Lam Research Process Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lam Research Process Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2017

3.2

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lam Research.

Interview

Full day technical interview. I met one on one with the each team member and all the program managers related to the position. I gave a seminar talk on my previous research.

Interview Questions

• They were interested in my knowledge of process engineering for semiconductor manufacturing.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Lam Research

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lam Research in April 2017.

Interview

First, an admin lady emailed me and told me that one hiring manger read my resume. He wanted to schedule a phone call with me discussing about potential opportunity. We set the date and I knew it was going to be technical.

The call with the hiring manager lasted about 30 min. He asked about the research in my PhD study since it is related to the work at Lam Research as a process engineer. A lot of technical details regarding tuning process parameters on specific plasma etching equipment. He also told me about his group, what they do and how well they are doing.

At the end he asked if I had any question for him.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest challenge in your PhD work and how did you approach it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lam Research (San Jose, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I got the phone interview from dry etch group. I was asked basic questions such as to describe a challenging project and etc. I answered with very detailed cases and I can feel the discussion was great... However , one week later I heard from HR the team think I need to improve my problem solving skills

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging project you worked on and how did you solve this?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was first interviewed by HR and then hiring manager via phone, and finally got invited to an onsite interview. It lasted for a whole day from 8:30 to 5:30, during which I was scheduled to meet with 10 different people ranging from engineers to directors. Most questions are technical about my research and internship, and the interviewers were also patient to answer all my questions about the position and company. I also gave a 45-min presentation in the morning talking about my PhD research and internship, 1 hour in total with questions during the talk.

Interview Questions

• How did you know about Lam?
      What made you think about doing internship during your PhD?
      Are you considering the company you interned with for a full-time position? Why?
      What is the most challenging part of your PhD? What was your largest contribution?
      If you were to redo your PhD, what would you differently and why?
      How do you think of working as a process engineer? It may be more tedious than what you imagine.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First email contact from HR, followed by a short phone screening with HR. Then a phone interview with the hiring manager. Went to on-site interview two weeks later. On-site interview was a full day, with a 1 hour presentation plus five one-on-one interview with managers in different groups, plus a lunch with a senior engineer.

Interview Questions

• Explain one of my graduate research project. How do you solve conflicts with colleagues. Also pirate game.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lam Research in February 2017.

Interview

The manager of the plasma etching group called me. He asked me to introduce myself, and asked a few questions about my previous experience I listed on the resume. Since I have etching experience, he asked more questions on what I have done with plasma etching, and how did I develop the recipe for the etching, etc. Later, he asked me some behavior questions, like problem-solving. He did pay much attention to this part and expanded the question to details like what if you didn't get expected result in the lab.... Last, he asked me whether I have experience in industry and whether I have taken classes about plasma. The manager interviewed me is very professional.

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Onsite one day interview. 45 minutes presentation plus 15 minutes questions. The questions were asked during the talk. 8 one by one interview, each lasts for 30 to 45 minutes.

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lam Research (Fremont, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I met a Process Engineering group lead at a campus career fair where we discussed my PhD research and their group's work. After about two weeks I was invited to an onsite interview. This consisted of a 1 hour presentation on my PhD work for a number of managers and engineers at the beginning of the day followed by 6-7 half hour one-on-one interviews with most of the people that attended my presentation along with a three-on-one with engineers from the team I would be joining. Most questions revolved around my graduate work and how it would relate to the work at Lam as well as some technical questions pertaining to their process that I had some experience with and behavior questions. There were also a number of opportunities for me to ask questions about Lam as a company and the experiences of those interviewing me. About two weeks after the onsite interview I had a follow up phone call with the hiring manager to address some questions that came up during the onsite. The following day I received the offer.

Interview Questions

• How did your Ph.D. work prepare you for the kind of work we do at Lam?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a conflict you have had with your advisor/labmate and how did you address it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate a starting bonus to cover relocation expenses.

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lam Research in November 2016.

Interview

Talked to an engineer during the career fair and got the contact information for an HR. Was contacted after a month for a phone interview with the HR and the hiring manager on the following day. Checked back with the HR for the next week and got rejected for the position

Anonymous Employee in Tualatin, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lam Research (Tualatin, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

Got the onsite interview after a phone interview. Met 8-10 people in a day, ranging from senior process engineer to director. Got the offer after two days, but have to decline due to personal issue

Interview Questions

• What is your understanding about ALD? What is your leadership style?   Answer Question