L3 Technologies Software Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

L3 Technologies Software Engineer I Interview Questions

Interviews at L3 Technologies

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Greenville, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I met a representative at a college career fair. About two weeks later, I was contacted by HR asking for a transcript. Then I received an invitation for a day-long visit. That got delayed due to weather so the visit was about a month later.

The visit itself was great. Started at 7:30am and was done at 3:00pm. There were 11 applicants (mostly there for internships). We were given breakfast and a few presentations, then our first interview. Then we had a tour for over an hour, had lunch, then our last 2 interviews.

HR told me that the interviews were like "speed-dating" and I had no idea what that meant. All it means is that each applicant sits at their own table, a manager takes a seat on the other side, and you have exactly 40 minutes with them. All of my interviews that day (3 in all) were not technical - just a few questions about my resume and experience and then mostly about what they did.

I ended up receiving an offer for Greenville, TX. The offer was nice, but I had received a better offer elsewhere.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for L3 Technologies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Greenville, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Interviewed on-campus first with one manager. Was invited later in semester for a "Blitz Day" which is the same thing as an on-site interview with a tour of the facility. Had 3 different interviews with 3 different groups that were interested in me. The software engineering group had 2 people that asked me multiple questions. They asked resume and behavioral questions. The most technical they got was when they asked about object-oriented design.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the main properties of object-oriented design.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Tulsa, OK) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and the software development manager contacted me. We set up a phone interview, in which several people told me about the work they are doing in the aerospace industry, and then they asked me some questions about me and my educational/work background. I was then called for an in-person interview in Tulsa. This lasted 2-3 hours: the manager told me some more about their projects, and then the interviewers asked about me more about my college coursework, and some questions about my experience working with a team. Then there were two technical activities they asked me to do (they left the room for 10 minutes for each). Finally, I was given a detailed tour of the whole facility.

The reason I rate the overall experience as negative is that they didn't give me any updates on the hiring process until I asked about two weeks later. In the end I was never informed about their hiring decision. I found it very discourteous to string along applicants and never let them know about the decision or provide any feedback about the interview.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled a difficult situation working with a team?   Answer Question
    • Design a set of classes that relates to our business.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Greenville, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Application Process: I spoke with recruiters at a college career fair where I gave them my resume. I was called by HR a week later to invite me to a college hiring blitz and networking dinner in Greenville, TX.

Interview: The night before the interview, about 12 co-op and new grad candidates attended a networking dinner paid for by an L-3 representative. The representative discussed the culture and answered basic questions about the processes and where to go the following day for the hiring blitz. The representative told us they do about 6 college hiring events a semester, which based upon my personal experience, were students invited from my college career fair, so we were mostly from the same university or general area. Our group was placed in the same hotel in Greenville, close to the interview site.

Day of the interview, there were about 20 or so candidates (a mix of co-op and new grads) and we were sat in a conference room where they first showed a couple of videos talking about what they do and a vague description of the projects they work on there. HR also went over the benefits they provide co-op and full time employees. They gave us a small breakfast during it.

After a 15 minute break we had two 30-minute interviews back to back. For my first interview, I had two managers from separate departments who worked on different projects. It was a back and forth question kind of thing. I was asked more behavioral technical questions, some of which were tricky.

In the second interview, I was interviewed again by two other managers from two completely different departments. This time I was asked mostly about my resume and to describe some of the projects I worked on. This interview was more laid back.

Then we took another break and after that, they gave us a demonstration of a couple of projects. These two demos were more software based. When we came back from the demos, they served us lunch.

After lunch, we had our third 30-minute interview. This time I had one manager and was asked mostly about my projects and my resume. Also, there were a couple of CS questions about OO design.

After that interview, they took us on a tour of the facility. We got to see them working on some airplanes and then went back to another lab to watch two more demonstrations. These were more hardware based. The tour took about an hour.

They took us back to the conference room for our last 30 minute interview. I had one manager and I was asked again about OO design, my projects, and this time I had more behavioral questions.

After the last interview, they wrap up the day and let you go home. Overall, we were there from 7:45am to 3pm for the whole process.

I received an offer, but I declined it because I didn't feel like it was a great fit for me there. Also, the salary offered to me was lower than other offers I received from other companies as well as the average salary listed on this site for that position.

Interview Questions

• What are the principles of object oriented design? How would you describe object oriented? What’s encapsulation, inheritance, polymorphism, and aggregation?   Answer Question
    • What’s a protected variable?   Answer Question
    • What language do you prefer to code in (feel more comfortable coding in)?   Answer Question
    • If you could code any piece of software, what would that program do and why?   Answer Question
    • How you would describe multi-threaded programming?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about figuring out how to receive data from a device if you had no documentation on how to do so?   Answer Question
    • Describe interprocess communication.   Answer Question
    • How do you go about testing your code? Do you use a debugger and if so, how do you use it?   Answer Question
    • Rank these in order of what’s most important: personality, ability, and experience. Why did you rank each on the way you did?   Answer Question
    • What are your favorite command line commands and why?   Answer Question
    • How you do find a specific line of text in a file using command line?   Answer Question
    • When would you want to use inheritance? When would you not want to use inheritance?   Answer Question
    • Describe an abstract class and how you would use it.   Answer Question
    • What type of version control software have you used?   Answer Question
    • What was something non-technical that you taught yourself to do? Why?   Answer Question
    • How would you submit a query in SQL?   Answer Question
    • Do you know about normalization?   Answer Question
    • What is something technical you would not feel comfortable working on?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with a supervisor and the outcome.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you have a difficult customer and how you dealt with that.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult group/team member and how you handled that.   Answer Question
    • Describe some data structures.   Answer Question
    • What are the pros and cons of using a linked list and a hash map and when would you want to use each?   Answer Question
    • Why should L-3 hire you and what makes you stand out above the other candidates?   Answer Question
    • What is one of your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Arlington, TX) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied in late Feb 2018. Got a callback a few weeks later to set a phone interview. Phone interview was mostly technical but some behavioral questions were asked.

After that, I got invited to an in-person interview at the link facility in Arlington in early April. I started the interview talking to HR about the benefits. Very helpful conversation.

Then I interviewed in front of a panel of 3 engineers which all asked me various questions. Each engineer was from a different team or on a different project. Some questions flowed logically, but sometimes the questions seemed random (Switching from programming concepts to Linux concepts).

At the end I was given the last few minutes to teach anything I wanted to the 3 of them. I am still awaiting the results of the interview. I am putting "no offer" for now.

Interview Questions

• Phone: Describe some data structures. Pick any two and tell me when you would use one over the other   Answer Question
    • Phone: Tell me how you would search a list for duplicates and return a list of unique items. (If you give an inefficient answer they will ask you for other options. If you pick the best algorithm first, they'll still ask you about other ways)   Answer Question
    • In Person: Gave me a worksheet of code to look at. The task was to either find what was wrong with the code or to say what the code would print out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Greenville, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Fairly standard interview conducted in nonstandard format. Three talks back-to-back, but everybody (around 20 people) all interviewing in the same room. Plus tour of the facility. Questions were not strict technical, only general overview of your familiarity.