L.E.K. Consulting Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

L.E.K. Consulting Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at L.E.K. Consulting

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Boston, MA).

Interview

Interview consisted of a half hour behavioral interview followed by a half hour case interview.

Interview Questions

• The case interview is difficult. Be prepared to do long multiplication/division by hand   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for L.E.K. Consulting

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting.

Interview

Applied through university recruiting and received first round interview. Interview consisted of two back-to-back one-on-one interviews, both had a case (quant/qualitative) and a few fit questions. Very friendly interviewers, and gave feedback right after the case.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

A few weeks after I apply online, the recruiter reached me by email. Then is the 2 back-to-back case interview on phone, one from SF, and one from LA. The cases are quite easy, one qualitative market entry and one quantatitive market-sizing. I got excellent feedback from the interviewer but never heard back from them again. I wrote to recruiter and finally after 2 weeks I got rejection letters. Quite depressing. Anyway, the interviewers are quite welcoming and friendly.

Interview Questions

• questions are quite simple. Typical as expected. market sizing of a chain store product.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

Basic consulting interview. Tell me about yourself followed by case study. Two back to back interviews. First case was very open ended. Did not seem like there was a specific answer the interviewer was looking for. Second case was total opposite. Very detailed with lots of data. Interviewer tried to lead me in a specific direction.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview. Two 30-minute case studies with two different interviewers. One quantitative and one qualitative. Friendly interviewers who were easy to talk to and were helpful in the process. Enjoyed the cases I did.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Chicago, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

Far and beyond the most professional firm I interacted with. The whole process from beginning to end was done impeccably.

I come from a midwestern non-target school and got my interview accidentally. I connected with a former VP, who enjoyed our conversation and subsequently my resume and passed it on to a current VP, who then connected me with the Managing Recruiter.

A few months later, I had a phone call with an Associate and then a Senior Associate in a back-to-back 30-minute interview (general questions with market sizing, then case interview). I heard back within 2 hours that I was invited to their Chicago office for the final round in 2-3 weeks.

L.E.K. paid for all travel (airfare, taxis, hotel, etc.) and was very courteous in checking up prior to the interview to ensure that all affairs had been taken care of.

The final round interview was 3, back-to-back-to-back interviews (market sizing, then strategy case, then brain teaser, with questions about my resume mixed in to all of them) with a Manager, Senior Manager, and then the Managing Director. There were 3 candidates at the time and we rotated between the L.E.K. staff, so the order is by no means guaranteed.

Final round was on Friday and I heard Monday that I did not get the position. Nonetheless, I respect L.E.K. more than any firm for their professionalism and the manner in which they conducted themselves. I strongly recommend everyone consider seriously working there. Great firm, great people, and great career trajectory.

Interview Questions

• First Round, Interviewer: Associate

Type: Basic math and market sizing

1. If you had a 3.3 GPA your first two years and a 3.6 your third year, what GPA would you need to get in your final year to achieve a 3.5 cumulative GPA?

2. How many waffles are consumed in hotels in the US on an annual basis?   1 Answer
    • First Round, Interviewer: Senior Associate

Type: Strategy case

1. Our client is a manufacturer of flower pots and has seen negative profitability. Why is this, and what can we do about it?   1 Answer
    • Final Round, Interviewer: Manager

Type: Market sizing

1. Some houses don't have access to traditional electricity and rely on propane. Our client manufactures the valves on these propane tanks, which are different from the smaller propane tanks you'd use to grill. How large is our client's estimated revenue?   1 Answer
    • Final Round, Interviewer: Senior Manager

Type: Strategy case

1. (Set in 2007, prior to bag checking) Our client is a leading airline that is considering checking bags. Should we do it?   1 Answer
    • Final Round, Interviewer: Managing Director

Type: Brain teaser

1. We have a black box, approximately 50% bigger than a shoebox, that, when we switch it on, produces 10 gallons of fuel every hour, perpetually (aka infinite supply of fuel at limited rate). Who should we sell it to ad for how much?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (San Francisco, CA) in September 2018.

Interview

Phone screen (2x - Rushed, and not that pleasant. Make sure you come to a clear number and recommendation. Try to convey your personality... it's is hard, but getting a laugh in makes a huge difference.
    Interview in person: 3x 30 min back to back. Shuttled around by a coordinator.

Interview Questions

• 1. What is the market size (rev) of an EHR system? Strategies to increase that revenue?
      2. Breakeven units and time to breakeven of a launching sequel video game.
      Another practice Case LEK Question: How many professional tuners are there in SF?

On-site (email invitation the next morning) - 3x30 min w/Partner/Manager/Engagement Manager, (all mine went a little over 30 min)
      Be prepared to talk about yourself, and why LEK.
      1. Market sizing - how many automobile tires are sold in the US? (It seemed like the interviewer just pulled up the question and decided to do it with me. I think he had reviewed it before though, since he asked me to reconsider certain areas. Felt like interviewer was really engaged.)
      2. Quant: Interviewer-led, do the calcs they as you to do (Interviewer was also very engaged)
      3. Business logic: how would you advise a company enter the live football (US) game in the Latin America? they are thinking of 3 different countries: Mexico, Brazil and Chile. (Kept challenging my logic, which was nerve racking, but don't so it and move on.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Boston, MA) in June 2007.

Interview

Employee referral led to in-office visit, although I had to contact the HR person a few times first. Interviewed with 2 consultants, both PhDs in life science. 45 mins each, behavioral and cases, with the cases coming from actual projects they had worked on. LEK emphasizes quantitative analysis and the cases probe on that, but they were not too difficult. Behavioral part focuses on why LEK and how you'll fit. 2nd round was the following week with 1 manager and 2 partners. All were behavioral and cases, with more emphasis on fit. Overall, the interviewers were sharp and friendly. The work culture was focused and hard-working, everybody is pretty busy during the working day.

Interview Questions

• What's the potential patient population for an ocular degeneration therapy?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not able to negotiate. Company usually starts people off in specific salary bands, with better compensation as you progress

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting in October 2009.

Interview

The on-campus interview included two different interviews. Both had cases and generally they spent 10 or 15 minutes on behavioral and the rest of the time on cases. One case was very quantitative, the other was very much grounded in strategy and didn't really involve numbers. Everyone seemed really nice and willing to help!

Interview Questions

• What is the amount of breast pumps a biomedical firm can expect to sell in a year?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2007.

Interview

Initial communications made at the career fair and "consulting night" on campus. After that, it consisted of applying for the position through the on-campus website. After being selected, there were two case interviews for the first round, which was held on-campus. These are each 30 minutes long, with each containing about a 15-20 minute case interview, one is more quant (market sizing), the other is more strategy focused. After that, there was a similar set of interviews during the 2nd round, located at the LEK office in Los Angeles. Here, there are 4 interviews, at least 2 cases, and 1-2 "fit" interviews, typically with engagement managers and VPs (partners)

Interview Questions

• What specific moment or event or experience in your life gave you the clarity that consulting is what you're bound to do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little room to negotiate. L.E.K. and consulting firms in general all have very comparable offers for the Consultant position. I was, however, able to negotiate my start date, and it seemed as though there was ~flexibility up to 3 months in either direction