Kickstarter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Kickstarter Interview Questions

Interviews at Kickstarter

2.6

Operations Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kickstarter in August 2017.

Interview

Scheduled phone screen with recruiter who never called at the scheduled time.

I wish there was more to write about, but there isn't and this box has a thirty word minimum.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Kickstarter.

Interview

Painfully long interview process which was a huge red flag about how understaffed, overwhelmed and disorganized the company is. After weeks turned into months of “thanks for your patience, we will get back to you soon” I had pretty much lost interest and began interviewing at other companies until they got the gist and finally sent me a rejection letter.

IOS Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Kickstarter.

Interview

Applied directly on their website and got contacted few days later.
    1. Phone call with the recruiter. Very standard, no technical questions.
    2. Code challenge - Build a single view app that searches GIFs using the GIPHY API. No deadline. I built it with a framework I know they use internally and some features like async image loading, caching and unit tests. Overall easy, make sure to organize your code properly.
    3. The on-site interview was pretty easy, there was only one technical interview which consisted in adding a single feature to the code challenge. I was done in 20min. The 3 other interviews were all behavioral questions. Also, sign that the company is actually not at its best, all interviewers were new hires or junior level devs. The only thing impressive was the office.

After the on-site, I’ve never heard back from the recruiter at all even after following up with him. No official response or feedbacks from their team. A total waist of time...

Interview Questions

• Build a single view app that allows the user to search for GIFs using Giphy’s API   Answer Question

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kickstarter (New York, NY) in May 2018.

Interview

Phone call with recruiter, phone call with their only Android engineer.

Questions were all over the place from non technical to technical. I didn't feel a good vibe with their engineer so I wasn't further interested but also never heard back from them.
    I guess they think ghosting appropriate behavior.

My main red flag was that I was told the company wanted to be nimble and purposely small when it's public knowledge that half their engineering team walked out recently. Things happen, own them, don't lie.

Outreach Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Kickstarter in November 2018.

Interview

I applied online, got a reply about a week later, and then set up a time for a phone interview. The interview went really well, and lasted for about 30 minutes. I was then given a written assignment, and told they'd reach out to set up a second phone interview in the next couple days. I believe the interviewer's exact words were "this process will move very fast."

A week passed without hearing back, so reached out via email again, and was told that KS is having hiring department troubles, and that the process might take a bit longer than usual. A month passed before I got another reply -- this time saying they had decided not to advance my application.

Bummer for sure, but I'm starting to think I might've dodged a bullet here. All in all, it took Kickstarter 7 weeks to review my application and move forward. I think that says a lot about the state of the company

Interview Questions

• There honestly weren't many structured/planned questions in the interview -- or at least it didn't seem that way. It was mostly stuff about my background, and asking me to elaborate on the stuff I had on my resume   1 Answer

Operations Team Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kickstarter (Brooklyn, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Had 5 interviews including the initial HR phone screen (spread over the 3 weeks). Met with the direct manager of the new role for about 45 min, then heads of 3 departments/C-level officer at the end for about the same time, little less. Everyone was very nice, very chill and low key. Friendly.

Interview Questions

• What is a problem that you've faced and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Payments Integrity Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kickstarter (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

I met with several team members managers and analysts. The interviewers were all extremely friendly and welcoming. The questions all around were mostly about past experience. Each interviewer basically asked the same questions as the interviewer before. Very nice people, but i did not learn that much about them or the job. It could be that the job is pretty straight forward and there wasn't much to tell but I am used to interviewers giving very detailed descriptions of the duties and responsibilities of the position. Laid back folks who say "gnarly" a lot.

Community Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kickstarter in January 2018.

Interview

Received email invitation for phone interview within 1 week of applying online. Spoke with head of the department I was applying to for about 45 minutes. He was friendly, interested in my background and asked general questions.
    At the end of the interview, he said I would hear back in about 2 weeks. Never heard back so I emailed them and never got a reply.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kickstarter (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Kickstarter is one of my favourite companies, and I would have loved to work for them. I've backed nearly three dozen campaigns and my skillset appeared to closely match what they were seeking, so I figured I would be a good fit, if not a good potential candidate. I had applied online via their job posting and was immediately contacted for a phone interview.

It seemed to go well, the interviewer was very nice, and he focused more on my personality and goals rather than technical background. The call lasted around half an hour and the whole interaction seemed quite candid, so I had a good feeling. I was told that if they decided to move forward with me I would be sent a technical challenge, but either way I should expect an answer in 2-3 days.

After a week and a half with no response I decided to send a follow up email. Good old read receipt told me the email was opened within an hour. At the time of writing this it's been nearly a month and I still haven't heard back, so I think I get the message.

I can appreciate if a company decides not to move forward with a candidate, but I find it pretty disrespectful to completely ignore communication. In the end this experience has tainted my opinion of the company that I have loved for years.

Regional Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kickstarter.

Interview

It took a few weeks to receive an answer to my email, then we set up a skype interview in about a weeks time. After that I waited about three weeks for an answer.

Interview Questions

• Describe an event in your professional life that had the biggest impact on you.   Answer Question