Kmart Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2017

1.8

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kmart (Macon, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied for customer service representative and got totally different job. Seems easy though so no complaints. Just never heard of the position of a hardlines Merchandiser. The HR seems really sweet and cool, we talked for so long in the interview it didn't even feel like an interview.

Hardlines Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Kmart.

Interview

He just had me come in and made jokes about my height "Did you play basketball, can you dunk, we can use you to reach for high things,etc" and then hired me.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Kmart (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online, then called the next day for a follow up. She called me for an interview 2 days later. Going inside I was asked to wait in what appears to be a employee's lunch room for about 15mins. She seems to be busy at the moment. I was then asked to move up stairs to be further interviewed. Asked like about 3 questions and I was hired after completing the drug test. The store I applied at is closing soon and they need employees to help, I needed retail experience to put on my resume.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kmart in January 2017.

Interview

Application was presented to me in 3 emailed phases with the last phase being an assessment which took approximately 40 minutes to complete. Company wasted my time by having me to complete their assessment test as there is no doubt in my mind that I aced the test. However, I do not have a lot of retail hands-on experience but their recruitment team knew that in the beginning and still asked me to take the exam. I have an Accounting Degree and an MBA with a lot of years of leadership experience and within a few hours of taking the exam, received a rejection letter back from K Mart stating that while they were impressed with many of my talents, they would not be moving forward with my candidacy. In other words, I was older than what they were looking for in an employee. I'm sorry, but with all due respect, I've seen the quality of managers that K Mart has and to receive a rejection so quickly after my application leads me to realize that one of their many problems contributing to both Sears and K Mart's lack of success, is their apparent refusal to hire experienced business men and women that could turn their company around, one store at a time. It's obviously way past time for the company to be taking a hard look at their guidelines for hiring employees.

Interview Questions

• The assessment consisted of questions pertaining to: 1) a lot of scheduling for training type of scenarios where you would have to determine how many classes you could schedule and how many you would have to postpone until you received more employee interest 2) conflict scenario resolution scenarios 3) reading graphs to determine percentages of budgeted expenses as they related to budgeted sales 4) some math related percentage type questions 4) your reactions to various employee related discipline scenarios   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prince Frederick, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kmart (Prince Frederick, MD) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online when the position was available. I received a phone call interview for the job, but I was denied for it because someone else had more experience than me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Pleasant, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Kmart (Mount Pleasant, PA).

Interview

I applied online and was called for an interview within the week. I was offered a job during the interview. After considering it, I declined. The pay was minimum wage and just not what I was looking for. When I called to turn the offer down, the lady was upset and abruptly hung up.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kmart (North Miami, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

I first applied online to fill out an application through their career candidate site and completed a 30-minute job assessment after finding out a Kmart store in Biscayne Blvd, North Miami, FL was hiring additional helpers for their seasonal superstar program. After I submitted the application with my resume and cover letter attached, I received an email from their talent acquisition team detailing I have to wait 2 weeks for them to respond back. I waited 2 weeks and checked my candidate profile to see if my application was still assessing. Then, on 11/21/16, I was planning on calling them until I was notified by their store manager David from a voicemail message I picked up to call him back so he can schedule an interview for me before 1:00 PM. I called the store number he left on his voicemail and a store associate connected me to David's phone, I waited for up to 5 minutes but I didn't hear respond. So I just walked straight to the store and talked to the store associate registered at the customer service center to direct me towards the backroom office after I told her I was a job applicant and have an interview with the store manager. The interview was very brief; he asked me a couple questions related to my resume like where do I currently live and how much experience I had from my previous job. He seemed kind of busy but was courteously polite during the interview. He also said if I was also interested in working as a stock associate in case I didn't get the seasonal cashier position I applied for which I agreed because I needed a entry level retail job and hopefully worked there long enough to move on to full-time status. He said I would receive an email response back or call me after I gave him my contact number. Unfortunately, it seems I wasn't who they were looking for when I received another email the following day saying they have decided to pursue other more qualifying candidates.

Interview Questions

• Do you possess previous experience as a cashier?   1 Answer
    • What time can you come in?   1 Answer

Backroom Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kmart (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and completed the assessment. The same night I was called for an interview in the evening. The HR TEAM member was great. She made me feel comfortable and really guided me along what to expect during my tenure.

Interview Questions

• Why do I wanna work at Kmart   1 Answer

Pharmacy District Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kmart in November 2016.

Interview

Barely made it to speak with the recruiter. Recruiter reached out and I emailed my availability and never heard back. Then I contacted higher ups and two weeks later was given a pity last minute screen. The higher ups were at least courteous and professional to help with the situation. Screen completed and never heard back. Which is to be expected in this day of no care or professionalism.

Interview Questions

• General experience as this was a screen to go to the next interview.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Kmart (Burlington, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Met 3 times, each time was with a higher level of the organization. Each interview seemed like a copy of the first just with higher levels of mgt there.

Interview Questions

• Theywanted to know how I manage   1 Answer