Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 16, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Mechanical Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA).

Interview

Met with one expert in the field I was applying for. Then there was a call back for the panel interview. Then you wait for a couple of weeks to get a answer to get a call from Human Resources.

Interview Questions

• How will you contribute to the overall projects and mission of LLNL   Answer Question

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Mar 7, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience; we look forward to your joining us soon!

AO1 II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA).

Interview

A 20 presentation was required involved a panel of 6 which I believe was over kill for this type of position. followed by at least 6 pages of very lengthy questions

Interview Questions

• The usual strengths weaknesses.. how do you handle difficult people.   Answer Question

Mass Spectrometrist Interview

Application

Interview

I was contacted by staff researchers for an initial phone interview, and was then invited out for a day of interviews, lab tours, and a job talk. I was also given a full overview of the benefits and compensation package for the position for which I applied.

Interview Questions

• What was my experience with working with the particular types of instruments in this particular research group?   Answer Question

Computer Science Interview

Application

Interview

I flew in from Florida. It was a long flight and a long interview with 8-10 different panels. They call them "ACE" events, mass hiring event. The process is like a pipeline. There was a group of maybe 10 candidates and they would rotate us through 30 minute panel interviews. At the end, the panels would vote for candidates they want to hire.

Several things bothered me. I didn't apply to Java developer jobs, yet 70% of the "teams" were looking for a Java developer. I was under the impression that they were hiring a computer scientist, not a human Java Virtual Machine. The teams were trying to "split the bill" on 1-2 Java developers. They called it a "generalist" positions, which in this case meant Java developer.

Another thing that irked me is that they flew me in on a Wednesday mid-semester. I ended up missing 3 days of graduate level courses right before midterms. I tried changing the date, but they said that it would lower my chances of being hired since less teams would interview me.

Some of the panels interviews (3-4) were space fillers. They were like NOPs in a pipeline. Basically, you sit with a babysitter in a room for 30 minutes and stare at each other. The room was cold and located in the same trailer as the other rooms.

The whole experience was unprofessional. I even saw a male interviewer try to pickup a female interviewer in a different panel during lunch. Overall, I didn't feel valued or respected during the process. I would have liked to have been taken a little more seriously. After it was over, they even started background check on me after they told me they wouldn't be offering me a job. I found out because one of my references received an email from LLNL. I brought it to their attention and they apologized and cancelled it a few days later. I don't remember giving them permission to check my credit history or background.

To this day, I still receive emails saying that I'm being considered for a position at LLNL.

A few of the interviewers were professional and respectful, but many were not.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the same object oriented questions over and over again the whole day. One question that kept coming up was, "What's the difference between an interface and an abstract class?"   1 Answer

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Jul 18, 2017 – Employee Relations Program Leader

We appreciate you taking the time to submit your comments on your ACE interview and we are sorry you had a less than positive experience. Your comments were shared with the ACE event management team... More

Inorganic Geochemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA).

Interview

Full day interview with professionals, very good experience.
    Started at around 10am then they took me to lunch where we spent more time getting to know one another.

The final interview was conducted by HR and was very informative about the benefits of company and location.

Interview Questions

• Some science questions and then some of the tougher one's: "What is your 5 year career plan"?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Interview

Interview

I had a phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of fairly general questions having to do with my academic and professional expereinces. The interviewer was very kind and casual. It was a pleasant interview and I learned a lot about the position and company atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you lead a team? Give an example of when you have overcome adversity?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Staff Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Interview

The interview started with an email inviting me to come down to Livermore for a day. It started with meeting with HR and discussing the Lab and their research goal as well as logistics like healthcare and benefits. I then spent some time chatting witht he PI for the position I was applying for. After which I gave a 45min presentation +15min questions seminar on my PhD research topic. It was a very welcoming atmosphere and everyone were very nice. No extremely hard questions but just clarifications on my research. It then led to lunch where I met other Postdocs at the lab and discussed how they were enjoying thing. After lunch I had multiple ~30-40min discussions with researchers in the Nuclear Science division about their research as well as mine. Most questions were straightforward about my CV and my thesis topic and how I could fit in the Lab. The interview ended with dinner with the PI with some light physics discussion but mostly just chatting. It was a great experience overall and I am glad I had the chance to do it.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding bayesian statistics which I was unfamiliar with.   1 Answer

Student Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Interview

Group phone interview, very straight forward. All three members of the team I interviewed with were very nice. They wanted to hear about my research experiences and regular work experience. They answered all my questions about the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a project in which you were in charge and had a difficult team member, and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Post College Appointee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online, within 2 or so weeks they got back to me to set up a phone call. The phone interview was maybe 30 minutes and was with two lab members I applied to work with. A week and a half later, I received an email inviting me to fly out to LLNL to do a second interview. Scheduled that for ~2 weeks after that. Maybe 3-4 days after the interview I received an informal offer.
    Plan on accepting once the formal offer comes through.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous research experience.   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Technical questions about my research (i.e. what methods I used to correct for certain interferences, did I utilize certain separation/extraction methods, etc.)?   Answer Question

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in March 2017.

Interview

I recently applied for a position out in Livermore where I received a phone call from an HR representative. The representative wanted to arrange a phone interview. As excited as I was to be considered, I declined the phone interview almost immediately. My reasoning behind this decision would relate back to my initial treatment. Long story short, I asked for an email confirming my phone interview (due to different time zones and not being at a spot to record the date/time). To my surprise I was declined that email. The representative responded to me with a “Seriously?” I was stunned at the response as this is a common duty for any HR representative. Needless to say, I was disappointed and will not be seeking employment with Livermore at this time.

A bad experience is not the best way to start a new job. Needless to say, it wouldn't have been in my best interest to proceed further in the interview process.

I rated the interview as difficult, because it was difficult for me to think that a world renowned lab could make me feel this way.