Lab49 Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2016

3.5

Technical Delivery Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY).

Interview

I was first contacted through a recruiter about the role. The first interview was a phone screen with the head of the Delivery Practice, who asked me to walk him through some of the projects I have worked on, what role I played and to explain some of the technical and design aspects of the projects.

This was followed by an on-site interview, which took about four hours. I worked on a written project case study then presented my answers to two interviewers, who asked drill-down questions throughout my presentation. Most of the questions focused on specific scenarios, i.e. What would you do in this specific situation or Have you have had to address this and how did you deal with it. Quite challenging and I was exhausted at the end.

I then came back in to meet for an hour each with two more senior managers of the firm. These interviews focused on project scenarios, Agile best practices, and financial products knowledge among other questions about my experience.

The offer came two weeks later.

Summary: Challenging interviews but generally a positive experience. Everyone I met with seemed genuinely bright and motivated.

User Experience Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

One of the worst interviews I ever had. It all started out as a great discussion during the phone screen with a NYC employee. Arriving in person at the DC office, however, was a different story. I had a Skype interview with one of the DC managers and that went well but when meeting him in person he hadn't even reviewed my portfolio or my resume. This is after saying over Skype I was the perfect candidate. How is that possible? Very confusing. Not only that but he was very condescending in person. My expectation was to review some of my work, share my process and then do a white board session. They went straight to the test and it was mostly testing me on a project they were struggling with which was a PTO internal application. Building complex financial systems is really boring so the way I approached this interview is to be loose, humorous and a bit informal to balance out the rigid structure. At my previous job that was rewarded.

They seem extremely unhappy. Please, don't take yourself so damn seriously. And also don't tell candidates that your client sucks. How stupid can you be? And... don't say that there is no vacation time over and over again and expect to attract talent. So goofy. Stay away from this place.

Interview Questions

• Why are you choosing Lab49?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn by recruiter in NY. He asked 10 to 15 Java questions which were multiple choice. I think I got 1 incorrect because Java 8 has changed what was true in Java 7. Next was a phone screen which was fairly easy. The questions were core java. The phone screen after that was mostly about general software engineering and testing. Then were the 4 interviews which were face to face. The first one was whiteboarding code which was fairly simple. The one after was an architecture question were I was asked to design Shazam. The one after that was technical but not really it was just talking about technology. then was the normal HR interview which is quite standard. They talk a lot about agile methodology throughout all the interviews.

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 in April 2015.

Interview

It is very much professional. Prompt communication.
    Overall well taken care. Waiting for final process to be completed. One telephovery interview. I had coding challenge. It was really challenging I really enjoyed it. I have to really appreciate interviewer thought process.

Interview Questions

• Core java question based on scenario   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied via a referral. I received a phone call within a few days of the referral being done. The recruiter explained the position and expectations and asked me to describe myself and what position I was looking for. The first phone call itself had some Java questions, which is rare. This was followed by 2 Phone interviews and then an onsite interview once I cleared these. They did expedite the in-person because I had another offer in hand by that time.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Long interview process but worth taking time. Started with 30 minutes phone screen with the recruiter, them two more phone screens with team members, then around 4 hours of interview with the QA team and project manager, then an another interview with the HR Manager. Interview process was professional, never felt bored or uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• Interviewers reviewed my resume before the interview start, I could see that based on their questions. Interview Focused more on the experience, tools that were used, the process used, and tried to assess my overall work profile   1 Answer

Javascript Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

A couple of phone screens, then a brutal 4-5 hour in-person interview in their NY office. It was the toughest interview process of any company I've interviewed with.

You essentially do several 1 hour blocks of pair coding with current developers, mixed in with some personality questions. Apparently a lot of people don't even make it through the full day of interviewing. They really are looking for the best of the best.

Interview Questions

• Write your own unit testing "spy" function.   1 Answer
    • Calculate the weighted average of a bunch of produce.   1 Answer
    • Sketch (on paper) the UX and basic functionality of a billing system for power consumption in large office building.   1 Answer

Front End Web Developer/Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Seemed fairly straightforward: About a 1 hour technical phone screen with a Principal Consultant and after that I went through a 4 hour interview with 3 developers and 1 person from HR.

Each developer had a different amount of time working with the company: 6months, ~2years, 8 years.

The first developer asked me to finish a couple of function declarations to fit the tests they had pre-built.

The second developer asked me how I would design a user interface for both an administrator and user and how I would set up an api to handle the data.

The third developer asked me about how I would solve larger problems in a team setting.

The HR representative asked me about previous jobs and normal HR stuff.

It was all pretty enjoyable and easy going actually. All of the interviewers were nice people, everyone seemed very knowledgable about coding and excited to build cool applications.

I would say I had a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Write a debounce function!   1 Answer
    • Say there was a function that took 1 second to execute and you needed to run this function 10 million times, how would you cut down on the execution time?   1 Answer

User Experience Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lab49.

Interview

I first received a phone screen from the recruiting manager. Then I got another call with a senior designer, mostly talking about my background and questions about Lab49. Then I got called for in person interview, with hours of challenging design exercise and some HR talks.

Interview Questions

• The design exercise was quite challenging, especially for the candidate who doesn't have any financial background   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Lab49 (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

A simple phone interview. Then a rather basic (although I'm guessing they'd call it 'nuanced') question requiring you to implement a simple interface with some simple statements like "we're agile so we expect the code to look a certain way." Whatever that means. I assumed it meant make sure you provided test cases.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between List, Set, Map? What is the scope of a spring bean? How to implement an immutable object in Java? What is good about spring what is bad about spring? What is good about Java and what is bad about Java?   Answer Question
    • How to implement an asynchronous system?   Answer Question
    • Coding Test (No specifics as they sent an email saying it was their IP. LOL. ):

The coding test was a very simple interface of a VERY simple algorithm. Although they did leave off some rather important details about how you would receive some critical required data and left that for you to conjure up. Fun, fun.

They also had some special requests like "We utilize agile methodologies and adhere to coding standard best practices. " I've really been doing agile for the last 4-5 years. What the hell does that even mean. I assume they meant TDD so I made sure I had nice unit tests ready to go.

Another good one... "The implementation should be thread-safe, and performant." Thread safe, that's easy. Done. Performant though? I kept everything at O(log n) which I thought should be performant enough.
      Answer Question