L3 Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

2.6

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Greenville, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Application Process: I spoke with recruiters at a college career fair where I gave them my resume. I was called by HR a week later to invite me to a college hiring blitz and networking dinner in Greenville, TX.

Interview: The night before the interview, about 12 co-op and new grad candidates attended a networking dinner paid for by an L-3 representative. The representative discussed the culture and answered basic questions about the processes and where to go the following day for the hiring blitz. The representative told us they do about 6 college hiring events a semester, which based upon my personal experience, were students invited from my college career fair, so we were mostly from the same university or general area. Our group was placed in the same hotel in Greenville, close to the interview site.

Day of the interview, there were about 20 or so candidates (a mix of co-op and new grads) and we were sat in a conference room where they first showed a couple of videos talking about what they do and a vague description of the projects they work on there. HR also went over the benefits they provide co-op and full time employees. They gave us a small breakfast during it.

After a 15 minute break we had two 30-minute interviews back to back. For my first interview, I had two managers from separate departments who worked on different projects. It was a back and forth question kind of thing. I was asked more behavioral technical questions, some of which were tricky.

In the second interview, I was interviewed again by two other managers from two completely different departments. This time I was asked mostly about my resume and to describe some of the projects I worked on. This interview was more laid back.

Then we took another break and after that, they gave us a demonstration of a couple of projects. These two demos were more software based. When we came back from the demos, they served us lunch.

After lunch, we had our third 30-minute interview. This time I had one manager and was asked mostly about my projects and my resume. Also, there were a couple of CS questions about OO design.

After that interview, they took us on a tour of the facility. We got to see them working on some airplanes and then went back to another lab to watch two more demonstrations. These were more hardware based. The tour took about an hour.

They took us back to the conference room for our last 30 minute interview. I had one manager and I was asked again about OO design, my projects, and this time I had more behavioral questions.

After the last interview, they wrap up the day and let you go home. Overall, we were there from 7:45am to 3pm for the whole process.

I received an offer, but I declined it because I didn't feel like it was a great fit for me there. Also, the salary offered to me was lower than other offers I received from other companies as well as the average salary listed on this site for that position.

Interview Questions

• What are the principles of object oriented design? How would you describe object oriented? What’s encapsulation, inheritance, polymorphism, and aggregation?   Answer Question
    • What’s a protected variable?   Answer Question
    • What language do you prefer to code in (feel more comfortable coding in)?   Answer Question
    • If you could code any piece of software, what would that program do and why?   Answer Question
    • How you would describe multi-threaded programming?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about figuring out how to receive data from a device if you had no documentation on how to do so?   Answer Question
    • Describe interprocess communication.   Answer Question
    • How do you go about testing your code? Do you use a debugger and if so, how do you use it?   Answer Question
    • Rank these in order of what’s most important: personality, ability, and experience. Why did you rank each on the way you did?   Answer Question
    • What are your favorite command line commands and why?   Answer Question
    • How you do find a specific line of text in a file using command line?   Answer Question
    • When would you want to use inheritance? When would you not want to use inheritance?   Answer Question
    • Describe an abstract class and how you would use it.   Answer Question
    • What type of version control software have you used?   Answer Question
    • What was something non-technical that you taught yourself to do? Why?   Answer Question
    • How would you submit a query in SQL?   Answer Question
    • Do you know about normalization?   Answer Question
    • What is something technical you would not feel comfortable working on?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with a supervisor and the outcome.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you have a difficult customer and how you dealt with that.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult group/team member and how you handled that.   Answer Question
    • Describe some data structures.   Answer Question
    • What are the pros and cons of using a linked list and a hash map and when would you want to use each?   Answer Question
    • Why should L-3 hire you and what makes you stand out above the other candidates?   Answer Question
    • What is one of your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Phone screen with some behavioral questions, and a memorable question about how would you fix a problem - because it had an answer the interview was specifically looking for.

Communication over email was pleasant leading up to the onsight interview. I didn't have to wait very long to be taken to HR which was nice.

Felt some hostility when talking to HR about salary before interviews which put me in a nervous position. I had just driven 2 hours and felt like they were ready to kick me out just because I said I didn't want to talk about my current salary.

I was then interviewed by several engineers who asked repetitive questions - I think I was drilled on virtual functions by 3 different interviewers. One interviewer made me sweat on a whiteboard while they were on their phone. I had to wait 25+ min in a room for one of the interviewers. I had a good experience with two of the more laid back engineers who weren't looking for specific answers to questions, it felt more of a conversation and I would have enjoyed working with them.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Arlington, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Very quick due to previous employment. Met with one HR person, one manager and one coworker. Biggest issue was the reason I left the company before and why I wanted to return. Meeting took less than an hour.

Electrical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2017.

Interview

L3 West (SLC, UT). Phone call interview with like 3 engineers. They didn't really ask any questions. Basically the phone call started and they told me to go down my resume and talk about the last few jobs on my employment history. Didn't ask me any behavioral questions or really anything. Allowed me to talk about classes and projects, but that's about it. They said they'd get back to me in 2 weeks...today is the 2 week mark. Fingers crossed

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the things on your resume   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (San Diego, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and then was emailed asking to do a Phone Interview. The phone interview was with the accounting manager. Questions were behavioral and he had 2 basic accounting questions. After a week I was asked to come in to do an in person interview through email and was sent a detailed itinerary of my time upon arrival. I came in and talked to the accounting manager, the program finance manager, the financial planning and analysis manager, and finally an HR manager. I spent about 30 minutes with each person. Each asked typical behavioral questions and I found that I was asked the same question by the different managers more than once (which isn't really a problem) and one interviewer admitted they hadn't collaborated on their questions. When I spoke with the last interviewer she let me know that if they were interested they would have me come in again to meet the VP of Finance and the Controller. They were very courteous in letting me know that I didn't get the position and gave a little feedback as to why (which I really appreciated). Seemed like a great group of people to work for. Would probably try to seek employment with this company after graduation.

Software Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Greenville, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

They flew us out to Greenville, TX, put us up in a hotel, and took us out to dinner the night before. They then had us tour the facility the next day while doing short little 15 minute interviews throughout the day. The interviewers were very casual about it, we talked about very different things. (One interviewer and I both discussed Java 8 and the new features of it). Got there at 7am, left at 3pm.

Interview Questions

• What are the features of object oriented programming?   1 Answer

Got another offer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camden, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Camden, NJ) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone Screening followed by on-site interview small panel interview, followed by HR rep interview. Was guided through the entire time, everyone was friendly and really enjoyed their role at L3

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Greenville, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Give you a tour of the campus. Show you some of the projects they work on. Went over benefits. Interview with 4 different hiring managers at different divisions. Entire process last a day.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

I was called, and asked a number of technical questions. The person on the phone was polite and well spoken. Because of a few misspoken answers to questions, and a small amount of technical confusion, I do not expect to receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is the asymptotic complexity of a Hash Set?   1 Answer

Software Eginee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Saint Petersburg, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

Started out with a half hour phone screen which went well. Was invited in for a five hour series of interviews with nine individuals. I was told that they were going to fill the position quickly. It has been over six weeks and no contact from L3. An email to the hiring manager went unanswered.

Interview Questions

• Quite a few basic software development questions such as how to improve performance.   1 Answer