King Game Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

King Game Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at King

3.2

Game Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at King (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied through a recruiter to London.
First there was a phone interview. The next step was a four day long test.
I had to implement a game similar to Candy Crush in C++ using SDL.
I wrote the code in XCode. I assumed that as they use C++ only for mobile, it naturally means that they use Mac or Linux for development. Because of this I freely used C++11 features.
I was wrong. After a week they asked me to compile the code for them for Windows....
It took me another half a day. (most of it was spent installing and upgrading the os) I removed some C++11 features to make it compilable on Visual Studio too.
Next I had an interview in the London office. After that things went very slowly. l had 4-5 additional interviews in the following 2 months. I always get good feedback, but no offer. They bounced my application from one team to another.
My last interview was more than 3 weeks ago. Since then no reply from them. They don't even respond to the recruiter.
The whole thing indicates a deeply flawed hiring process for me.

Interview Questions

• Product people asked only product questions. They seem to be in charge. They don't care about your engineering skills/interests.   1 Answer

King Response

Jun 5, 2014 – Global Employer Brand

We’re sorry to hear about your experience. We do constantly review our processes and we will definitely take your experiences into our consideration. We appreciate you taking the time to share your... More

Other Interview Reviews for King

Game Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at King in April 2015.

Interview

The process of this company is sucks,
    do you really want to hire anybody?

The HR is really sucks.
    If we only talk about the process, it's the worst company I have ever interviewed.

Interview Questions

King Response

Jul 21, 2015 – Global Employer Brand

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and sorry to hear about your experience. We constantly review our recruitment process and we'll take your comments into consideration for... More

Game Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at King.

Interview

I applied on King's careers page late October, and as stated the applications would not be scanned until the 9th of December, when the deadline is.

I was contacted via email a week later and an online interview was setup for 2 weeks later. The interview was conducted using the Hirevue system which is a one-way interview the applicant completes on their own time. Albeit a bit impersonal and strange the questions asked were reasonable and the coding questions were pretty easy as well.

About half a month later I was notified that I had progressed to the next step, which was a face to face interview with a tech lead and a senior dev. It was primarily a value based interview mixed up with some technical questions about programming languages, APIs and technologies. During the end of this interview there was a coding test on the spot which is easy but pretty stressful having 2 devs watching you code..

Surprisingly I passed to the last stage which was an onsite interview and tour around the campus. The offices were amazing and everyone extremely friendly and accommodating. The HR was particularly impressive in terms of how fast they replied to my emails especially during preparations (flight tickets, scheduling) before the onsite interview.

Overall a very positive experience would definitely recommend.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA. Relatively simple questions. Know your Algorithmics and Data Structures   Answer Question

Game Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at King.

Interview

You first have to do a recording interview where you answer 9 pre recorded questions (two of which will be simple coding exercises). After this the recruiter will take a look at your answers and decide if you can pass to the next step. The next step consists of 4 interviews, each one 45 minutes in length with some of the developpers at the studio you're applying to. Question revolve around your past projects and C++ general questions (pointers, abstraction, memory management...). The interviewers are all very nice and create a friendly environment. Once you've finished the interview you'll recieve an call from the recruiter letting you know wether you got the position or not.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to join King?   1 Answer

Game Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at King (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

I didn't make it any further, but the process was fun. After it was over they called me to give me feedback about why they hadn't progressed my application further and encouraged to try again. Feels like they are improving on those bad recruitment reviews there are from past years.

Interview Questions

• Half an integer without using * or / in your preferred language.   3 Answers
    • If you could work anywhere in the technology industry where would you work and why   Answer Question

Game Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at King (Singapore (Singapore)) in May 2015.

Interview

When to the studio to take part in an on-site game coding test. It went from 11am to 5pm. There was a lunch with some studio staff. In the end of the test, there was a discussion about the code with some studio staff.