Kroger Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2017

2.6

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagle River, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Kroger (Eagle River, WI) in April 2017.

Interview

First interview took 3 hours with the Interviewer. I'm guessing the interview wouldn't have taken so long had we not had interruptions from another employee and a market level merchant. Now take in mind. I'm 42 and a seasoned retail professional looking for a new career path. The first half hour of the interview was asking me about high school and college. Come on man, I graduated high school 25 years ago and college 20. I'm pretty certain I have more life experience then any experience I had in school. We then moved on to my last 3 jobs, which spanned a lot of year and he stopped asking after discussing my most recent 10 year career with another company. After asking about the last jobs, responsibilities, supervisors, good and bad about those jobs blah blah blah, we then moved on to competency based questions. A walk in the park actually. Once we were done, he finally gave me a chance to ask question and discuss the roles of the position. Now, don't get me wrong, different companies do things differently and I've only been involved with hiring store managers, assistant managers in big box retail but the one thing I learned years ago was to discuss the position and roles/responsibilities and open up questions to the candidate before wasting all their time. In the 170th minute of the interview, I was informed that the position would work every Sunday(opening shift) and 4 closing shifts every week. If I had know this from the beginning, we would have never had to talk about my high school days and we could have saved both of us many hours if possible productivity. However, I don't know how productive this particular store is because it is a train wreck. Anyway, I felt that the interviewer wasted my afternoon so I felt I would return the favor and let him set up a second interview with a market level leader. This was set up about a week later and after they rescheduled 3 times, I finally met the center store manager for the district. I apologized for wasting his time but thanked him for it at the same time. I explained everything above and saw myself out of the store.

Interview Questions

• I felt as if the first 1/2 of my interview, I was a high school or college kid looking for a part time job.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Kroger

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Navarre, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kroger (Navarre, FL) in December 2016.

Interview

Went through 4 seperate interviews almost a week apart each time. First interview, he thought I would be good for a different position, sent me out of town to meet with someone and she didnt even have a position available. Third interview with area supervisor went well but fourth interview was more than 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Why did i leave my current job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kroger (Nashville, TN) in November 2016.

Interview

One phone interview with the division recruiter, then one interview in person with same recruiter, then one interview in person with district HR manager. The overall process took around 3-4 weeks, then another week or so before I received a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were placed in charge of a change or rollout in policy.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kroger (Detroit, MI).

Interview

job fair at college, recruiter contacted me a week later to set up an interview. Arrived at the interview and found out it was a panel of various management personnel. very intimidating.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Middletown, KY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kroger (Middletown, KY) in October 2013.

Interview

I walked in the door looking for a position since I was new in the area and needed something quickly. That day I was able meet with human resources and fill out paperwork before going home to fill out the online application to make things official. The woman in HR told me that with my background I looked more than qualified and that combined with personality, I was the right one to replace the existing manager that was leaving. The next day she scheduled me to begin training.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, there was nothing.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Kroger does not negotiate regarding new hires for in-store positions. Once you are hired, the financial end can be adjusted based upon your background of three or more years experience in a related field and performance in the first two weeks.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kroger in April 2013.

Interview

Not very difficult. They need bodies. Applied online and was called back. Spoke with Human Resources then interviewed by store manager who then sent me to the deli manager who asked me about my current school situation and my flexibility.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to come in to work with little notice?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Kroger (Nashville, TN) in October 2012.

Interview

I initially applied online for the assistant manager/manager in training position from careerbuilder.com. They then contacted me via phone from the secretary of the mid-south headquarters. I talked with her to schedule an interview. The interview was with the district coordinator. He explained the position and salary plus a detailed view of advancement opportunities and training schedule. He has a list of questions he went down one by one dealing with past situations and how much I was still interested in the position. They contacted me within a week for the follow-up interview. It is a panel interview with a regional coordinator asking the questions and running it. He is joined by the grocery district coordinator and two store managers who join in with bonus questions and comments. These questions are much more difficult about very specific examples with your past company. From tough questions about decisions and how you made an unpopular decision plus easier questions. It was very fair and well done great evaluation for the position I believe.

Interview Questions

• Explain a past unpopular decision you had to make and how you dealt with the effects of that decision.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kroger (Wichita, KS) in November 2011.

Interview

The first thing you need to do is feel out an application located by the registers. You will then get a skills test with aninterview directly afterwards. If that is passed a ua must be taken. Very simple process.

Interview Questions

• Why I felt like I could be better than the next person? I hate putting myself above others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kroger (Dayton, OH) in June 2010.

Interview

Long interview process. Had 3 or more interviews with different HR people before testing (math) and offered position via mail.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

n/a. they offered and i accepted