with another candidate.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kelly & Associates.

Interview

Interviewed with manager and team leader, easy general questions about my background. Definitely take a look at their mission statement as they take a lot of pride in that. At my second interview I met with the same two managers again, but also with their superior; the director.

QA Lead/Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hunt Valley, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Kelly & Associates (Hunt Valley, MD) in September 2014.

Interview

The phone-screen was brief, as it was mainly to kick-off a technical assessment. This test included questions that had to be worked out using your choice of coding language, write a SQL query, and HTML code. It took about 45 minutes and was on collabedit so they could watch and answer questions.

My in-person interview latest about 3.5 hours. I meet with the current QA lead, the current Dev lead, and the CTO. All three seems to be good people, and smart. A few observations:
    Development drives conversations over QA.
    The business drives changes not development. This puts dev behind the 8 ball at times.
    They say they are Agile, but I feel they are missing key aspects of Agile. The devs work ahead so QA appears to be behind all the time. It didn't sound like they had a SM. Too many companies are using Agile to really say they are just not waterfall.
    The CTO doesn't have a technical background. I think that in-part causes him to micromanage, which he openly told me that he does for new people (I've heard the same comment for other sources not at the company).
    I didn't get to see much of the office; it looked like cubes, but open for better communication. However, I did hear they are moving in the coming weeks to a new building near their current location. +
    Tele-communicating is an option when it makes sense, like when you have apt and such, but not the norm. -
    Even though they are really an insurance company that is really a software company, they don't seem to be over-working the development team. +
    Overall I think it is an interesting place with some pros and cons, just like every company. I feel that they really need a different position for their needs.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were fairly straight-forward, however to test ones analytical thinking, they did ask a few logic questions. One of them being, if you had a book that you wanted to give to an employee, and you had 5 employees, and only a coin, heads and ties, to use to make the decision, which employee would get the book? And assume the employees are all the same skills/experience wise.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hunt Valley, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kelly & Associates (Hunt Valley, MD) in March 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed for a BA position. The phone interview was regular screening type of interview and was pretty standard. Then I had a 1:1 with the one of the two big dogs. He pretty much wanted to know my salary range. Normally in larger corporations these are HR questions – but Kelly is a small family owned company – so the normal rules don’t apply.
    Then I had a Panel as well as individual interviews. I don’t remember all the details (I could not find Kelly And Associates Insurance Group last time on GD). I do remember, it was a very nontraditional interview and could have gone either way – everything was subjective. All the interviewee were of foreign nationals, which is perfectly fine by me –being one myself. I was just surprised, as the company is pretty small overall.
    Then I was rejected. Later I found two very junior people were hired. I think it is the pay-scale that drives the hiring. Wish they were upfront about it – would have made things clearer for me. At the time, I needed to be in that area.