Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Mechanical Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA).

Interview

Met with one expert in the field I was applying for. Then there was a call back for the panel interview. Then you wait for a couple of weeks to get a answer to get a call from Human Resources.

Interview Questions

• How will you contribute to the overall projects and mission of LLNL   Answer Question

Mar 7, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience; we look forward to your joining us soon!

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in March 2017.

Interview

I recently applied for a position out in Livermore where I received a phone call from an HR representative. The representative wanted to arrange a phone interview. As excited as I was to be considered, I declined the phone interview almost immediately. My reasoning behind this decision would relate back to my initial treatment. Long story short, I asked for an email confirming my phone interview (due to different time zones and not being at a spot to record the date/time). To my surprise I was declined that email. The representative responded to me with a “Seriously?” I was stunned at the response as this is a common duty for any HR representative. Needless to say, I was disappointed and will not be seeking employment with Livermore at this time.

A bad experience is not the best way to start a new job. Needless to say, it wouldn't have been in my best interest to proceed further in the interview process.

I rated the interview as difficult, because it was difficult for me to think that a world renowned lab could make me feel this way.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel of 4 people. I was nervous about having so many interviewers, but it was actually an easy interview and a great experience. It took about 2 months from the time I applied to receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was about my passion in accounting and/or finance.   Answer Question

Software Systems Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I first applied for another role in September 2016 and had a phone interview. After about a month and half they told me that I am not selected but because they liked me, they wanted me to apply for another role that was opening up soon and to keep an eye on it. These people were so nice and professional that they actually called me and told me to apply when the role became available. So I applied towards end of November. From there the interview process was fairly quick. I had a phone interview with two people and then an onsite interview with around eight people - within a couple of weeks. The interview was a mix of background/technical questions. All the people in the interview were great people, I was very impressed. They saw through me and were able to recognize my determination and honesty, which a lot of other companies failed to see. This was by far the best interview experience that I have ever had. Few days after the interview, they started the background/reference check process. That took about 4-5 weeks by the time I got my offer and start date.

Interview Questions

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Jan 25, 2017

Thank you for your review and welcome to the Lab!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (New York, NY).

Interview

About a handful of interview stages. Started with HR, then with the team lead, then with the management and finally with the whole team. This was for an intermediate technical position so the interviews focused on prior technical experience and skills. Also some questions to see personal character / behavior, like how to deal with difficult situations and challenges. No problem solving questions or puzzles.

Interview Questions

• Explain a previous development project you led and the technologies used.   Answer Question

Aug 31, 2016

Thank you for sharing your interview experience, welcome to LLNL!

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied early in the year, and within a few weeks got an email asking for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about an hour. I was asked to explain items on my resume, and after that there was a short coding question. For the question, I coded the answer on a google docs like website. My interviewer could see my work as I coded, and asked questions about the logic behind my solution. The remainder of the phone interview, about 20 mins, I asked any questions I had about the lab and the work done there.

About 2 weeks later, I got an email inviting me for an in person interview. I asked to postpone the interview for a few months because I was finishing school. The lab was very accommodating and allowed me to. The in-person interview was 9 hours. It consisted of 9 1-hour interviews. Each interview was with 1-3 people from the lab. None of the interviews were particularly challenging, but as a whole the day was hard. It is a long day, and you need to be able to stay mentally sharp for 9 hours. They asked about every detail on my resume, so be sure you can explain every part of your resume in detail.

I heard back from the lab 2 weeks later and was offered a job. It then took 2 weeks to get my official offer.

Interview Questions

• In the language of your choice, write code to reverse a string. What data structure would you use?

If you have a continuous stream of integers and only wanted to keep the 10 highest numbers, what data structure would you use to implement this?
      Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very straightforward. Somewhat technical. Good overview of the facilities. Very capable team. Good opportunities for diversity. Tour of the facilities. Great program for summer college hires with extensive exposure to teams across the site.

Interview Questions

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

May 12, 2016

So happy to hear you accepted our offer. It is an exciting time of year when we have so many interns join us!

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview involved a one-hour talk followed by a series of two-on-one discussions. These discussions mostly focused on the content of my talk and on possible projects that I could work on while at the lab. I found the process to be somewhat exhausting but extremely informative. The researchers were engaging, and it gave me the impression that Livermore would be a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions involved specifics regarding my previous research and on how I could apply that research to lab-related topics.   Answer Question

Apr 11, 2016

Thank you for your feedback; we are glad that you found the interview informative. It is a great place to work and hopefully you will keep us in mind in the future.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

It was a day long process that was broken up into 30 min segments were I interviewed with different members of the group that was looking to fill a position. I also was asked to prepare a 45 min seminar to show off my technical presentation skills.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about working on multiple projects simultaneously, where the projects might be vastly different in their end goals?   Answer Question

Apr 11, 2016

We are glad to hear that you had a positive experience and have accepted our offer. Welcome!!

Administrative Specialist LV Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Before the interview actually started there was an entire security process that she had to pass before entering the site. Please make sure you give yourself plenty of time to go through the security check process.
    Panel interview , each took a turn and asked a question

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me a time where you had a stressful situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question