Lawrence Berkeley Lab Postdoctoral Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.8

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Typical process for a research positions: give a presentation on your past/current research work to the groups interviewing with, followed by one-on-one talks/interviews with various researchers in the department and groups
Focus is on your potential as a researcher

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Lawrence Berkeley Lab

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interview

do not quite remember by now. but there will be online application, interview by the hiring PI, then HR will work on the files. The process will be largely decided by the hiring PI

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

No pre-phone interview. Was invited to give a job talk and then spend the rest of the day speaking with small groups of people. Very few questions about my experience and background beyond what was asked during my talk. Instead, they explained to me the details and background of the project I'd be working on.

Interview Questions

• If you had unlimited funds, what research project would you pursue?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab.

Interview

It was simple, two-round interview, first phone interview was very informal, and second on-site was very easy too; the offer was given the next week after the second round. They asked questions about experiences; questions about career plans; questions about salary requirements at the second review.

Interview Questions

• questions about experiences; questions about career plans; questions about salary requirements at the second review   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab (Berkeley, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was flown in to the lab and put in a hotel in Berkeley. I had 7 one on one interviews of half an hour and I also gave a seminar talk followed by questions. I was also taken for lunch at the cafeteria with a few of the staff members that interviewed me, and there I met a few more people on random (or not, I can't tell for sure).

Interview Questions

• Everyone who interviewed me wanted me to describe my research.
      I was also asked what was the significance of my research.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Easy scientific type of interview with 1 hour presentation of your research. I had about 8 one-to-one 30 minutes interviews with Berkeley Lab scientists and managers. A few interviews were technical with assessment of job relevant skills.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab (Berkeley, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I sent my CV directly to the professor at beginning of September and i got the phone interview at the end of the same month , and at the last day of September i got the on site interview. My PI was good, finally i got this job

Interview Questions

• the questions is about my background for example where i come from and what i have done during my PhD   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab (Berkeley, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got a phone interview with a PI.
    Invited a on-site interview.
    Job talk 40 min and 20 min questions answer.
    Meeting with members
    But this process is very different depending on your situtation.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab (Berkeley, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Presentation of my work in front of a group of people.

1:1 interview to each team member and have lunch with them.

Advice:
    Just to spend more time on preparing your presentation. They want to see whether you're knowledgeable and logical.
    Also, they are testing you whether you can get along with other team members by allowing you to have informal meeting with them.

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lawrence Berkeley Lab (Emeryville, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

I was referred to the hiring manager by my thesis advisor. It took approximately one week from submission of my CV and cover letter to the hiring manager (and subsequent submission through their online system) to gain an interview date. I met with the hiring manager first, then had several 1:1 and 1:3 interviews with other managers as well as other postdocs. I gave a 1-hr presentation. I remember the audience was small (~15-20 people), but very engaged and I was pleased with the discussion that took place after I was done. I was offered the position the following week. The facility (JBEI) is beautiful and the access to instrumentation and technical assistance was awesome. I also really enjoyed the people I worked with--they were intelligent, willing to listen and give feedback and lots of fun. Like most "postdoc farms," some were burnt out and ready to move on, but nevertheless good to work with.

Interview Questions

• How would you apply your previous work to the project you are being interviewed about today?`   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase because the salaries are set according to previous postdoctoral experience and because it is government, they are consistent throughout each department.