King's College London Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 20, 2017

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Programmes Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I had a test first on Excel and then a writing task which asked you to prioritise in what order you would attend to tasks. The interview went well, I felt, and the panel was very nice and approachable. The negative aspect of this process is that it took 11 days for them to get back to me to say I had not been chosen and I'm sure they could have let me know that sooner. It was a very difficult 11 days and a disappointing outcome for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you faced a challenge.
      How do you prioritise tasks?
      How would your skills help you to do this job well?   1 Answer

Personal Assistant and Academic Services Centre Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

I was interviewed for this post last year at one of their campuses. At the close of the interview, I queried when feedback would be issued whereupon I was apprised this would happen within a week or so. However, I was upset when I received ONLY the outcome TWO MONTHS post the interview! On multiple attempts, I sought feedback on test and interview performance, but was stunned that they snubbed me! The manner wherewith they ended the recruitment procedure was indisputably unbecoming and inept, making me feel I wasn't worth responding to, which is despicable. They would probably refrain hiring someone who they knew did this, underscoring their patent incongruity in standards. They must stop this otherwise they risk discouraging failed applicants from future roles and joining their competitors in this climate.

Data and Projects Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

The interview itself was not very tough, albeit the overall experience was most certainly unpleasant. This review will crystallise why. During the interview, it was stated by the head of the panel that feedback would be given on the test and justifying the recruitment decision, and this would follow within a week. However, nearly three weeks elapsed before I received any feedback. Such feedback was vague, incomprehensive and incomplete as various questions were unanswered. They did not comment on my test results, interview strengths and weaknesses plus improvement areas despite requesting this. But it gets worse, as the one in charge of information and projects reduced herself to continuously ignoring a specific matter even after a colleague promised this would be dealt with! I had to wait FOUR MONTHS before action was finally taken, far longer than anyone expected. Failure to observe their own timescales is a flagrant violation and inconsistency of their desire to recruit the highly organised.

From this experience and other recruitment processes at King's, it is evident they are completely disorganised plus undervalue and lack civility to candidates, thereby flouting their "inclusiveness" mantra. I wouldn't get involved with them again.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at King's College London in April 2017.

Interview

Received interview within 2 days. Interview was a week later. Interview included 30mins technical task (in my case MATLAB script writing) and 30mins panel interview. Interview was relatively standard. I was asked a range of questions from general interview questions (Why KCL, why this department...) to more technical (statistics...).

Student Interview

Interview

It was great, submit application and get in. it as such a wonderful experience. One that I will not soon forget not matter how long I live or don't live.

Interview Questions

• Can you study here full-time?   1 Answer

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

9 month fixed term contract - didn't get it but during the interview I had my doubts about the role. I've given it a negative review because of the process and lack of transparency for the role. I'm sure the people are great to work with but I didn't get a great vibe from the interview.

Before I applied I emailed the contact person about whether they would take anyone who had marketing experience which was pretty much the same as what they do but from a different industry. They said Yes. I also asked about whether the 9 month contract would be extended, they said it had not been discussed yet.

Once you complete an online application you receive an email from HR about the interview slot. They sent two emails with the wrong time and recalled it (but you still see the message) then a third with the actual slot so I had to email back to confirm that my slot was the correct one. In the email I was told that it would be a 50 minute interview followed by a 10 minute presentation. I arrived on time, they were about 10-15 minutes late in collecting me from reception. I was led to the interview room where I had a panel interview of 3 people. They didn't even get up to shake my hand which I think is a little weird and kind of rude. Like they hadn't really even interviewed anyone before.

So the presentation came first even though the email from HR said it would be at the end of the interview but OK I did it anyway. Then they each asked 3 questions each and an extra scenario Q. Out of the 3 people there I would only be working with one. One had nothing to do with me whatsoever and sat there the whole time fidgeting and being restless, it was actually hard to keep a straight face with that going on.

Then you ask them questions and I did. I went through the role a bit more because they barely discussed it in their questions to me. I realised the role was actually more admin than marketing because they way the department was organised they already had other people doing the marketing stuff. So mainly the role would be to organise the student ambassadors, sort out the logistics of sending stuff to events and supporting the Senior Marketing Officer. I had even brought with me a portfolio so I could show examples of my copy and work on social media. They weren't really interested and it hit me that I was overqualified for this role. I was doing more work in my current role but the salary was higher at King's for much less work.

Then after the interview, I was led to the staff area where I had to have more questions addressed to me by other colleagues (about 6) in the office at the same level as me (I'm guessing). These were questions to see what your character was like. Stuff like 'What planet would you live on?', 'What's your favourite colour? 'Cuisine? 'What superpower would you have?' etc etc. I'd like to say I was imaginative with my answers but you also have to be careful with what you say because remember these are fed back to the interviewers. Then you get to leave.

I didn't get the job - fair enough - but even though you attend the interview you are sent a 2 sentence automated rejection. I'm sorry but that is rude when people take time out of their day for this. So I asked the contact person for feedback so I can improve for my next interview and got a cop out response 'you were great but we gave the job to someone already doing the exact same job at another uni'. My issue with this is I had emailed about this, why bother even saying beforehand that they'll consider people from different marketing backgrounds. Then about the 9 month contract, I asked in the interview about the extension again and then I was told that it was to cover someone who was covering someone else's maternity so they had to keep the position open for him. Again, were you not aware of this before when I had already emailed asking the question?

I had to rant because honestly if someone from HR at King's is reading this - IMPROVE YOUR INTERVIEW PROCESS!!

Interview Questions

• How do you organise yourself?   Answer Question
    • Scenario: You're at an event and an applicant's mum asks you about their application and why they haven't heard back. Deadline is 2 weeks away. What do you do?   Answer Question

Undergraduate Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process took 3 weeks. The questions asked was simple however the interviewer seemed very disengaged. On the positive side they were running the interview on time. Negative side: they take far too long to notify the candidates of the outcome even though they inform you that they would let you know within few days. This is so Not true. I had few interviews with them where i found the outcome after 1 week. They never respond with feedback despite numerous email request.

Interview Questions

• What would you bring from your current role to the new role?
      Describe your current role?
      Describe a situation when you provided excellent customer service?   1 Answer

Interview

I was invited for an interview by the department responsible for human resources. I was utterly shocked when they withdrew my application when I simply asked if the interview could be rearranged! I NEVER said that if it cannot be rearranged that I could not attend. But the individual I had the misfortune of dealing with carelessly did not consider this. As a consequence, he damaged my reputation with the interview panel which contributed to them not progressing my application after the interview. A complaint will be raised against this individual, because he partly cost me this opportunity I will probably never get again!

Additionally, the blighter who irresponsibly withdrew my application booked two candidates for an interview scheduled AT THE SAME TIME! You don't have to be clever to recognise such carelessness, and I wouldn't expect that even from a high school student.

The interview panel promised feedback would be given within a week, but this never occurred. It took over 2 weeks to finally receive feedback, despite chasing them up.

I don't think I have ever come across such a disorganised and irresponsible bunch of people in my life. Ironically, these are the same people who want someone highly organised and methodical! Oh my, the inconsistencies abound.

Interview Questions

• Did you travel from far?
      If we offered you the post, when could you start?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at King's College London in November 2016.

Interview

It tool about a month to hear from them and receive an interview invitation, which was informed a week before. Presentation in the morning and general interview in the afternoon. The applicants were invited to have lunch together.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary was negotiable. Also asked relocation expenses to be included in the job package.

Admissions Support Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at King's College London (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

From online application to interview took just over 2 weeks. Received an initial e-mail inviting to interview on a certain day and then a second e-mail with specific timing & further details. Allotted 1 hour for entire process on the day, including test and panel interview.

Began by taking test for which you have 30 minutes to complete, you are given a desk in their busy office space to work at (so need to zone out some of the noise). You are given 5 dummy application forms from fictional applicants, with their details filled out. You are also given a page of guidelines for whether to accept, reject or refer to adviser their applications. Guidelines advise you what qualifications applicant needs to have, their residency requirements, personal statement quality e.t.c. On a separate sheet of paper you simply put a tick against your decision for each applicant and need to write a short sentence why you made this choice. Largely self-explanatory for how you decide on, though it requires some judgement on your part. More than enough time is given to finish test.

Then you are taken into small meeting room for panel interview with 3 people from the Admissions department, again you are given 30 minutes for this. They were very friendly and open, no tricks or good cop/bad cop routines. Each persons asks you 3-4 questions from their list and they write down your answer while you are speaking. Their questions are reasonably standard and only variations of usual interview questions, with a couple where they expect you to talk about a scenario from a previous job. Such as; why do you want this job, what do you think the greatest difficulty about this job is, what will you excel at in this job and what will you struggle with, how are you a good part of a team and describe a specific time, give us an instance where you dealt with a difficult person. Dependent on how much you talk for each question, you will likely finish ahead of time and have the opportunity for your own questions at the end.

Feedback was given on result of interview via e-mail within a week.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with repetitive and sometimes monotonous tasks?   2 Answers