King County Library System Interview Questions | Glassdoor

King County Library System Interview Questions

2.6

Volunteer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanford, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at King County Library System (Hanford, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interview was conducted onsite in conference room. Various other candidates were also at the interview meeting. Hanford library employees gave us each a detailed hand-out of what was going to be covered. History of Kings County Library was reviewed, what positions were opened, and description of each job. Folders containing paper work for applications were included. Meeting was closed and refreshments were available.

Interview Questions

• Can you work in a group as well as independently?   1 Answer

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at King County Library System (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Met with department head and department assistant, typing test, filing test. The interview was casual. The format has changed considerably; you now meet with a minimum of 2 people and a lot more is asked of you.

Interview Questions

• Show them something that I created using Excel (this was 16 years ago so Excel was a big thing). Now questions consist of how you handle situations and what sort of experience you have that could be used in the position you're interview for.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, there is a pay scale, the jobs have varying pay scales and you receive whatever the job's scale is at + your experience (i.e. you could start in the middle of the pay scale).

Children's Librarian/Librarian Pool Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Issaquah, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at King County Library System (Issaquah, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Two hour interview where you meet with one interviewer for one hour. Another interviewer for another hour. They have a list of questions that ask. The first interview had a three page list of questions; The second interviewer had a shorter list and I wonder if they selected only certain questions because I did not answer the previous questions appropriately.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you developed or promoted and what was your process?
      Describe a position that a co-worker had that you didn't agree with and describe that person's point of view
      Describe a position or process you implemented that wasn't popular. What did you do to gain acceptance? How did you implement it?
      Describe a situation with an angry customer, what were the steps you took to diffuse the situation?
      How do you handle diversity ?
      There were more questions about collaboration with co-workers and describe extra projects or successful ideas that you have implemented. I feel that they were looking for an individual who contributes successfully to the team and the organization. Additionally, they are looking for a person who can work on a team . If you have many examples of both scenarios, you will do well. I thought I did but I didn't make it past this interview. I have to wait 12 months to apply again.
      Answer Question

Community Engagement Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Issaquah, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at King County Library System (Issaquah, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview process consisted of an phone interview with the Director and hiring manager followed by an in person interview with the Director again and the other team members. The team interview was in a group setting. This was followed by a proofreading and editing exercise.

Interview Questions

• They asked about how I stay organized, and to elaborate with specific examples.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at King County Library System.

Interview

After submitting an online application I was immediately contacted to say that I would be contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview happened about 1 1/2 weeks later. It was a scripted seven question interview. I thought it went well and was notified about 2 weeks later that I had made it through to the next round which was a two hour interview and assessment. After another week or so I was offered time slots for that interview which took place at their headquarters. I met with one person and an observer. There were a lot of questions about working with different types of people and handling conflict. I was then given a scenario to think about and write some notes about. Then I met with another person and an observer. I went over the scenario and how I would handle the situation. Then there were more questions about working with different types of people and conflict. I thought I had answered most questions good to great and flubbed a few. I was notified a week or so later that I was not chosen. There is no feedback offered so I have no idea where I did not do well.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a conflict with someone different from you and talk about it from the other person's perspective.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at King County Library System.

Interview

The process can be lengthy. After the initial application materials are submitted there is a waiting period as the HR Department works its way through the applications. Eventually you are scheduled for a phone interview where several simple "classic" interview type questions are asked, including a few specific to library philosophy (free and open access for all).

After making it through the phone interview you are eventually contacted for an in-person interview. This can vary widely based on who is interviewing you, but the selection of questions is generally about the same. A lot of things about working in fast environments, how you handle multiple priorities, what you would do in certain situations and questions regarding managing projects. You'll also be asked about experience in working with difficult patrons/customers, as well as difficult coworkers. Be prepared with several examples of accomplishments you're proud of and ones you're not so proud of.

If you did well, and most do, you are now in the Library Technical Assistant Pool. But you don't have a job.

Once your in the pool you can apply to specific positions. You are accepted based on the score you received from the various components of the initial application process. These interviews can also vary depending on what cluster you are interviewing at, but the questions are largely the same as the interview for the pool.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you've gone against your supervisor's wishes and it turned out well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Payment and scheduling is set in stone.

Library Page Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at King County Library System.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted for an interview about a week later. The interview was on-site with two supervisors and took about 20 minutes. First, they gave me a skills test of putting library books - both fiction and nonfiction - in order on a cart. Then they asked me a few basic questions like "Why do you want to work here? Can you perform the physical duties of the job with or without reasonable accommodation? This library has materials that some may find offensive, do you have any objections to handling materials that you may find offensive in nature?" If you have prior customer service experience, this interview should not be hard. You'll be asked to give examples of how you would handle difficult people, things like that.

Interview Questions

• A patron is using the computer and is looking at material you find offensive. How would you handle the situation?   1 Answer

Librarian Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at King County Library System in April 2008.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a telephone interview and two face-to-face interviews. All of this was not to compete for an actual job, but for an opportunity to be put into the "pool" in case a job opened up. All in all it was quite unsatisfying, because even after three long sessions, even if you are successful, you aren't getting a job. You're given the opportunity to wait, along with 180 other poor fools.

Interview Questions

• Only question I can remember is, "what book would you suggest for someone who likes to read Georgette Heyer?"   1 Answer