Ketchum Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 3, 2018

2.9

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ketchum (New York, NY).

Interview

If you are applying for the vacant role, do yourself a favor and Run, don’t walk! Extremely unprofessional experience all around. Just take a look through multiple Interview Reviews (so many negative reviews about them stringing candidates along for many months, or having them go through multiple rounds and not getting back to them, etc).

This position is definitely going to be opened for some time. It's truly a revolving door and they have a hard time keeping anyone in that role. This role would be supporting a particular team that has really high turnover. Most of the glassdoor reviews for a particular group are fake and are created by the same senior people over and over to convince the outside world that this is a favorable place to work (look into it yourself as there's proof).

The management that you would be supporting in a different team, I was told is extremely difficult to work with and is feared from what I was told during multiple interviews. One person conducting an interview told me that the best piece of advice to me is to not address certain senior heads in public, but to do so only in private, since you run the risk of being demeaned or her making you look bad in public.

For a short-term contract role, they will have you go through MULTIPLE rounds (phone screens, multiple in-person interviews) and EVEN have the audacity of giving you a take home homework assessment.
    This homework assignment takes hours to do, you are timed, and you are supposed to write essay-like answers to multiple questions. All for a temporary contract situation!!!

The first part took a month. After that, they will take another few months to deliberate on their decision. Then they will check your references, string you along for some more nonsense. In the end, after they tell you that you are the person that everyone liked and then they dare take time away from people provided as references, they will probably call you back and tell you that business needs have changed and they are no longer hiring.

Not only is the entire process done in a very unprofessional manner, but you can just see how highly unorganized the company is. There is no strategy. I think they forget that it's a candidate's market in NYC and there are more jobs than people, and their outdated processes are no longer fitting to the changing recruitment realities.

It’s interesting that at no point of the interview process, did I have the pleasure of meeting anyone from the department that I would be supporting that they all spoke negatively about. My guess is that would be a breaking point for the person in ultimately not accepting this position.

Not only that, but salaries are way below market, no benefits, low vacation time, and exposure to high levels of unprofessionalism. Yes, they will try to sell you on the fact that they have happy hour in the office on Fridays, but I’d rather make more money and purchase it myself, after hours.

PS the department that I dealt with has way too many people occupying similar roles, so one would expect efficiency, seamless processes, and professionalism. And yet, it’s far from the truth. Even my very senior references complained about the way that representatives from Ketchum were conducting themselves over the phone.

At the point of the offer negotiation, none of my basic and standard offer questions were answered in an articulate way. Example "is this position benefits eligible?" Answer: Hmm, I think so, but not sure. Maybe. Actually no. Not sure. and this went on for every question.

I went with another offer and so happy I did! But in retrospect, the entire experience has been so negative, that I couldn’t help but warn others.

PPS it's not just several departments that I dealt with..each time that I went into their NYC office and would request some water, I was always told to go and get it myself even though there would be people manning the reception area at all times. As a candidate interviewing for a rather senior role, at the very least I would expect to be offered some water.

It's the little things, but they matter and speak volumes about the culture.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult personalities? (my guess is that there are many)..   Answer Question

Terrible experience with hiring managers, departments, and the more I learned about the culture and the company's practices, the more I was turned off.

Junior Digital Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ketchum (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online then did not hear back for a month and a half. Finally heard from HR about scheduling a phone screening which went well, so I was asked to come in for in person interviews with two of the associate creative directors. The interviews lasted about a half hour each and were very painless and pleasant. One of the associates even told me I was her favorite candidate for the job that she had met with. I left feeling very confident that the job would soon be mine. I sent thank you emails to everyone I met with. HR said they got "very positive feedback" from the people I had met with, and she would be in touch soon to discuss "next steps." After that I did not hear from anyone at Ketchum for about two months. I later emailed HR after I received an offer from a different firm, just out of curiosity, to which I was told that they did not have any openings available at that time. I was strung along for three months by them, and then they did not even have the decency to tell me they selected another candidate. Hindsight I am glad I am not working at Ketchum because I am now at a job with actual standards of professional etiquette and human decency and I am much happier.

Coordinator Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ketchum.

Interview

- Applied via LinkedIn and was also referred via staffing agency, contacted shortly thereafter (1-2 weeks?)
    - Had a phone interview with HR, pretty standard
    - Follow-up call with hiring manager, standard questions and learned more about role
    - Office visit with 3 separate interviewers, seemed a bit redundant but they were all extremely nice
    - Timed presentation-building/writing task, reasonable and not particularly difficult if you have previous experience
    - Told that I was the person they planned to hire
    (INSERT MONTH OR 1.5 MONTHS LATER)
    - Am told there are some delays due to financial elements
    - Received formal offer after telling recruiter I had received another offer that day

It's really too bad that they couldn't mobilize on the offer because I would have been tempted to take it at the time but during the lag found another opportunity and received an offer I couldn't refuse. Seems like a pretty good place to work (esp. for an agency), but there may be some disorganization/financial issues behind-the-scenes which was a big red flag.

Research Associate Interview

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a phone interview the same day. The recruiter just asked me how I had found out about Ketchum and I explained how I had heard about it from a friend who used to work there. That was her only question for me. Then she said that the position had been filled but that she would keep me in mind for future opportunities. Very odd conduct, as I had been enthusiastic and polite and had the requisite experience for this position. Seemed unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ketchum (New York, NY).

Interview

After three months of passing through different rounds of interviews, interviewing with different teams and getting only positive feedback, they let me know that i did not get the internship - which sucked. I enjoyed it though. Interesting process. Not the old submit resume, boring interview and wait.

Interview Questions

• What makes your previous experience applicable to this internship   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ketchum (New York, NY).

Interview

I made it past LaunchPad to a first-round interview with HR. My interview was scheduled for a Tuesday at 10 am. On Monday at 9 am, I received a call from HR calling for my interview. I told her that my interview was scheduled for tomorrow at 10, and had the email to prove it, but I was flexible and could do it now if needed. She said no, her mistake and called me at the scheduled time the next day. Interview went well.
    I moved on to a second-round with the team. HR asked for my availability and I sent it to them immediately for the next two weeks. A week and a half later, HR emailed me my scheduled interview time, but by then, a very important meeting had come up during that time. I asked to reschedule, giving plenty of options of availability. HR never got back to me. The next day at 5 pm, I got a call from the team conducting my interview. I decided to show I was flexible and conducted the interview then, without any materials (copy of my resume, even a piece of paper and pen). The interview went great, considering I was unprepared. But, it could have been much better if I were prepared and actually knew any information about my interview time. Ketchum's HR department messed up both of my interviews, which, in my opinion, was unprofessional, unfair and hurt my performance.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have, etc. (general interview questions)   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Let me start by saying that placement in how high you score on the game doesn't equate to getting a position. I had placed 3rd through a rigorous 2 week process on Launchpad (an interactive game). Because of my placement I received an invitation to move forward for the next step in the process which was a screening interview. The recruiter was extremely cold and didn't respond to any of my answers. The phone call lasted no longer than 15 minutes. I was honestly surprised to receive an invitation for a Skype interview for the location I applied for because of the negativity I felt from my first screener. Nonetheless I did the Skype interview and felt that it went smoothly and was genuinely excited. I was contacted for more paperwork to be filled out and was told there would be next steps after completion of the employment application. Two weeks went by and I had to follow up with the Vice President of HR of the region I was applying for for her to tell me they had picked another candidate. Had I not been ghosted for so long I doubt I'd carry resentment.

Piece of advice: Don't waste your time being strung out for 2+ months by a company that sees you as disposable. There are MANY other companies that are deserving of your time and energy.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ketchum in April 2017.

Interview

The application process starts with submitting a cover letter and resume - normal.

After that, Ketchum has devised a "fun" and "interactive" way to make their Summer Fellows Program application one-of-a-kind. Those who proceed into the next phase have to play "LaunchPad." The game requires each applicant to fill out an anonymous profile and then complete two challenge question -one strategy marketing plan and one creative marketing plan for a two companies that each applicant is briefed on beforehand.

Applicants have 3 days to complete the challenge question after which the portal enters the "interactive" phase where applicants have to read, comment, and vote for other applicant answers to the challenge questions to earn points.

Only those with the highest number of points move forward in the application process.

A month after playing LaunchPad, a Ketchum recruiting representative got back to me to set up a phone interview. The interview was intense, short and impersonal. The woman I spoke with was rather abrupt and brief - which came off as unfriendly.

Ketchum is a great agency - there is no doubt about that, however their attempt at making their interview process "hip", actually results in an unnecessarily complicated and lengthy procedure.

Interview Questions

• What are the top 5 companies you want to work for and why?

Can you tell me a piece of positive feedback you've received on your writing? Negative feedback?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ketchum (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

LaunchPad was used to select candidates and then there were phone screenings and an in person interview. no writing test. Friendly and helpful process. Launchpad was cool because it was set up like a game and you compete against other applicants

Interview Questions

• what projects have you worked on lately   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ketchum (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

Their selection process took several weeks. Potential candidates were invited to join a challenge and submit a digital and print campaign. Candidates could earn points by commenting on other candidates submissions and through votes from other candidates. The top players move forward in the interview process. I was a top 10 finalist out of 75.

Interview Questions

• Describe previous agency experience.   1 Answer