Lam Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lam Research Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was first interviewed by HR and then hiring manager via phone, and finally got invited to an onsite interview. It lasted for a whole day from 8:30 to 5:30, during which I was scheduled to meet with 10 different people ranging from engineers to directors. Most questions are technical about my research and internship, and the interviewers were also patient to answer all my questions about the position and company. I also gave a 45-min presentation in the morning talking about my PhD research and internship, 1 hour in total with questions during the talk.

Interview Questions

• How did you know about Lam?
      What made you think about doing internship during your PhD?
      Are you considering the company you interned with for a full-time position? Why?
      What is the most challenging part of your PhD? What was your largest contribution?
      If you were to redo your PhD, what would you differently and why?
      How do you think of working as a process engineer? It may be more tedious than what you imagine.
      Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lam Research in February 2017.

Interview

The manager of the plasma etching group called me. He asked me to introduce myself, and asked a few questions about my previous experience I listed on the resume. Since I have etching experience, he asked more questions on what I have done with plasma etching, and how did I develop the recipe for the etching, etc. Later, he asked me some behavior questions, like problem-solving. He did pay much attention to this part and expanded the question to details like what if you didn't get expected result in the lab.... Last, he asked me whether I have experience in industry and whether I have taken classes about plasma. The manager interviewed me is very professional.

Process Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Was first interviewed by HR. The questions were mainly non-technical. The 2nd round was with a manager over the phone. He asked me questions about what I have done during my PhD Work. Was not selected for the final round.

Interview Questions

• HR question : If you could go back and do something differently in your research what would that be and how.   Answer Question

Buyer- Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tualatin, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lam Research (Tualatin, OR) in December 2016.

Interview

Positive - I met with two folks from the team I would be working with. Neither of them were hiring managers - keep this in mind and ask ahead of time if you will be working with the hiring managers. They are just there to pre-screen. I could have had the interview on the phone but I chose to meet them in person to get a feel for the company on site.
    Total interview time was about 20 minutes and due to the semiconductor industry lifestyle, they both had back to back meetings and could not spend a lot of time otherwise.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of an issue that came up with a vendor and how did you resolve?   Answer Question
    • Are you sure you will be able to handle a fast paced environment?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lam Research in November 2016.

Interview

Talked to an engineer during the career fair and got the contact information for an HR. Was contacted after a month for a phone interview with the HR and the hiring manager on the following day. Checked back with the HR for the next week and got rejected for the position

Mechanical Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lam Research (Portland, OR) in October 2016.

Interview

One HR contact in first round, and then I was phone interviewed by a hiring manager. Finally, I was invited in the onsite interview in Portland, Oregon.

They invited me to Oregon. They bought the flight, which depart at 6:00 a.m. and came back at 10 p.m. The onsite interview took 1 whole day, with 9 different people (45 min/each). It was exhausted. However, they tried not to challenge me.

The interview process was easy ( not too much pressure because I am pretty I guess) However, they did not give me the offer because they think my technical background is not technical.
    They did not even ask a lot of technical questions, I guess my presentation was not good.

Interview Questions

• they asked me why I want to join Lam and what is my future plan for next 5 years.
      and some easy technical question
      Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Lam Research (Milpitas, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Long and Boring. Have you ever seen Office Space? It was kind of like that. I think one of the quys even had suspenders. Do I have to write more to satisfy your algorithm? If this were a real human you wouldn’t be messing with me like this.

Interview Questions

• Standard corporate cookie cutter questions. Have you ever been attacted to animals? Stuff like that.   1 Answer

Final Test Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tualatin, OR

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lam Research (Tualatin, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was short only about 5 - 8 min and after telling the interviewer about me I was asked to try and read a schematic which I was not that good at. I left feeling confident and I was told they would call me in the next week.

Electrical Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Called by HR personnel and talked on the phone for about 20 minutes about projects. This is primarily to see if the applicant has a broad enough background to move forward. The next step was an off-site interview with the manager of the particular department. That interview was primarily talking about school projects (new college grad with no work experience, if the applicant has prior work experience then these conversations would focus on previous work projects). After that there was an on-site half day interview process that consisted of having lunch with a few potential colleagues. Then there were 8 half hour interviews with senior engineers and technical managers. These interviews were primarily based on talking about school projects and also seeing if I would fit in with the group. Also, one of the half hour talks was with the HR person that had initially talked to me over the phone. This particular conversation focused on the company and its structure and benefits. After this process there is the potential for a full day interview in which there are more conversations with engineers and there would also be a technical review presented by you to a group of engineers. This technical review is where the candidate discusses some technical thing for 45 minutes and then is followed up by a 15 minute Q&A. I did not make it to that stage, but it was mentioned to me as I was going through the process.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions consisted of ways to improve projects and also basic bode plot of a low pass RC filter, inverting and non-inverting op-amps and also analyzing a voltage divider circuit that utilized super position.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very long waiting time to get feedback from hiring manager after talking to human resource recruiter. But it moves faster after successfully completing phone interview with hiring manager. The company is in very busy mode right now due to booming business.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 most important items to program management?   1 Answer