Lam Research Process Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 7, 2017

3.2

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA).

Interview

The interview process went smoothly and fast. First phone interview was with a recruiter. Second phone interview was with the hiring manager and technical. On-site interview included one presentation, followed by individual meetings with 7-8 engineers and managers.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Lam Research

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Had my resume forwarded by a LAM employee and received a phone call from a hiring manager about a week later without any prior notice. Received a second phone call an hour later from another engineer in the same team. The same day in the evening received onsite interview invitation. A week after onsite interview, received verbal offer from the HR.

Interview Questions

• Why did you decide to join LAM after years of doing postdoc research? 7 out of 8 interviewers asked me this question.   1 Answer
    • One senior director in the R&D department asked me all technical questions for 30 minutes. Ranging from ALD processes to PVD ones. Make sure you know everything that you claim to know in your resume!   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lam Research (Houston, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

There was two phone interview. First one was with the recruiter and the second one was with the project manager. I was expecting some technical questions from the project manager. But both of them asked all the behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about lam research? and why you want to work here?
      Problem solving ability? Leadership?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lam Research.

Interview

Full day technical interview. I met one on one with the each team member and all the program managers related to the position. I gave a seminar talk on my previous research.

Interview Questions

• They were interested in my knowledge of process engineering for semiconductor manufacturing.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lam Research in April 2017.

Interview

First, an admin lady emailed me and told me that one hiring manger read my resume. He wanted to schedule a phone call with me discussing about potential opportunity. We set the date and I knew it was going to be technical.

The call with the hiring manager lasted about 30 min. He asked about the research in my PhD study since it is related to the work at Lam Research as a process engineer. A lot of technical details regarding tuning process parameters on specific plasma etching equipment. He also told me about his group, what they do and how well they are doing.

At the end he asked if I had any question for him.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest challenge in your PhD work and how did you approach it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lam Research (San Jose, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I got the phone interview from dry etch group. I was asked basic questions such as to describe a challenging project and etc. I answered with very detailed cases and I can feel the discussion was great... However , one week later I heard from HR the team think I need to improve my problem solving skills

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging project you worked on and how did you solve this?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was first interviewed by HR and then hiring manager via phone, and finally got invited to an onsite interview. It lasted for a whole day from 8:30 to 5:30, during which I was scheduled to meet with 10 different people ranging from engineers to directors. Most questions are technical about my research and internship, and the interviewers were also patient to answer all my questions about the position and company. I also gave a 45-min presentation in the morning talking about my PhD research and internship, 1 hour in total with questions during the talk.

Interview Questions

• How did you know about Lam?
      What made you think about doing internship during your PhD?
      Are you considering the company you interned with for a full-time position? Why?
      What is the most challenging part of your PhD? What was your largest contribution?
      If you were to redo your PhD, what would you differently and why?
      How do you think of working as a process engineer? It may be more tedious than what you imagine.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First email contact from HR, followed by a short phone screening with HR. Then a phone interview with the hiring manager. Went to on-site interview two weeks later. On-site interview was a full day, with a 1 hour presentation plus five one-on-one interview with managers in different groups, plus a lunch with a senior engineer.

Interview Questions

• Explain one of my graduate research project. How do you solve conflicts with colleagues. Also pirate game.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lam Research in February 2017.

Interview

The manager of the plasma etching group called me. He asked me to introduce myself, and asked a few questions about my previous experience I listed on the resume. Since I have etching experience, he asked more questions on what I have done with plasma etching, and how did I develop the recipe for the etching, etc. Later, he asked me some behavior questions, like problem-solving. He did pay much attention to this part and expanded the question to details like what if you didn't get expected result in the lab.... Last, he asked me whether I have experience in industry and whether I have taken classes about plasma. The manager interviewed me is very professional.

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Onsite one day interview. 45 minutes presentation plus 15 minutes questions. The questions were asked during the talk. 8 one by one interview, each lasts for 30 to 45 minutes.