King's Hawaiian Interview Questions | Glassdoor

King's Hawaiian Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at King's Hawaiian (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. The whole process took about a month. There were two phone interviews, one with HR and the other with the hiring manager. After a week, I was invited for an onsite, 4 rounds back-to-back interview at their HQ in Torrance, LA.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this role/company? Give me an example of managing a project from end to end.   Answer Question

National Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at King's Hawaiian (Torrance, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process with King's Hawaiian is extremely smooth! They are extremely hospitable and make you feel at home within their family! They do treat each other as if they are family. It shows during every interaction you have, which is funneled from the top of the organization.

Interview Questions

• The questions were extremely conversational and not the typical behavioral style, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It felt more relaxed and comfortable than the standardized interview.   1 Answer

Contract Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at King's Hawaiian (Torrance, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

1st Interview: Within 48 hours of my online submission, they reached out to me to schedule an in person interview. It was a panel interview with the Talent Acquisition Manager and Recruiter.

2nd Interview: Was contacted 3 weeks after the initial onsite interview. It was a panel interview with 3 different operations managers.

Interview Questions

• Culture fit plays a major role in our hiring decision. We've had candidates change after the 90 day evaluation period, which deems them unfit for culture. How do you vet this out?   1 Answer

Executive Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at King's Hawaiian (Torrance, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online via the company website. A couple of weeks later I received an email requesting a 30 minute phone interview the following week. The phone interview was very pleasant. The recruiter reviewed the history of King's Hawaiian Bakery and provided a little overview of the position and the company. She did ask a fair deal of questions. They were more in-depth that most phone interviews I have done prior.

I received another email about a week later with a request for an in-person interview the following week. This was a panel interview with 2 individuals who are currently in the role/work closely with the person currently in the role. The third participant was the recruiter I previously interviewed with via phone.

The interview was pleasant and upbeat. Some of the situation-based questions do take a few minutes to process and derive poised answers.

A little advice:

Some of the questions seemed like they wanted a response specific to processes at King's Hawaiian (booking travel came to my mind). It is challenging to know what processes/resources are available at a company prior to interviewing. The answer can be as easy as finding flights on Kayak/Expedia, using an internal travel booking software, or coordinating with a full-blown travel department. I know I have done all three at various employers based on their infrastructure.

The first question asked if I had experience with specific software/programs. I was thrown for a loop a bit since the position description did not mention this requirement. Since these programs were a bit unique to this particular position, it would have been good to know going into the process.

Rather than do a panel interview, I would have rather done 3 consecutive one-on-one interviews. I felt I wasn't able to really connect with each interviewer and gain a report.

Lastly-- the "thank you" I received as I was leaving the interview was unexpected and very much appreciated. It does leave you with a warm feeling and sense of "ohana." Thanks again to King's Hawaiian for allowing me to be a part of the process. Regardless of the outcome, I will leave with a positive experience.

The next steps left at the end of the interview were clear (once the candidate interview process was complete, they would circle back with me).

Interview Questions

• Describe what "Telling Like it Is in a Way that Can be Heard" means to you and how you live that in your life?

Describe what Aloha Spirit means and how you embody this concept?

Describe what you would do if you had a technical issue and no IT department to assist you?

Describe a situation when you made a mistake and how you resolved it?
      Answer Question

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakwood, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at King's Hawaiian (Oakwood, GA) in March 2016.

Interview

I have several phone interviews that apparently went well. The people I spoke with were very friendly, honest and open. I appreciated the frank discussions.

Overall, I liked the process. I was disappointed not to receive an offer, and it was that last interaction that I found disappointing. In my opinion, and I've interviewed many people myself, when you have a candidate that you bring into your facility, fly in from out of state, I do believe if you choose not to hire that individual, a brief phone call is appropriate. Instead, I received a two sentence email, stating they are looking at other candidates.

Again, I think a call should have been made informing me, but I'm sure it's all for the best!

Executive Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at King's Hawaiian (Torrance, CA).

Interview

After applying online , I received and email approx, two weeks later to schedule a first contact phone interview. The person I spoke with was so animated and told me the history of the Taira family and how Kings Hawaiian actually came to existence. He was great and his joy was shown through the phone! I was then contacted about a week after that to set up a face to face meeting at the corporate office.

I was greeted by two receptionist that were very friendly and as I sat , I enjoyed thumbing through wonderful table books about Hawaii as music streamed lightly in the background. This was a panel interview with two existing team members in the same position and a talent acquisition representative. Who better to interview you then the people in the actual position and know what is needed for the role. I felt at ease with the questions and comfortable speaking, this was a great interview.

Interview Questions

• (paraphrasing) Can you tell us about an experience where maybe another co-worker did something wrong or maybe you witnessed something? how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at King's Hawaiian (Torrance, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied via recruiter firm, Phone interview and face-to-face panel interview about 2 weeks apart. Interview was 2 hours long, first hour with the operation management followed by the HR and QA management, about 10 minutes left at the end of both left open for questions. Business Casual dress code. Interviewers were extremely friendly. Highly recommend studying history, values, job description applying for and Glassdoor reviews before interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider the difference between a leader and a manager, or is there one?   Answer Question

Warehouse Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakwood, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at King's Hawaiian (Oakwood, GA) in February 2016.

Interview

Typical interview process. Two on one face to face following STAR method. Meeting took place just off their production floor and followed with a tour of the facility.

Interview Questions

• Situational quesions; "Tell me about a time when..." and "How would you...".   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at King's Hawaiian (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

King's Hawaiian follows a very professional panel type interview process. I felt very comfortable and the panel of production leadership asked questions pertaining to the job and my experience. I felt the group was professional and the questions relevant and insightful. First there was a screening phone interview and then there was an invitation for an onsite interview. The building was new, clean and professional looking. Other candidates for this and other positions were being interviewed one after the other. The HR contact gave a bag of goodies after the interview process was complete. I was told that I would hear of the next step this following week. I felt the whole process was professional and I enjoyed the experience. I have not received an offer as of this moment. (the interview was yesterday).

Interview Questions

• The interview question pertained to knowledge of Quality, Lean and Six Sigma.   1 Answer

Maintenance Mechanic Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at King's Hawaiian (Torrance, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Interview process has seemed fairly standard: apply online, phone interview, in person interview. My experience has been very good. Everyone I've met and dealt with have been very friendly and professional. The process so far has been about 4 weeks; but it's been around the holidays so scheduling has been kind of wonky. Totally understandable. (For clarification: I'm posting my review the day of the interview so no offer as of yet.)

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were typical: What attracted you to King's, Why are you looking to leave your current position; but primarily were centered around the job I would be doing. Mechanical/Electrical experience, certifications, knowledge base, training, etc.   Answer Question