King's College London Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

the interview included a panel of 3 including competency based questions, a presentation on a pre specified title and a simple assessment where I was asked to look at data coding

Interview Questions

• One question involved talking about my favourite or most used analytical method   1 Answer

Admissions Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

KCL application form with statement. The interview and test lasted 1 hour - 30 mins to write an email response to a prospective student and decide whether 3 different candidates should be admitted or not. Then a panel interview (with 3 interviewers) which lasted around 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were given a large amount of boring tasks to complete?   Answer Question

Laboratory Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

The panel consisted of three interviewers and was a short interview. I was just asked common interview questions such as tell me about yourself etc etc. They then took me on a tour around the labs and that was it.

Prospect Research Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online through the KCL careers website and received an invite to interview approximately a week later. The interview process consisted of a written test and a panel interview with 3 members of the fundraising team at King's.

Interview Questions

• What research tools have you used to carry out prospect research?   Answer Question
    • How would you build rapport with a major gift fundraiser?   Answer Question

Programmes Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I had a test first on Excel and then a writing task which asked you to prioritise in what order you would attend to tasks. The interview went well, I felt, and the panel was very nice and approachable. The negative aspect of this process is that it took 11 days for them to get back to me to say I had not been chosen and I'm sure they could have let me know that sooner. It was a very difficult 11 days and a disappointing outcome for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you faced a challenge.
      How do you prioritise tasks?
      How would your skills help you to do this job well?   1 Answer

Online Teaching Fellow In Public Health (Online Masters Degree) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied in mid July 2017 and about a week after the job deadline had expired, I received an email inviting me for an interview. The email containing the interview invite itself stated just one date and time and did not give me any option to choose another date. This was an early sign that the interviewing process for this job was quite extreme. I remember noting, when I was filling out an application for this job, that there was no interview date listed which is unusual for an academic job spec. I was lucky that I could make the date and time as I work for most of the year unlike full time academics who have the summer off.

The interview itself was short (only 30 minutes and no presentation) but quite intense and it involved a panel interview with 2 Professors and 1 Lecturer. At points, I was asked some good questions but overall, it was quite a patronising and insulting interview:

At one point, one of the three interviewers asked me if I have a teaching philosophy (and she implied that I might not have been teaching long enough to have one). I may look young (I take care of my health unlike a lot of academics ) but I have been teaching for 10 years and I have more teaching experience than most academics at the Lecturer and Senior Lecturer levels.

It was also clear that one of them did not read my CV prior to the interview and she asked me if I had a teaching qualification: I replied that I was a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and she then asked, again in a patronising way, did that involve handing in a few assignments? And I replied saying that yes it did including some assignments that involved reflecting on how to design assignments as well as how to include different learning styles.

At one point, one of the panellists shouted at me because I had not answered the question in a way which she thought adequate and that really was the nadir of the whole process. Overall, they came off as quite vicious and very top down which is not unusual in academic interviews but there was a real lack of integrity and lack of professionalism.

After the interview itself, there was no communication from the HR team. I enquired a week after my interview asking for feedback on the interview as I presumed I had been unsuccessful. I received a reply saying that shortlisting had not been completed which was contrary to what I was told at the end of my interview.

I then sent the HR team another email 3 weeks later asking for feedback and I received a reply saying that they had decided not to take my application any further and to contact the Lecturer I was interviewed by if I had further questions. Upon looking at their website, it looks like this person was leaving King's at the end of August so it looks like there has been restructuring since my interview. Again, none of this was communicated to me and though I am experienced enough to have interviewed for other roles in the meantime, and I have accepted another job, the whole interview experience was poor and unprofessional.

I think any younger academics with good social and professional skills should steer clear of King's as it's a dog eat dog, and unappreciative, place. I also think a lot of people are stuck here and they clearly do not care about people's professional development or career development.

Interview Questions

• If offered the job, would you take it?   1 Answer
    • What particular issues, do you think, need to be considered when teaching primarily online?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at King's?   Answer Question

Personal Assistant and Academic Services Centre Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

I was interviewed for this post last year at one of their campuses. At the close of the interview, I queried when feedback would be issued whereupon I was apprised this would happen within a week or so. However, I was upset when I received ONLY the outcome TWO MONTHS post the interview! On multiple attempts, I sought feedback on test and interview performance, but was stunned that they snubbed me! The manner wherewith they ended the recruitment procedure was indisputably unbecoming and inept, making me feel I wasn't worth responding to, which is despicable. They would probably refrain hiring someone who they knew did this, underscoring their patent incongruity in standards. They must stop this otherwise they risk discouraging failed applicants from future roles and joining their competitors in this climate.

Data and Projects Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

The interview itself was not very tough, albeit the overall experience was most certainly unpleasant. This review will crystallise why. During the interview, it was stated by the head of the panel that feedback would be given on the test and justifying the recruitment decision, and this would follow within a week. However, nearly three weeks elapsed before I received any feedback. Such feedback was vague, incomprehensive and incomplete as various questions were unanswered. They did not comment on my test results, interview strengths and weaknesses plus improvement areas despite requesting this. But it gets worse, as the one in charge of information and projects reduced herself to continuously ignoring a specific matter even after a colleague promised this would be dealt with! I had to wait FOUR MONTHS before action was finally taken, far longer than anyone expected. Failure to observe their own timescales is a flagrant violation and inconsistency of their desire to recruit the highly organised.

From this experience and other recruitment processes at King's, it is evident they are completely disorganised plus undervalue and lack civility to candidates, thereby flouting their "inclusiveness" mantra. I wouldn't get involved with them again.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at King's College London in April 2017.

Interview

Received interview within 2 days. Interview was a week later. Interview included 30mins technical task (in my case MATLAB script writing) and 30mins panel interview. Interview was relatively standard. I was asked a range of questions from general interview questions (Why KCL, why this department...) to more technical (statistics...).

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

9 month fixed term contract - didn't get it but during the interview I had my doubts about the role. I've given it a negative review because of the process and lack of transparency for the role. I'm sure the people are great to work with but I didn't get a great vibe from the interview.

Before I applied I emailed the contact person about whether they would take anyone who had marketing experience which was pretty much the same as what they do but from a different industry. They said Yes. I also asked about whether the 9 month contract would be extended, they said it had not been discussed yet.

Once you complete an online application you receive an email from HR about the interview slot. They sent two emails with the wrong time and recalled it (but you still see the message) then a third with the actual slot so I had to email back to confirm that my slot was the correct one. In the email I was told that it would be a 50 minute interview followed by a 10 minute presentation. I arrived on time, they were about 10-15 minutes late in collecting me from reception. I was led to the interview room where I had a panel interview of 3 people. They didn't even get up to shake my hand which I think is a little weird and kind of rude. Like they hadn't really even interviewed anyone before.

So the presentation came first even though the email from HR said it would be at the end of the interview but OK I did it anyway. Then they each asked 3 questions each and an extra scenario Q. Out of the 3 people there I would only be working with one. One had nothing to do with me whatsoever and sat there the whole time fidgeting and being restless, it was actually hard to keep a straight face with that going on.

Then you ask them questions and I did. I went through the role a bit more because they barely discussed it in their questions to me. I realised the role was actually more admin than marketing because they way the department was organised they already had other people doing the marketing stuff. So mainly the role would be to organise the student ambassadors, sort out the logistics of sending stuff to events and supporting the Senior Marketing Officer. I had even brought with me a portfolio so I could show examples of my copy and work on social media. They weren't really interested and it hit me that I was overqualified for this role. I was doing more work in my current role but the salary was higher at King's for much less work.

Then after the interview, I was led to the staff area where I had to have more questions addressed to me by other colleagues (about 6) in the office at the same level as me (I'm guessing). These were questions to see what your character was like. Stuff like 'What planet would you live on?', 'What's your favourite colour? 'Cuisine? 'What superpower would you have?' etc etc. I'd like to say I was imaginative with my answers but you also have to be careful with what you say because remember these are fed back to the interviewers. Then you get to leave.

I didn't get the job - fair enough - but even though you attend the interview you are sent a 2 sentence automated rejection. I'm sorry but that is rude when people take time out of their day for this. So I asked the contact person for feedback so I can improve for my next interview and got a cop out response 'you were great but we gave the job to someone already doing the exact same job at another uni'. My issue with this is I had emailed about this, why bother even saying beforehand that they'll consider people from different marketing backgrounds. Then about the 9 month contract, I asked in the interview about the extension again and then I was told that it was to cover someone who was covering someone else's maternity so they had to keep the position open for him. Again, were you not aware of this before when I had already emailed asking the question?

I had to rant because honestly if someone from HR at King's is reading this - IMPROVE YOUR INTERVIEW PROCESS!!

Interview Questions

• How do you organise yourself?   Answer Question
    • Scenario: You're at an event and an applicant's mum asks you about their application and why they haven't heard back. Deadline is 2 weeks away. What do you do?   Answer Question