L3 Technologies Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 3, 2017

2.7

29 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (San Diego, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I talked to a recruiting agent at a career fair and handed her my resume to get the process started. They contacted me for a phone interview later. The phone interview was very standard asking me about my past experience and whether I was a fit for a top-secret clearance.

I was then asked to interview in person at their offices in Carlsbad. It was a 2 hour panel with 4 different groups. First I interviewed with a security officer asking me standard questions to verify I was eligible for clearance. I was then interviewed by 3 engineers asking me standard OOP questions since they work primarily in Java and C#, the questions were simple and required nothing but high level conceptual knowledge of object-oriented programming. The next panel was with the chief of engineering and the VP, this felt mainly like a formality but they were definitely trying to gauge whether I was a personality match. Finally I spoke with someone from HR asking me the business questions concerning salary, benefits etc..

I will say that I declined. It wasn't for me as it felt very "suit and tie" and as though everyone was very close-minded. The atmosphere almost felt oppressed, as though everyone had something to hide. Although that's probably just me over-thinking the top-secret clearance.

Interview Questions

• Explain Inheritance from an OO perspective   Answer Question
  • Can you implement multiple Interfaces? Abstract Classes?   Answer Question
  • How would you use an interface to implement a system that is heavily reusable with a UI and a serial connection to a physical device with specifications on how to interact with it? (High level overview)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for L3 Technologies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Anaheim, CA).

Interview

I was brought to the recruiter's office and then the recruiter brought me to a big meeting room. It was me versus 5 software managers/directors interview. It was a mix of behavioral and they asked a lot of technical questions regarding embedded systems like what is volatile and technical questions off your resume along with puzzle questions. I had to write on the white board when explaining these questions. At the end, there was a 20 minute programming test based on embedded systems.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

I sat in front of a Panel of 5 engineers. They Took turns asking me about my pat experience and skill set. None of the questions were too difficult. It was a fairly relaxed interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me a problem you encountered on a previous project. How did you over come it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Phone screen with some behavioral questions, and a memorable question about how would you fix a problem - because it had an answer the interview was specifically looking for.

Communication over email was pleasant leading up to the onsight interview. I didn't have to wait very long to be taken to HR which was nice.

Felt some hostility when talking to HR about salary before interviews which put me in a nervous position. I had just driven 2 hours and felt like they were ready to kick me out just because I said I didn't want to talk about my current salary.

I was then interviewed by several engineers who asked repetitive questions - I think I was drilled on virtual functions by 3 different interviewers. One interviewer made me sweat on a whiteboard while they were on their phone. I had to wait 25+ min in a room for one of the interviewers. I had a good experience with two of the more laid back engineers who weren't looking for specific answers to questions, it felt more of a conversation and I would have enjoyed working with them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Greenville, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Give you a tour of the campus. Show you some of the projects they work on. Went over benefits. Interview with 4 different hiring managers at different divisions. Entire process last a day.

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Greenville, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Interview was a blitz format for college graduates. The interview took about 8 hours. They began by giving us a presentation of the company and benefits. We all had 4 interviews the entire day, but they were not back to back. Everything was planned out well and they fed us.

Interview Questions

• Typical programming questions concerning OOP mythology and things that stick out to them on your resume.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Greenville, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

Company booked a hotel, took us out to dinner, and gave a tour of the facility. There were about 20 other student candidates applying for Co-op and full time positions. In total there were 3 interview with 3 different department managers for each candidate. Interview was mostly about my resume, and not very technical. It was more to see if I was compatible with their department and their other team members.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were not very technical. They asked some simple questions about Java such as explain what polymorphism, inheritance, encapsulation were.   1 Answer

Work culture seemed very strict and not fun. However, the Employees and interviewers were very friendly thought the whole process, but very serious about their work.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at L3 Technologies in January 2016.

Interview

The interview is heavily focused on school and hobby projects. It is important for students to be able to work together on teams and also demonstrate technical competency. The entire thing lasts a morning.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Fort Worth, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

Started with a phone screening and then face-to-face interview. A panel of people currently working on the projects asked if I had the skills to work on a large software system where software may require merges from legacy systems.

Interview Questions

• Ada background, use of linux tools. Experience working on large software projects.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at L3 Technologies (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

I was contacted by email by the hiring manager to set up a phone interview. In the phone interview there was a group of three or four engineers who asked me basic networking and software engineering questions. (Explain the difference between TCP and UDP, why is object-oriented design used, talk about how you play nice in the sandbox at work.) It took a week for them to get back to me about an on-site interview. At the on-site interview, I gave a 15-minute PowerPoint presentation and talked to several hiring managers and lead engineers.

Interview Questions

• 1) Explain the difference between TCP and UDP. When would each be appropriate.
      2) Given a network sketched out on the whiteboard, explain how a packet gets from one host to another in as much detail as possible.
      3) Tell us what you know about OSPF, ARP, Ethernet, and TCP protocols.   Answer Question