Cover image for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Nov 4, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 202 of over 202 interviews

2.9
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Application

I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Interview

Multiple stages of phone interviews regarding combination of technical background and soft skills. Final interview was an all-afternoon virtual video interview which involved a 30 minute presentation followed by several panel interviews.

Interview Questions
  • Give an example of a time you had a conflict with another person and how did you resolve it.
    Answer Question

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Interview

For the interview, I was asked to prepare a presentation for a 45 minute talk and answer questions for 30 minutes. There were several 45 minute mini interviews/discussions with various groups throughout the complex to probe my experience.

Interview Questions
  • If you had to do project, X, how would you go about doing so?

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Interview

Interviewed by seasoned team of DBAs. Their main concern was production support and tuning. A hypothetical problem was a slow running query. After meeting the team, I was interviewed by management, who were interested in my strengths.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Application

I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Interview

The process was simple and short but it may take a while to get there from the time that you apply. Interview was a basic interview that went over your experience, relevant skills, and some conceptual technical questions.

Interview Questions
  • They asked me quite a few SQL questions though this varies massively depending on the team.

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in Oct 2022

Interview

Green flags - such a breath of fresh air after doing the Silicon Valley interview dances. A single call with a recruiter, a single panel interview with the team, then a decision made. I’m used to a ridiculous amount of hoops to jump through in the Bay Area. This interview process was highly organized, to the point, and fair. After the panel, I received a call from recruiting with feedback on my interview. An offer was extended 5 days after, which I happily signed. Call with recruiter (30 mins), panel interview with HM, two stakeholders, and recruiter as facilitator (1 hour).

Interview Questions
  • Experience with technical teams? Review process? Experience with conflict management? Experience with sensitive information? Can you travel occasionally?

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Application

I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Interview

It was a very simplified process moving quickly and I got through the human resources bottle-neck quickly to speak with group leaders and team. The interview did not feel like a formal interview either.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Application

I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Interview

Over zoom. Took around 1 hour. Mostly they described their available research projects and ideas on each project. Asked my previous research works and if I have submitted any paper or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in May 2022

Interview

1) Section manager reached out to conduct a 30-min screening Zoom call with one other staff scientist to go over my resume. Said the interview went well and we'd be in touch. 2) Waited ~4 weeks to get a confirmation for an on-site interview. Scheduled the on-site interview 3 weeks in advanced. 3) Before the on-site interview, a "pre-interview" was conducted via another Zoom call with an additional 4 staff scientists, debriefing me about the projects that are going on in the lab, and which ones would interest me. ~1 hr call, nothing difficult, just a conversation. 4) On-site interview was a 45 min presentation + 15 min questions (basically my PhD defense slides). After the presentation was the actual interview where all the scientists (15+ people in the room at the same time) asked you basic interview questions. Afterwards I toured the facility of where I would be working. The entire process started at 7:30 am and ended at 4:00 pm. At the end, the section manager said I had the position and to expect an offer some time in the coming week. 5) Waited another week for an (unofficial) offer. Total process took ~4 months from submitting the application to getting an offer. Overall, nice experience. Majority of the people were professional, but some of the older staff can come off as aggressive when asking questions.

Interview Questions
  • For the presentation, basic questions about your research and slides; not many technical questions, more or less clarifications on your projects. The main interview took place after the presentation where they asked soft skill questions. 1) How do you handle working with a difficult coworker? 2) Have you ever been faced with a situation where you had to make a decision without all the immediate information? 3) What is your approach to solving a problem? 4) Describe a time where you had a disagreement with your advisor. 5) How do you prioritize projects and your work flow?
6 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Ottumwa, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Ottumwa, IA) in May 2022

Interview

Conversation-based with questions focused on geometrical optics and the basic foundations of the scientific application of lasers. What class did I learn the most in, strengths & weaknesses, and where I saw myself in ten years.

Interview Questions
  • How would I design an optical set up for a desired result (e.g. polarizing light).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in Apr 2022

Interview

The interview was a panel interview with the design team. I was asked to submit examples of my work and projects from school prior to the interview. I was asked to present my work and then answered any questions the panel had.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 202 Interviews

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as 85.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.91 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Engineer and Postdoctoral Researcher rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Mechanical Engineer and Intern roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory takes an average of 50 days when considering 221 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Intern had the quickest hiring process (on average 25 days), whereas Postdoctoral Researcher roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 47 days).

Common stages of the interview process at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory according to 221 Glassdoor interviews include:

Group Panel Interview: 20.23%

Work at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory logo

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Careers

Cover image for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Welcome to the ultimate challenge You will work with the brightest minds in science and engineering to solve some of the most challenging...More

• Research
  • Benefits
  • Livermore
  • Interns

Company Updates

35 days ago

Events
We are hosting an Open House Career Fair this Wed., Nov. 2, 2022 from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. at the Livermore Valley Open Campus. Come meet us and learn more about our job opportunities! ID or passport required. Read more about this event:
Shared image - Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory to host career fair
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory to host career fair
www.llnl.gov

148 days ago

Careers
This summer, we’re excited to welcome over 700 interns to the Lab, on-site and virtually. Interns help us push the limits of science, technology and research in an effort to better understand the world and protect the people in it. We welcome our #LLNLinterns to the Lab and encourage them to innovate, collaborate and explore while with us. If you’re a student seeking an #LLNL internship or post-doc opportunity, learn more about our student opportunities: https://www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers/students Photo: This summer, our Livermore Laboratory Employee Services Association (LLESA) provided stuffed animals to our students. Every summer, students are randomly sorted into a team for the LLESA Summer Student Cup. These teams allow students to network with other student interns in different areas of the Lab. The four animal mascot teams include: foxes, labradors, raccoons and owls. Throughout the summer, student interns have the opportunity to earn points for their team by participating in various planned student activities.
Shared image

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Photos

+ Add Photo
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory photo of: Sierra, one of six LLNL supercomputers in the bi-annual list of Top500 supercomputers
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory photo of: Apprentice program graduates look forward to careers as Lab machinists
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory photo of: White House visit underscores a national need for diversity in STEM
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory photo of: Science on Saturday lectures are free and open to the public that are targeted to middle and high school students.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory photo of: LLNL Mentoring program generates rewarding opportunities for career growth.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory photo of: Department of Defense’s SkillBridge program allows active-duty service members the opportunity to gain civilian work experience during their last several months of service.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory photo of: Lab internship program bridges gap between degree and military service

Expert Career Advice