L'Oréal Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 7, 2017

3.1

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at L'Oréal (Redmond, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Started with a phone screen with external recruiter, followed by a phone interview with the hiring/engineering manager. Final phone interview was with both a second engineering manager and the engineering director. One face to face interview for a half day with 3 engineers, 2 engineering managers, and the engineering director, plus HR for you to ask any HR related questions.

I was applying from out of state, during the entire process they continued to remind me there was no budget for relocation, which I was ok with given a reasonable offer. Before each phone interview this was brought up. When it was time for a face-to-face interview, they were reluctant to fly me out there -they wanted to be certain I would accept an offer if one was given. Without an offer on the table, I couldn't make that promise. Luckily, I was able to make arrangements so it wouldn't cost them anything for me to come out there -but it required vacation time and money on my part. After the interview, that I thought went generally well, I was told they decided they wanted to pursue candidates with less experience and lower salary requirements (which I made clear from the first phone screen).

I'm not bitter because I didn't get an offer. I accepted a more interesting opportunity elsewhere in the Seattle area -so offer or not I probably wouldn't have ended up working here. But I am pretty annoyed that during the entire process they continually wanted to make sure I was serious about working there, when in the end (after time and money out of my pocket), they apparently had no idea what kind of candidate they wanted to hire.

Interview Questions

• Almost all questions revolved around your experience with the requirements of the job. Troubleshooting, documentation, working with suppliers, what technical software you have used in the past.   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at L'Oréal in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. She told me she was a temp. Then I had a few more calls and 2 phone interviews. 1st was with her. The 2nd was with the sales coordinator, manager and recruiter. I thought it went well but no call back. About a month later I received a rejection email. I figured since there was never any face to face.

Interview Questions

• What my favorite L'Oréal Brand was.   1 Answer
    • Could I work overtime?   1 Answer

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at L'Oréal.

Interview

I was fortunate enough to receive a message via LinkedIn describing an opportunity that would be the best next step in my career path. Within a week of initiative communication, I had a 30-minute phone interview with the head of recruitment. He asked brilliant questions-- surprisingly focused on where I see myself in the future and how/if this position be a good fit. Of course, I was excited to learn more. The initiative interview took some time(about 2-3weeks) to set up but the ball started to roll from there. I met the team's director and AVP of HR. It went pleasantly well, in fact most the interviews went well over the allotted time. Note: if you are knowledgable and passionate about your area of expertise, the interviewing process is way less intimidating that you'd imagine.

The next week, I was asked to come back and chat with AVP of marketing and director of talent acquisition. The questions were less granular and more about the overarching goals of the marketing team as a whole. This focused more on the DNA of the team and what skills (both personal and professional) would be a great fit for the team. There was also a focus on forecasting social trends to gauge how forward-thinking I was.

Just when I thought the interviewing process was over, I was invited to meet with the Vice President. While this was a bit nerve racking, it was certainly promising. By the end of the next week, I received an offer via phone call by the same recruiter that reached out to me via LinkedIn. I will be starting soon and couldn't be happier with the interviewing process and the many people I met thus far.

Interview Questions

• What new social media platform(s) do you predict will change the game in the next few years?   1 Answer
    • Describe a challenging moment in social media management and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • Do you have experience with blogger relations/ partnerships and to what extent?   Answer Question
    • What tools and platforms are you currently using for social media listening and campaign tracking?   Answer Question
    • Describe a campaign/ social media program that you are most proud of?   Answer Question
    • How do you measure social media success?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The package extended my expectations. I negotiated vacation days without a problem.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at L'Oréal.

Interview

After working with an external recruiter, L'Oreal's internal recruiting department interviewed me twice (informational) before I interviewed with an HR manager (informal, "review your resume")--this first stage of the process took a total of two weeks. After my interview with HR, the balance of the process unfolded over two weeks. I interviewed once on the phone with my future manager (situational and behavioral interview), and met with her again, more informally, in person over coffee. Final round interview was a day of conversations in the New York City office, where I met with division vice presidents. Nothing about the interview process was off-putting. There are no trick questions--the company just wants to make sure you're talented, experienced, and ready for progression. They hire with your next two-to-three roles in mind. The process was thorough and fantastic.

Interview Questions

• Situational: Describe how you would approach managing down a large amount of inventory.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Internal pay structure is relatively straightforward at the manager level--not much room for negotiation.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at L'Oréal (Miami, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

Taste of L'Oreal---personality portion, analysis of case, lunch with executives. They watch you the majority of the time, even while you prep for the presentation (I believe to gauge your leadership capabilities). Funnily enough I performed a rap on my personality portion because the activity was titled creativity assessment. Worked for me because I got the interview.
    Interview--- 2/3 on 1

Senior CHEMIST Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at L'Oréal (Clark, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from HR asking for a phone interview two days later. I then was turned down for the job. After one week I was told that i was no longer being pursued for the position. Two weeks later a talent recruiter called me and asked if I would be interested in a different position. I said yes and was then had another phone interview with HR two days later. The next week I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. Two weeks after that I had a skype interview with another person, and two days later I was flown out to New Jersey to interview with six other persons (hiring manager, assistant vice president, managers from two other similar teams, and two HR persons). Three weeks after the interview I received a phone call from HR saying that I was offered the job. The next day I received a welcome packet in the mail.
    Throughout the entire process, the HR team kept me informed of where I was at in the interview process. I would say that the overall process was long, but was much more organized and helpful than many other companies. The talent acquisition team at L'Oreal appear to know how to attract and run a good recruiting program.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a big mistake at work, and then discuss how you handled it. What were the results of your efforts to correct it?   1 Answer
    • Give me an example of how you employed a creative solution to a problem or project where traditional methods did not initially work? Were you successful?   1 Answer
    • Describe in basic terminology how oxidation color chemistry is different from free dye chemistry.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Wasn't too terribly difficult. They offered me something in the range of what I wanted, and I accepted.

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at L'Oréal (Clark, NJ).

Interview

I applied online and was contact by email for an HR person. The next week I had 5 interviews at the same day, with HR and technical team people. I had an answer 2 weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• Why I would like to L'Oreal. Why I though I was a good candidate. My background, etc.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clark, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at L'Oréal (Clark, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

interviewed with numerous people after a basic phone screening. Met with a panel where they all asked me basic interview questions. Liked that I had project management experience. Internships are project based so this was definitely a plus.

Brand Sales Educator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at L'Oréal (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I was emailed about a phone interview and told to choose a time. So I did and recruiter confirmed. She never called the later I got a email to reschedule.

Interview Questions

• They asked what made me want the job.   1 Answer

They never called back

Director, Global Digital Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at L'Oréal (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I was approached by their recruiter via LinkedIn and interviewed first via phone.

I then had a subsequent interview with the HR's head for the group as well as the Divisional Brand President, the VP of Marketing and their digital senior leader who worked across various brands.

The process began very friendly, however the exchange with my prospective boss seemed short and a bit rude. Additionally, I was told that the brand was the worst performing with no near-term plans to grow staff (in effect managing no one) and that management was looking forward to lessening their interaction with a key digital stakeholder because of how disrespectful said person could be. "You can deal with it," I was told through laughter. To say I was turned off was an understatement.

The experience's crescendo came as we spoke about compensation. After hearing comments about the ability to be a punching bag, the fight that happened to achieve head count (which was taken from another department), I politely explained that for the level of work expected with no team support would require a higher compensation. In effect, I was a Marketing Coordinator, Manager and Director.

They informed me later that this was not possible which I understood and politely declined the offer. I mentioned during the HR exchange that maybe we could work together in the future. I was taken aback when HR said, "Frankly no. We won't revisit you in the future." I found it quite unprofessional and illustrative of the recruiter's anger towards me for not taking a role which did not align with where I was in my career path. Will never forget that interview!

Interview Questions

• This person has to be able to be a punching bag. Are you able to get up and stand again?   Answer Question