Kiewit Corporation Field/Office Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Kiewit Corporation Field/Office Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Kiewit Corporation

2.2

Field/Office Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kiewit Corporation in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online on their website. Got a phone interview with them and waiting to hear back. I am still in the interviewing process. It is going good so far and they are really nice.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Kiewit Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cypress, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kiewit Corporation (Cypress, TX) in March 2018.

Interview

I became interested in Kiewit as a pathway into building things, and ultimately design work down the road through engineering and architecture firms; so I applied, hoping to ask some questions (in part because their corporate pages are shallow and generic). I was familiar with the lifestyle and worked with such people. I had seen the company/subsidiary was involved in power plant and infrastructure construction, so this appealed to me.

I received an email inviting me to select a date and time for a phone interview. The interviewer called right on schedule, and was polite as well as focused on the conversation. She also responded positively when I gave the reason for applying. She asked me why I majored in what I did, and followed that by asking what I was hoping to achieve - which is PE Licensure; she responded positively and mentioned that there were many positions in the company that we could consider, but that detail didn't come up again - I grew suspicious. My prior experience was well received.

A few minutes into our 15 minute call, I was certain I wasn't interested or could be made to be interested; I felt increasingly overqualified as I learned more details that had not been online. But I opted to let it run its course and to accommodate them. I eventually pointed out that the job description itself had been lacking. And this judgement comes from someone who has spent years writing technical papers that were viciously scrutinized by PhD's from Berkeley, Stanford, NASA, etc (these people are also my references, haha).

Kiewit essentially copy-pastes its job descriptions (at the time I'd applied), modifying only a few details like location or subsidiary. The subsidiary page itself - which mostly repeats the main Kiewit page, mentioned vague involvement in my areas of interest, hence my application. But details over the phone modified this picture negatively. I had these pages open on multiple screens prior to the call, so I could spot incongruities or inadequacies in seconds.

Rather than assign sinister intent, I suspect they are suffering a case of too much prior/internal knowledge and don't know what the rest of their store front actually looks like to outsiders. It's also possible many of the people that apply there make their way via trade schools, and obtain their prior knowledge through exposure and career fairs, etc. that my major/university had nothing to do with.

If your passion is construction and/or field work (trying to avoid being stuck in a cubicle), but not design or theory work, this sounds like a good company to go with. Be able to express a particular "passion" when they call you. But if like me you'd prefer the hands-on work be rather more technical/advanced, look elsewhere or consider something else at Kiewit. Or use it as a stepping stone for something else. I might have done that, but I can pick up the phone to my old contractor and make more money than Kiewit can pay me, and since the position was otherwise useless to me, I let it go.

Interview Questions

• Why Kiewit?
      Why did you major in (blank) engineering?
      What do you see yourself doing? / What are your professional goals?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kiewit Corporation (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied for the position through Handshake.com. I got a phone interview within a week. The phone interview was with HR recruiter which lasted for 20 minutes just going through the position and if you are willing to relocate and set up the expectation.

Then after a few days, I got an email from HR inviting me for on-site interview in Minneapolis ( they took care of my flight, car rental, hotel expenses). The on-site interview was a great experience. The onsite interview from ( 8-11:30).
    8-9 going through the company history and what they do
    9-10 first interview with two managers
    10-11 second interview with two other managers
    11-11:30 meeting with HR manager to go over the company benefits.

I did the interview on Friday and I got an offer on the following Tuesday. I didn't accept the offer for serval reasons but the main reason I rejected the offer because there is no work/life balance at all with Kiewit, the expectation is to work 10 hr/day which is abnormal.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Kiewit Corporation (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2017.

Interview

The whole process was extremely pleasant. The recruiter and staff that I met with very very polite. I heard back from the recruiter within a very short amount of time.

Interview Questions

• Are you more interested in doing the actual work or being an engineer?   Answer Question

Field/Office Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Kiewit Corporation in March 2018.

Interview

I actually had two interviews for different locations. The first one for Los Angeles went well, Kiewit put a lot of effort in for their candidates. They put on an orientation and interview day for candidates. It was a bit intimidating sitting alongside 8 potential candidates. I had wished they gave a more personal experience. The only negative part was that the recruiter EMPHASIZED she would let us know the results as much as possible no matter what, which she did not. I had another interview for Minneapolis for the same position, and let me just say the recruiter was super unprofessional. I got GHOSTED the day of my interview, completely ridiculous and unprofessional. The recruiter also never replied back after that. Completely threw away my chance. After that, I knew I did not want to work for Kiewit. I also have heard from employees that they completely abuse the salary system and force employees to work a ton of hours overtime, 40 hour weeks turn into 60.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Kiewit Corporation (Fairfield, CA) in March 2019.

Interview

overall it was great. First there were 2 phone interviews where they asked basic questions and made sure that you dont mind relocating often and working long hours, then I was invited to their fairfield office where the interviews were held. i was there with 9 other candidates who applied to the same position. after 1 week from the interview i was sent an email saying that they decided to go with other candidates

plane tickets, hotel, transportation and 3 meals a day were fully covered by Kiewit

Interview Questions

• if you were to sell a product to myself, what would your pitch be?   Answer Question