Kickstarter Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Kickstarter

1 Interview Review

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kickstarter (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I interviewed at Kickstarter for a data analyst position in November 2016. I had another very high offer, but I believed in their mission and really liked everyone I met with, so I was really excited about working there. They came in on Tuesday morning with an offer 20k below my current salary, which I guess I should have mentioned earlier, but I felt that the hiring manager understood that I was looking for a more advanced role and that the salary would be in line with that. I’m a woman and I have been burned by gender wage inequality in the past, which has consistently been blamed on my own failure to negotiate. Hoping to prevent that this time around, I enlisted two male colleagues to guide me through the negotiation process, who kept assuring me that nothing bad could happen if I asked for more money. I really tried to work with Kickstarter, having multiple phone conversations, mentioning extra vacation days, etc, and ultimately just asked them to match my current salary.

On Friday at 2:30, they had still not met my current number. When I mentioned again, very nicely, that 5k more to match would seal the deal, the recruiter said, “if it’s just about the money….” and she actually scoffed at me. Like I said, I am new at this, and as a woman trying to negotiate, I feel damned if I do and damned if I don’t. She asked if I could let them know by EOD or early Saturday morning, and I agreed. I spent the next few hours trying to figure out if their team and the role were good enough to justify a pay cut — and then, at 5:55 on Friday evening(!), I received an e-mail from the recruiter that they were rescinding my offer.

I am deeply saddened that this company, whose mission I truly believed in, would actually TAKE BACK an offer because of whatever societal standards for women’s behavior I didn’t conform to when I tried to advocate for myself. I have never heard of this happening, and as much as I’ve tried, I cannot imagine this same thing happening to a man.

If they try to sell you on their values of diversity and progressiveness, please do not believe them. It is up to every individual in a progressive place to check themselves on implicit biases, and there is no excuse. If you are a woman who is considering working there, please take my experience to heart and trust that they do not practice what they preach, and you deserve better. If you are anyone of any gender identity who is interviewing there, proceed with caution even after you have an offer, because they are not trustworthy.

Interview Questions

• The interview was very personality-focused, with not many technical questions, if any. I had 6 interviews at 45 minutes each, which really is enough time to make sure that you mesh with someone, and I passed all of those. I was given a standard take-home project after I went it, which I sent in 2 days after it was sent to me.   Answer Question