Kmart Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Kmart Store Manager Interview Questions

2.1

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kmart (Hagerstown, MD) in February 2017.

Interview

applied on line, phone interview, in person interview. Process was easy but too long, face to face interview person was rude and not very knowledgeable. Interview was held in the office at he store which was very unorganized and dirty. Get being interrupted by phone and people knocking on the door.

Interview Questions

• Why did I wanna work for the company   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Kmart

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Kmart (Burlington, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Met 3 times, each time was with a higher level of the organization. Each interview seemed like a copy of the first just with higher levels of mgt there.

Interview Questions

• Theywanted to know how I manage   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kmart (Kirkland, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with DM and operations, Then 1:1 DM interview, Then 1:1 Operations Manager interview, Then phone interview with Regional VP. If you talk to a couple current managers before the interview you will get a good pulse on how to answer the questions. The company still operates on the 80's style of management. Very high standards with an emphasis on accountability of associates. Very, very operational driven company.

Interview Questions

• Everyone asked that same basic questions: #1 How did you execute operations? This could be from shipment processing to completing layouts. #2 How did you hold your people accountable   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kmart (Roanoke, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

Very Easy. Face to face with DM. Phone interview with Regional HR and Regional VP. Not asked many questions. Most of the interview was spent chatting. Walked store with DM and gave him feedback store.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kmart (Hoffman Estates, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online, within 2 weeks had a phone interview with Recruiter, basic questions, week later in person interview with a current store manager , discussed situation questions, week later face to face interview with District Manager, asked scripted situation questions, the 30 minutes of general questions about views on running a store, very casual and educational to both sides. District Manager said "He was ready to hire me but company required a 4th "Panel" interview with 3 corporate people. Recruiter emailed me details of 4th interview, Panel interview, approximately 3 interviews at 45 minutes each with Vice president of operations, merchandising, and HR. Went to interview at their corporate office and had a 20 minute interview with the VP of Operations and with a District Manager that just happened to be there for a meeting earlier. The few questions he asked were focused on the past locations I had worked and if there was a Kmart near that location. I said I was looking for career growth and he made that into a negative saying " You may be waiting a long time with this company."?? No Panel interview, no experience or job related questions? They said they would contact me by the end of the week to notify me if I was hired or not, they must of forgotten or were busy making the long list of what stores they were going to close in the next couple months. It's ashamed the first 3 interviews were informing and both parties shared information about each other but the 4th interview was a waste of both parties time. Obliviously Corporate wasn't interested in hiring good, qualified people.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kmart.

Interview

Applied online through Indeed.com. There is two tests during the application process first test is about P&L, second test is personality. First contacted by email by a senior recruiter to set up an interview by phone. Scheduled interview for that week. Questions were situational based, really wanted to ensure ability to hold people accountable. Next, I received an email that I would be interviewing with the store manager and to contact the recruiter for a date and time. Showed up to the local store before time too take a look around, must have stuck out because the store manager approached me and asked if I had an interview, I said I did. I was taken back and asked 8 general situational questions. Remember they are looking for "retail" situations- so if you have this experience it will help. Then, I was told there as a business case study to do but that would be later. Next, I met the District Manager who was in another office. His questions were more "off the cuff." He asked directions to the last retailer I had worked for, how I handle stress, why I left my last job, would I be willing to relocated, and asked about my family, etc. Not very scripted, but I think it was to throw me off guard. Next, I was given the "business case study." Basically, you have a store that is under performing in some areas and exceeding goals in other areas. There is a P&L and some other metrics (about 4-5 sheets.) You are given 25 minutes to come up with a business plan in order get the store on the right track. During the case study process the store manager received a call from HR wanting to talk to me. He told them that he would give me the message. After passing the case study I called HR. This was the final interview. She asked me three questions: why did I want this position, was I willing to relocated, and why should I get this job. Afterwards, I asked the next steps, she said the recruiter would contact me. That afternoon I received a phone call that I got the job. Then there was a background check and drug test. I passed and received my offer letter, my offer was in the upper $60k.

Interview Questions

• Willing to relocate? How do you hold other accountable after talking to them and action still has not been taken? Business case study.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Kmart (Detroit, MI).

Interview

hr manager, asst manager , store manager speak to all three at the end of the inteview all 3 people would talk and a decision was made if this was a good fit for the store,

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Kmart (Greensboro, NC).

Interview

phone interview with recruiter, then set up to interview with District Manager. Took about a month to get offer and it was not anything like what had been discussed in both interviews. The training was a joke, You are trained immediately to be able to do the employees work so the store can use you because payroll is so tight they don't have any help. You don't get to learn a lot about your job in being a manager.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my background, situational type questions, relocation questions. Typical questions, nothing difficult. Asked me the salary range I was expecting and stated the salary range to me which matched, when offered the job the salary was much less and not in the range at all.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Many Managers are leaving the company so you would most likely be able to be hired easily, however I would not recommend this company to anyone. I had no choice but to accept the position and that's the only reason to accept a position with this company.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Kmart (Tampa, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

There are many steps in the interview process and the process is very slow. Once you do get through all the hoops and you are made an offer the training program is great but you could be waiting for the next class to start.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions are used during all levels of interview. Sometimes you will be asked to walk the sales floor and talk about things you see. Be careful here this can come back to bite you if you down the store too much.   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Kmart.

Interview

Met with DM and DLPM over a beer, both were clueless. After being hired, I found out they were hiring military in as store managers. After 6 months, all of them quit

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Told them my salary, vacation time and what store I wanted. They do not do this anymore.