Key Food Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1.1

Interviews for Top Jobs at Key Food

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Key Food (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Pretty simple asked my availability. How far I live if I'm a student and how I work with other people. Got hired on the spot. Not such a bad experience but not my favorite place in the world that's for sure

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Key Food

Anonymous Employee in Fresh Meadows, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Key Food (Fresh Meadows, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

No interview, basically walked in to see if they were hiring. Started working within three days. Had to learn a code sheet for groceries, not too difficult. Simply come dressed somewhat professional and the position will be yours?

Interview Questions

• When can you start?
      When will you be available ?
      Will school affect you your ability to work.
      Any disabilities we should know about?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Key Food.

Interview

Walked to the store and was asked to give the hours a week I was available and I did. Got hired on the spot. It was very easy, it is better if you have a rapport with someone in that particular store. The store loves when you have connections with someone and will be reputable

Interview Questions

• What days are you available?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Staten Island, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Key Food (Staten Island, NY).

Interview

You are first asked to arrive at the store. The manager then gives you paperwork and a second location. It is a work force agency. You wait to be called in and give in the paper work and your resume. No interview happens at all. They just put your resume on file and send you back to the store. Pointless.

Cashier Interview

Interview

There was no interview process. I was called back to come in for training. Training was one week. After one week you were then I was hired and put on the schedule.

Anonymous Employee in Maspeth, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Key Food (Maspeth, NY).

Interview

There was no interview at all, but the process of actually getting hired is a bit skewed. You absolutely NEED to know someone who already works there, or else you're not getting the job, and you MUST wait for them to ask if the workers know anyone who needs a job. You cannot just ask your friend to get you the job whenever—there are very specific opportunities to do so.

Once the managers are ready to hire someone new and they are considering you via friend suggestion, you have to wait for your friend's shift to end and then you go into the store with them. They'll take you to the front, introduce you to one of the managers, and then you fill out a VERY basic application. It just asks you for your name, address, phone number, and what days/holidays you're available to work. No drug test, no background check, nothing. Proof of address and identity (such as social security) are only asked for just before your first paycheck, and they don't even require the actual documentation. You can just write it down or tell them over the phone and they'll be satisfied.

After you give in your application, you'll be told to expect a phone call within that week to schedule you for unpaid training, which just involves you standing at someone else's register (usually the busiest one in the store) for 4 days, being taught the button combinations on the register, and being told produce codes. There isn't an actual print out of code sheets so you'll have to take photos of them on your phone if you have it on you if you want to memorize them that way. The training feels more like free labor.

During the 4 days, you are expected to come in about an hour after the afternoon shift starts, and you can leave anywhere from 1 to 2 hours before it ends depending on how the managers are feeling that day. On the last day, you are to stay until the end of the shift (9pm) and learn the closing process—bringing carts/baskets, closing shades, and fixing the bread and meat aisles.

After the training, you are called on Saturday to confirm your availability (this is the day that the schedule is planning out) and then the schedule is finalized on Sunday. You can either call and ask what you days you're working, but I really recommend getting a friend or coworker to send you a picture of it so you can see what days everyone else is working. This is really helpful for when you can't work and need someone to cover for you.

Interview Questions

• The only question was "What days are you available?" as there is no actual interviewing process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

After training for 4 days, you're just asked to confirm days you're available to work and you are given your schedule usually the following day.

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Key Food (Brooklyn, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

It was not much of an interview. She just asked me my days that I am available and hours and that was it. She explained to me that I would be training for 4 days and then I would be on my own.

Anonymous Employee in Floral Park, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Key Food (Floral Park, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Non-existent, either the manager hires you from first glance or not. Just fill out the application with the basic information, no previous experience required. You'll be working immediately the next day. You will be paid for training. After about a week or two of training you'll be hired at Key Food.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Key Food (Bronx, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

The interviewing process wasn't really all that difficult. For the First interview it was just the basics : "Tell me about a time when..." and "How would you handle this situation". I got called back for a second interview, but they told me the position was filled and offered me another position instead which was great.

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Key Food (Brooklyn, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

No interview required for this job.