LA Fitness Personal Trainer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

1.9

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LA Fitness (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Interview wasn't bad. Very nice people that work there. The person who interview me was really interested in the things I was capable of handling when it came to communicating and helping clients.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little about your background in fitness.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for LA Fitness

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at LA Fitness (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview was okay. Had 2 interviews. The hitung managers are friendly! They introduced me to the whole staff and gave me a gym tour. They gave me a scenario and had to build a mini program and had to explain why I chose those exercises.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LA Fitness (Jacksonville, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

Went to two different locations for an interview in Jax, FL. Both were completely unprofessional. In the first interview, the training director was nice but distracted, (didn't even call me by my right name when coming out to meet me) claimed he was the best trainer in the city, yada yada yada. Basically told me I got the job and I just needed a second interview with his manager. I get a call three days later from him telling me that they were going to offer me the pt counselor job instead which was just sales. Since they make commission and I was making an hour drive to get to the location, and it was not the job I applied for, wanted, or was initially offered, I declined.

Got a callback from a different location which I interviewed today. After playing phone tag for a week with the director at this location due to him always being with a client (which is fine and normal) we set up the interview for today. I get there and he didn't even show up; completely forgot. Interviewed with the assistant director/manager which went fine to me until he looked me over and asked "So you got any muscle? Any muscle tone? Do you workout at all?" Which was completely inappropriate and unprofessional. I told him yes and that I was at the end of a leaning out phase (which I am) and that I was adjusting going back to normal workouts since in my last job I recently left which was a warehouse job, I was lifting 20,000-50,000 lbs daily filling orders for stores. I've lost over 150 pounds and I'm wearing dress pants with a button up that wasn't super tight like his was and the guy's going to ask me if I work out... when I'm applying for a pt job. Thanks.

He offered me a full time job making $12/hr but I was only looking for part time due to working at a studio currently and not wanting to leave. And after the poor treatment, who'd want to work with them? It's like they don't understand that we're responsible for client retention, a huge revenue source for any company, or that they might have to actually create an atmosphere that employees would actually want to be in 40 hours a week.

All in all, I expected a lot more. I'm a fairly new trainer but it doesn't mean I'm unqualified or unprofessional. These were people who've been in the industry for almost 20 years each. Not exactly people I will model my career after. And it's my last time I'll ever go near an LA Fitness with a 20 ft pole.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about hypertrophy?

How do you calculate a person's target heart rate?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LA Fitness (Portland, OR) in July 2017.

Interview

The Manager was trying to hard sale me on a position that she kept saying had very little turnover. The compensation seemed ok but what she seemed to go through everything too fast.

Interview Questions

• 3 words that describe yourself.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Arcadia, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LA Fitness (Arcadia, CA).

Interview

The interview was relatively simple. Answered a few questions about my background, training, and certification. I was also asked a few questions like "what you would do if .. ?" and how I would treat the clients with whom I was working. One of the less stressful interviews I've been on.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a client was unsatisfied with their training package?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LA Fitness (Atlanta, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

They were very unprofessional, contacted me first beforehand to set up the interview. Then when I got there didn't want to discuss much besides their sales team. Proceeded to tell me there wasn't any trainer positions open and there were only openings for the sales team.

Interview Questions

• If passion or compensation was more important to me.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at LA Fitness (Orlando, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

After confirming the interview day 4 days prior by email, the interviewer waited until the night before to give a time and location for the interview, which I consider inconsiderate. I felt the email exchange we had to set up the interview was slightly unprofessional and not respectful of my time...I found the in-person version to match this tone.

There were few to no questions about my qualifications, degrees, and skill set. Instead, it felt more like a salesman, pitching me a product I didn't want (sales). He literally gave me a sales pitch; that is not metaphor. I found out that I was misled as to the position and its duties; it was not the job I was applying for.
    The interviewer took multiple texts at the beginning and middle of my interview--which I read as an attempt at a 'power move', then proceeded to attempt to 'sell' me the position (which turned out to in fact be exclusively commission phone sales).
    And I suppose while I'm being completely honest, he had noticeable beer on his breath at 1pm.

I left aggravated and felt my time had been wasted by someone who didn't respect their prospective employees.

Interview Questions

• Really, the only question he asked was some form of, "Why do you want to work here?"
      Nothing at all about my background, my education, professional skill set, or long-term aspirations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at LA Fitness (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

It was very open ended and laid back. This overall feel of the interview as a pleasant experiance yet I did not take the job offer. It seemed like they didn't have a great management staff.

Interview Questions

• What are you certifications and how do you draw in new business?   Answer Question

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at LA Fitness.

Interview

process was 30 minutes with personal training director. after was a practice test in gym. if you really fitness professional this interview is not a problem. for most trainer it will be difficult.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at LA Fitness (San Antonio, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Received a call. Asked if I was interested in sales counseor instead and agreed. First interview was a personal training interview, the 2nd was a sales interview where I had to memorize the pitch and diagram and give it to the manager.