King Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

King Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at King

3.1

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at King in December 2014.

Interview

The process consists of three stages. First, a recruiter will contact you to set a date for a timed two-hour written aptitude test. This test is designed to get a general overview of your abilities, so nothing too complicated. The questions in this test are not language specific, although some basic knowledge of SQL is obviously required.

The second stage consists of a one-hour face-to-face (or skype) conversation in which the questions are a bit more technical, though the tone of the interview was very friendly in my case.

The third stage is to meet the rest of the team. At the moment, I'm waiting and hoping to be invited so I can't say anything about this yet. (I'll see if I can update this review later on)

All in all, it's been a very nice, not-scary experience.

Interview Questions

• There were some specific stats questions that I wished I had answered better.   2 Answers

Feb 25, 2015 – Global Employer Brand

Thank you for your feedback! We're always looking for how to improve our processes and it's great that your overall experience was positive. Best of luck to you in the future!

Other Interview Reviews for King

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at King.

Interview

I was approached by a recruiter at Silicon Milkroundabout and filled in a form. A King recruiter then got in touch (providing a LinkedIn address only) to invite me to do a 2-hour online test. We agreed a time for the test and I blocked 2 hours in my diary and took time to prepare... but they didn't send the test.

I repeatedly tried to get in touch with their recruiters to re-arrange but to no avail. I never heard back from them in any way.

Perhaps they'd filled the position? In which case a simple message would have been sufficient. As it is, they've come across to me as unprofessional time wasters.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part is that they make you block time out for a test and then simply ignore you.   Answer Question

Feb 25, 2015 – Global Employer Brand

That doesn't sound great and I'm sorry to hear that. I'll notify the recruitment team about your feedback but for an individual response, please email: recruitment@king.com. Thank you!

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at King (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in October 2013.

Interview

First, a timed technical test done by email - quite of a time pressure, mostly focusing on computer science basics and less on analytical skills. The test results were used as a basis for the skype interview. Next, they scheduled an interview day at the Stockholm office. This whole process was quick and efficient.

There were six interviews on the interview day. The interviewers were of different roles and places in the hierarchy, and were quite unstructured (just strictly timed). The amount of stress imposed during more than 7 hours of interviews - with almost no break, is huge. My impression was that the interviewers are extremely professional as employees, but given the low predictive validity of unstructured interviews, the whole process is useless as a selection tool. Some interviewers gave clear feedback during the session, which I found quite useful.

The last interview was very concrete, and the interviewer tried to convince me why I should NOT have the job. I guess I didn't do a very positive impression after those long hours of questioning. Nevertheless, it was an insightful and direct interview.

I think that I did not exhibit the full spectrum of technical skills they were expecting, but - for the most part - was not mentally ready to relocate, which is something that is difficult to "mask". Overall, the rejection made sense, but for the wrong reason. A burn-in unstructured interviews of 7 hours in a foreign city would primarily screen your capacity to stay alert, sharp and friendly under severe chronic stress. It would be a great screen for a job with a high burnout rate (e.g., flight controllers), but not for a data scientist. It was not a pleasant experience for me, but I learned a thing or two.

My impression is that King hires some very professional people in BI / Data Science, but not necessarily in fields like recruitment and human resources.First, I had to perform a timed screening test sent to me by email - mostly focusing on computer science basics and less on analytical skills.

The test results were used as a basis for the skype-based screening interview. Next, they scheduled an interview day at the Stockholm office. This whole process was quick and efficient.

The last interview was very concrete, and the interviewer tried to convince me why I should NOT take the job. I guess I did not do a very positive impression after those long hours of questioning. Nevertheless, we had a frank and insightful conversation.

I think that I did not exhibit the full spectrum of technical skills they were expecting, but - for the most part - was not mentally ready to relocate, which is something that is difficult to ignore. Overall, the rejection made sense to me. Nevertheless, a burn-in-series of unstructured interviews lasting 7 hours in a foreign city would primarily indicate your capacity to stay alert, sharp and friendly under severe chronic stress. It would be a great screen for a job with a high burnout rate (e.g., flight controllers), but not for a data scientist. It was not a pleasant experience for me, but I learned a thing or two.

Interview Questions

• The questions ranged from technical particularities to logical, statistical and even philosophical questions. I do not believe that many questions were prepared in advance, so there is really little to prepare for. What was of chief importance to the interviewrs is to assure that I am not just a pure statistician or hacker on one hand, or a pure business guy on the other hand. Some seemed quite suspicous why someone with my extensive experience would be applying to a not-so-senior role.   Answer Question

Oct 6, 2015 – Global Employer Brand

We want to say thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Your feedback is valuable to us - it helps the team understand how we can evolve. Best of luck in future endeavours!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barcelona (Spain)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at King (Barcelona (Spain)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for a job as a data scientist, which I was aware I might not be really qualified for (I was honestly very surprised they contacted me at all about my application). As I'm not in any hurry to leave my current job, I thought it was worth a shot. It was great practice and an overall good experience. They seem like a fun, smart team.

Process details:
    1. Submitted application through King's website with cover letter and resume tailored to them.
    2. Contacted by King recruiter about setting up a technical exam.
    3. Two-hour technical exam (taken remotely from my home). Included some questions about basic queries, data gathering, etc. Nothing too complex.
    4. Half-hour Skype chat with recruiter to talk about logistics (moving), culture, etc. It sounds like not a lot of people prepare for these, as they were surprised I knew things from the past quarter earnings call. This started late and went over time due to my questions.
    5. One-hour Skype chat with two data scientists for a technical interview. The questions were not as difficult as I was expecting, actually, but I didn't pass the bar. This also started late and ran over time due to my questions.
    6. I did not get to this step but previously was told it would be meeting the hiring manager.
    7. [Not sure of intermediate steps.]
    8. Again, I did not get to this stage, but if I had, I was told the final stage would be traveling to their office to spend a couple days with the team.

My statistical knowledge is admittedly lacking, and I don't think I showcased what I do know well on the technical side. From how the conversation went and what it seemed they were looking for, I think it was completely reasonable that they decided against continuing to the next round of interviews. The interviewers were kind and professional, even as I stumbled through some questions. Also, the recruiter provided some great specific feedback for me to improve on, which is very helpful.

Con: They seem to have some difficulties with sticking to time lines. I don't really mind, but I can imagine that this would bother some people. The technical test was sent to me an hour early by accident and both Skype sessions started and ended late (the ending late partially because of the late start, partially because I had lots of questions). Point being, if you're uptight about time, this might not be a good fit for you.

Interview Questions

• Describe some statistical modeling techniques you have used.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at King (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied for a position as data scientist and before going to the onsite interview I got three different interviews with three data scientist of the team. At the office I had three more interviews (there were four but apparently the fourth person could not come). People was very friendly all the time (exept for one person) and definitely looks like a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• Describe what is a linear regression in detail   1 Answer

Jul 21, 2015 – Global Employer Brand

Great and thanks for sharing your experience!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at King (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

The worst interview process that I have
    I applied through LinkedIn to a position as a Data Scientist. A recruiter contacts me some days after. Because I was on holidays, we decided together that I will contact her after my holidays. I was surprised to receive an email, before the date we fixed, informing me that I withdraw my application (I never did that). Because I was interested in this position, I send no one but 2 mails: the same day, and some days after to inform that I never withdraw my candidature and i would be plpeased to pass the technical tst. The recruiter contacts me one week after to inform me that it will be ok even if she was leaving for holidays. I answered to fix an appointment and no any answer from them until 2 hours of my suggested appointment. Because, I didn't schedule it, I didn't see that the recruiter sent me the technical test even if I didn't confirm the time. It was on friday, so I answer that I was sorry but because she didn't answer and I didn't see the mail I wasn't able to complete the test in the deadlines. I didn't get the answer but to not stay in a negative impression, I took 2 hours of my free time to complete the test on Sunday morning Sept 13rd and send it. I got a quick answer that explains that I will get an answer on the next Thurday, precisely end of the dat so the 17th of Sept. I am stil waiting for it...

About the technical test, it was a mixed between some mathematical questions, SQL queries, thoughts about how to design a data table.

Interview Questions

• Write code that returns the sum of the 10 first numbers of the Fibonacci suite that are up to 1000   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at King (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

There was a first simple test although the time limit was quite tight. After that there was a final face to face interview at their offices. The interview questions were quite theoretical compared to other data science interviews I have had, which were more focused on practical cases. You really need to brush up on stats and some machine learning models.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barcelona (Spain)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at King (Barcelona (Spain)) in April 2016.

Interview

After an online application, including cover letter and CV, I was contacted by a recruiter, which whom I had a 30' Skype conversation. This conversation was a first contact with the company, and it was nontechnical.

The next stage was a remote test which included maths, stats, and programming, SQL is a must. Test is average difficulty but people tend to perform well, extremely important SQL and R.

Although I did not get an offer or step to the next stage of the process, the recruiter was extremely helpful all the time and gave me a lot of feedback and potential recommendations for future applications.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you can help King?, why King?, what understanding do you have of gaming industry?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at King (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very long. I applied on December for a Data Scientist role for a new Game Studio. In January they called me back and I had to complete the following steps:
    - CV review
    - a test of 2 hours made online. All the answers were about statistics, probability, SQL, managerial thinking and coding. It is possible to find all the questions in other comments. It was very easy.
    - an telephonic interview with HR
    - a technical video interview (using Blue Jeans) with a Senior Data Scientist. He principally asked me to explain my previous project and how I would solve some normal issue they have at King such as high cardinality, testing without knowing parameters or distribution and so on. It was really fun, the interviewer was very kind. It lasts around 1 hour - 1 hour and a half.
    - 4 different video interviews, one after the other, for a total of 3 hours and a half. I had to talk with four different people. One interview was technical, the other one were about management and BI. They were all very similar. They asked me to explain my CV and my passion. We talked a lot about video games.

All the process takes 1 month (January-February). Then, they said to me to wait for a positive or negative answer. Only a last interview, defined a formality, was missing. It is April and I'm still waiting. I tried to contact the HR twice just to have some updates but they never answered me back. I found everyone really gentle and polite but I think that it is absolutely unprofessional not to answer to mails. I am thinking about reapplying again to the same position just to know that I am still waiting.

Interview Questions

• - In which way would you decide how to change the design of a video game?
      - How to group users and test their behaviors even if they have very different statistical distribution?
      - Which is the best seller power-up in Candy Crush?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barcelona (Spain)

Application

I interviewed at King (Barcelona (Spain)) in June 2013.

Interview

The hiring process is extremely elaborate, many stages, but mostly very, very pleasant people, but the outcome does not seem to ever be positive. The company seems to be just looking around.