Knight Capital Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

3.2

21 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales & Trading Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Knight Capital (Jersey City, NJ) in November 2015.

Interview

Started with a phone call, then was flown into the Jersey City office for a "Super Day" which consisted of 5 individual interviews. They understand this was a position for undergrads so there were minimal technical questions. Mostly just got to know a few of the guys.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Knight Capital (Jersey City, NJ) in June 2013.

Interview

Contacted by HR.

Scheduled the interview.

Met with 4 associates, and 1 director.

Heard back in one week.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Knight Capital (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

phone screen.
    How hashmap works.
    difference between interface and abstract class.
    walk through linked list, using double pointer.

Quantitative Strategist Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Knight Capital (Jersey City, NJ) in April 2013.

Interview

Written test/ 3 1-hour-long phone interviews / On-site interview.

Written test was not that hard and the rest of interviews are pretty similar to other hedge funds. They will ask Probability, Programming Questions

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Knight Capital (Jersey City, NJ) in August 2012.

Interview

Two technical phone interviews then in-person interview. On the first phone interview, interviewer asked about randomly positioned points on a circle, then to step through an analysis of Buffon's Needle. On the second phone interview, interviewer asked about a gambling game which was sort-of inverse Prisoner's Dilemma with repeated playings

Interview Questions

• Buffon's needle. I was familiar with it and still had a lot of trouble walking through the analysis.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Knight Capital (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

Two interviews. First one with their recruiter, talked about some general things and why I'm interested in finance. The second one was an all-round phone interview with algorithms, coding and probability questions. In the end they did not think I fit the position well.I did not have the calculator handy to calculate the expected reward exactly (see below).

Interview Questions

• How much would you pay to play this game? You have a fair coin. You get heads you win $1 and can continue to play. You get tails, you collect your winnings ans stop the game.

Second question. Now what if the winnings double each time you get heads.   3 Answers

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Knight Capital (Jersey City, NJ) in May 2012.

Interview

30 minutes technical interview over phone. Followed by face to face interview met with 4 people. Followed by another face to face interview with Sr Management, chief technology officer and Human Resource personnel,

Trading Operationist Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Knight Capital (Jersey City, NJ) in January 2012.

Interview

The interviewer was very nice, giving me suggestions and hints.

however it seems we miscommunicated before hand, and i originally was applying for the software engineer intern yet ended in the trading operationist position, which resulted in my expected tragedy...

i was asked various questions on math, like hidden markov model, probability, combinatorics,

and then i guess out of kindness the interviewer figuratively asked me some VERY simple coding questions...

then the interview ended.

Interview Questions

• how to reduce the number of states in a hidden markov model? (actually i dunno what this question means...)   Answer Question
    • given a dice, you can throw it at most thrice unti you feel satisfied with the number. design a strategy so that the expected value of the last throw is biggest. (a relatively easy question)   1 Answer
    • pros and cons of hashtable (very easy, the purpose of this question is only to let me feel not that embarrased)   1 Answer
    • unix shell commands like grep diff (very easy, the purpose of this question is only to let me feel not that embarrased)   Answer Question
    • also there are some EXTRA HARD math problems that i can't even remember now....   Answer Question

Electronic Trading Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Knight Capital (Jersey City, NJ) in January 2012.

Interview

Interview consisted of several 1:1 interviews on-site. Questions were standard mix of quantitative and non-quantitative. They seemed smart but the interview process was not handled professionally. There was no receptionist and I was not provided information about where in the office to physically meet the interviewer so I had to ask several people around the office. There was a considerable amount of time spent waiting between interviews in a conference room due to poor scheduling and I spent at least 1.5 hours in aggregate waiting between interviews, being told every 30 minutes that the next interview would being shortly. The final interviewer briefly apologized but I was very disappointed with the lack of professionalism.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Knight Capital (Jersey City, NJ) in December 2011.

Interview

Went on this interview through a recruiter. I arrived 10 minutes prior, asked for the hiring manager who they seem to have trouble reaching. Finally they told me to take the elevator up arrived at the IT but door was locked. Someone was nice enough to let me in. No sign of hiring manager. 5 minutes later, he comes and gets me. It did not seem like they interview people much since they did not have a conference room or office available to interview. We finally ended up in an office that was like Arizona in the middle of the Summer. The hiring manager asked about experience and asked some technical questions. From the questions, it was clear that they were using J2EE circa 2001... going from JSP/Servlets to Struts 1.x. From there is was clear this job not for me. A lead developer came in looking sloppy, miserable and gave me a dead fish handshake. This was my first interview in quite some time and used it to bone up on interviewing skills otherwise would have walked out.