Ketchum Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2018

2.9

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ketchum (Washington, DC).

Interview

After connecting with Ketchum at job fair, it was a very quick interview process. I interviewed with four team members in person in their office; they followed up with a phone call the next week. I interviewed with one other person I would be working with, and then they emailed the offer letter.

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ketchum.

Interview

The interview process was extremely long and complicated. I never even got the chance to speak with anyone or meet anyone in person. After submitting my resume/cover letter, we were set up to play the "launch pad" game. It took a ton of time. After finishing the game, I did not hear for 2 months. They were not on top of deadlines at all and there was no real interview.

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ketchum (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Overall positive interview experience. The interview process was long and I likely interviewed with 10 people before I was given a verbal offer. I suggest coming prepared with a handful of PR campaign examples that are related to the role.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ketchum (New York, NY).

Interview

Very decent interview. The questions where clearly structured and I was happy with the whole process. I first had an interview with the recruiter followed with two manager interviews.
    The questions where regular, nothing out of the ordinary and more specific with the in person interviews

PR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ketchum (Atlanta, GA) in March 2018.

Interview

You first are invited to take part in an online "game" where you have to write two prompts relating to the PR industry. You are then upvoted or downvoted by the other applicants. As I ranked within the top 10 I was invited to an interview. The first interview was very relaxed and the girl I spoke to was very friendly and open. I was then invited to a second interview, which was quite similar to the one before, but with another woman. I then received a "pre-employment application" asking me for referrals and previous work history. Thereafter, I was dropped - I'm still not sure why.

Digital Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ketchum (Washington, DC) in March 2018.

Interview

The Skype interview happened first. The internet connection was not nice. Two people interviewed me. They seemed not want to talk or did not understand me.
    After the interview, I had to follow up with the HR person to get the results.

Managing Account Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ketchum (Washington, DC) in March 2018.

Interview

Fairly straightforward, multiple-round interview process with writing test and background check. Each interviewee was warm, genuinely curious about my background, and a strong advocate for the company. Unlike other corporate or consulting position interviews, I did not feel intimidated.

Summer Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ketchum (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2018.

Interview

First standard application that almost everyone passes. Then the gamified system LaunchPad, which was pretty time consuming, but interesting. Helps to get some advice from a current employee about how to succeed at launchpad. Then a phone screen with an HR member. And then finally calls with teams. I had two calls, and had good chemistry with one group in particular, and that was the one I was assigned to.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ketchum (New York, NY).

Interview

If you are applying for the vacant role, do yourself a favor and Run, don’t walk! Extremely unprofessional experience all around. Just take a look through multiple Interview Reviews (so many negative reviews about them stringing candidates along for many months, or having them go through multiple rounds and not getting back to them, etc).

This position is definitely going to be opened for some time. It's truly a revolving door and they have a hard time keeping anyone in that role. This role would be supporting a particular team that has really high turnover. Most of the glassdoor reviews for a particular group are fake and are created by the same senior people over and over to convince the outside world that this is a favorable place to work (look into it yourself as there's proof).

The management that you would be supporting in a different team, I was told is extremely difficult to work with and is feared from what I was told during multiple interviews. One person conducting an interview told me that the best piece of advice to me is to not address certain senior heads in public, but to do so only in private, since you run the risk of being demeaned or her making you look bad in public.

For a short-term contract role, they will have you go through MULTIPLE rounds (phone screens, multiple in-person interviews) and EVEN have the audacity of giving you a take home homework assessment.
    This homework assignment takes hours to do, you are timed, and you are supposed to write essay-like answers to multiple questions. All for a temporary contract situation!!!

The first part took a month. After that, they will take another few months to deliberate on their decision. Then they will check your references, string you along for some more nonsense. In the end, after they tell you that you are the person that everyone liked and then they dare take time away from people provided as references, they will probably call you back and tell you that business needs have changed and they are no longer hiring.

Not only is the entire process done in a very unprofessional manner, but you can just see how highly unorganized the company is. There is no strategy. I think they forget that it's a candidate's market in NYC and there are more jobs than people, and their outdated processes are no longer fitting to the changing recruitment realities.

It’s interesting that at no point of the interview process, did I have the pleasure of meeting anyone from the department that I would be supporting that they all spoke negatively about. My guess is that would be a breaking point for the person in ultimately not accepting this position.

Not only that, but salaries are way below market, no benefits, low vacation time, and exposure to high levels of unprofessionalism. Yes, they will try to sell you on the fact that they have happy hour in the office on Fridays, but I’d rather make more money and purchase it myself, after hours.

PS the department that I dealt with has way too many people occupying similar roles, so one would expect efficiency, seamless processes, and professionalism. And yet, it’s far from the truth. Even my very senior references complained about the way that representatives from Ketchum were conducting themselves over the phone.

At the point of the offer negotiation, none of my basic and standard offer questions were answered in an articulate way. Example "is this position benefits eligible?" Answer: Hmm, I think so, but not sure. Maybe. Actually no. Not sure. and this went on for every question.

I went with another offer and so happy I did! But in retrospect, the entire experience has been so negative, that I couldn’t help but warn others.

PPS it's not just several departments that I dealt with..each time that I went into their NYC office and would request some water, I was always told to go and get it myself even though there would be people manning the reception area at all times. As a candidate interviewing for a rather senior role, at the very least I would expect to be offered some water.

It's the little things, but they matter and speak volumes about the culture.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult personalities? (my guess is that there are many)..   Answer Question

Terrible experience with hiring managers, departments, and the more I learned about the culture and the company's practices, the more I was turned off.

Junior Digital Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ketchum (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online then did not hear back for a month and a half. Finally heard from HR about scheduling a phone screening which went well, so I was asked to come in for in person interviews with two of the associate creative directors. The interviews lasted about a half hour each and were very painless and pleasant. One of the associates even told me I was her favorite candidate for the job that she had met with. I left feeling very confident that the job would soon be mine. I sent thank you emails to everyone I met with. HR said they got "very positive feedback" from the people I had met with, and she would be in touch soon to discuss "next steps." After that I did not hear from anyone at Ketchum for about two months. I later emailed HR after I received an offer from a different firm, just out of curiosity, to which I was told that they did not have any openings available at that time. I was strung along for three months by them, and then they did not even have the decency to tell me they selected another candidate. Hindsight I am glad I am not working at Ketchum because I am now at a job with actual standards of professional etiquette and human decency and I am much happier.