Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Interview Questions

Interviews at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in June 2019.

Interview

Interview lasts from 8 am to 2:30 pm with a break for lunch. The lunch break includes a brief tour of the lab. Interview begins with overview of the department and programs. Next, you will present to a group of engineers (approx 15-20) on an engineering project. The presentation is the most critical part of the interview so following the prompt is key. All attendees at the presentation will have a say in your hiring. After you will interview with several small groups of 2 to 3 people before and after the lunch. Finally, the hiring manager meets with you to discuss hiring logistics and any last questions.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions on presentation and what my long term interests were. The lab really wants to find the position/ role that you will excel at.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Interview

I had an initial phone screening interview, and two weeks later, I had a virtual interview (due to COVID-19). The virtual interview was a day long process of meeting people on the team and answering technical questions. Everyone was extremely kind and informative.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Interview

Was referred to a group leader by a professor at my university and was extended the offer to interview. The interview was via phone for less than an hour, but we discussed what projects were currently going on and what the distribution of skills was like for people in the group, in addition to some questions about my prior experience etc.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in March 2020.

Interview

The interview included meeting and talking with several individuals at various levels within the lab including group members, group leaders, and division leaders. In addition, a technical seminar was required with a Q/A session. Overall, it was a very positive experience. People were friendly and supportive.

Technical Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

Very thorough set of questions delivered by a panel of 4 people. No question was out of the ordinary. Lasted 1.75 hours. I felt like they wanted me to succeed, and found ways of linking my experience to their requirements.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a team project you worked on that was a success.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a problem you had with a team and what you did to fix the problem.   Answer Question
    • What is your style of technical writing?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Interview

Half hour presentation to a small group on my history and experience followed by Q&A. Felt very casual and friendly. I heard back about two weeks later and accepted immediately.

Employment Specialist Interview

Interview

Quick and great group of people. The team seemed very interested and engaged. The campus was great as well and I was glad someone came to the badging office to get me.

Thermal Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA).

Interview

I had to give a 25 minute technical presentation about a past project in which I demonstrated how I established requirements of the project, how I planned the project, what approaches (theory, computational analysis, design, etc.), and how I documented my results. There was 20 minutes allotted to the engineers to ask questions about my presentation. They took up every minute.

The day consisted of 3 different panels in which a minimum of 5 people were on each panel. They asked additional questions about my presentation and in general asked how I would approach a myriad of problems. Many of the problems were related to current problems they were working on. The point of the questions wasn't necessarily arriving at the right answer (because most of them didn't have a "right" answer) but more of how you thought about the overall approach.

The engineers there were very friendly and highly intelligent. The majority of them hold a Master's degree or higher. Very few have Bachelor's degrees.

Overall, I enjoyed talking to them and listening to challenging engineering questions!

Interview Questions

• How would you structure a code in SINDA to account for multiple layers of insulation?   2 Answers
    • Why do you want to work for LLNL?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with an energy source that is constantly radiating if it's in some sort of container? (I can't remember the specifics but it's a very particular question)   Answer Question
    • Can you talk about your latest experience?   Answer Question
    • What were the main modes of heat transfer you dealt with at your previous job?   1 Answer

Materials Engineer Post College Appointee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

Interview started with 30 minute presentation that they asked me to prepare ahead of time. Next, I met several members of the department and they described their roles in the company and were able to answer my questions and ask me about my resume. My lunch was paid for in the cafeteria and my interview ended with a tour of the site.

Interview Questions

• Asked questions about past projects I had completed and other items on my resume   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Interview

I applied online, did a phone screen with the hiring panel the next week. 2 weeks after that, I did an in person interview. Then they asked for 3 references the next week. The week after that I was offered the position and then started the background check process. you will be drug tested and your work history, education and references will all be checked.

Interview Questions

• There were lots of behavioral questions like "tell me about a time when your coworker made a mistake and how did you approach the situation" and "describe a time you went above and beyond your job description".   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Interview

Multiple phone calls with different people asking about my employment, academic, and research background, then background check & drug test, then official offer. Had to work with a lot of different engineers and HR people.

Interview Questions

• What is your work experience? Questions about research projects/my interests   Answer Question