Knewton Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Knewton Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Knewton

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Knewton in September 2014.

Interview

Talked to some employees at a career fair. They liked me and gave me a USB with a coding challenge on it. Completed it in 2 or 3 hours and then forwarded it to the team. They answered back asking for my resume. When I sent that to them I then experienced radio silence. When I reached out to HR and recruiting to check up on the process I never received an answer

Interview Questions

• Coding challenge consisted of a list of user band likes and finding bands that appear on users its together more than N amount of times.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Knewton

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Knewton (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

The hiring process is pretty straightforward:
    - Write a program on your own time to solve the problem they provide. Choose your favorite language and provide them with the code and instructions how to compile/run it.
    - Have a phone interview with an engineer. The interview is pretty technical, so prepare to write code on a shared editor. Also prepare to answer general questions about your resume and your interests (software related).
    - Onsite interview has 4-5 different interviews. Mine had 5. The questions ranged from method implementations to problem solving to system design.

Be prepared to answer questions on the whole spectrum of software development. Your are expected at one time or another to work on all those parts, which is the fun part about joining a company like Knewton.

Overall the experience was very pleasant. The people I interviewed with were very nice, and I enjoyed the atmosphere and the culture there.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied online and they contacted me through e-mail by assigning me a coding challenge.

Interview Questions

• None, just a simple coding challenge and I was given the weekend.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Knewton.

Interview

Submitted a resume via their website; someone replied pretty quickly (within 1-2 days). After a phone chat with HR, was given a take-home problem. After that, I went through a phone interview. Then a 4-hour in-person interview (2 technical interviews, and 2 interviews for fit). I came in once more to discuss final fit and salary/benefits.

Interview Questions

• Thinking about space/time complexity was not something I needed to do at my previous job, so found myself having to really think things through during the technical interviews.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Knewton in November 2014.

Interview

I handed my resume to a recruiter at school's CS/tech job fair, and was contacted about a month and a half later. I was set up with an initial HR phone call (I don't think it was a screen, just a call), and then given a coding challenge a couple days later, which had a very flexible deadline.

Interview Questions

• The coding question takes 1-5 hours, depending on which language you decide to use (aka which program speed / implementation time tradeoffs you want to make).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Knewton (New York, NY).

Interview

Brief phone interview, hour remote technical interview, half day of (mostly technical) interviews at their office. It felt suspiciously easy. I would be wary of them using you for interview practice. That is the best explanation I can think of given that (1) they had a practice interviewer for an hour, and (2) their purported reason for not making an offer was that I did not have a specific technical skill, of which there was no mention until then. Other explanations are possible, but I would make sure to ask if there are any specific technical skills required. On the other hand, everyone I interviewed with seemed intelligent and nice. I think they would be enjoyable to work with. The experience was enjoyable, in a sense, but felt like a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Describe the infrastructure you would need for a highly trafficked web application.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Knewton (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and took around 3 weeks before I got an email from the HR for an initial interview. She asked me behavioral questions. I think it went well because they sent me a take home test. All the people seem to get the same test. I solved it and sent it back the same day. I was told they would get my test checked and reply within couple of weeks. No reply came, even after 3-4 follow ups over a period of a month.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Knewton (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

It began with a brief screening/get to know you, and then a typical 45 minute technical phone interview. The process was very positive - the recruiter was extremely helpful and nice. The interviewer also made the phone call much more comfortable by talking through the problems.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

first round - in person, was asked to do some simple list manipulation and implement the sieve of eratosthenes on paper
    coding challenge - received a text file with favorite artists of 1000 LastFM users, told to write a program to find pairs of artists appearing in >50 users
    phone interview - on collabedit: Kadane's algorithm, list flattening
    in person - 5 hours, lots of whiteboarding

Interview Questions

• We pick two numbers a and b, so that 99 ≥ a ≥ b ≥ 2. We tell Mr. P. the product a × b and Mr. S. the sum a + b. Then Mr. S. and Mr. P. engage in the following dialog:

Mr. P.: I don’t know the numbers.

Mr. S.: I knew you didn’t know. I don’t know either.

Mr. P.: Now I know the numbers.

Mr. S.: Now I know them too.

Find the numbers a and b.   1 Answer