Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 28, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Mechanical Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA).

Interview

Met with one expert in the field I was applying for. Then there was a call back for the panel interview. Then you wait for a couple of weeks to get a answer to get a call from Human Resources.

Interview Questions

• How will you contribute to the overall projects and mission of LLNL   Answer Question

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Mar 7, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience; we look forward to your joining us soon!

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA).

Interview

I presented my research topic (during phd) for 1hr and, and had 1-on-1 meeting (30 min each) with about 12 people (including 2 from HR dept). I got questions mostly about my research.

Interview Questions

• asked about one of the detector devices(how to calibrate, basic physics)   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Interview

In depth phone interview that went over details about rad and industrial hygiene experience. If more experience in one than the other, that is okay.

Will be notified pretty quickly if you advance to the onsite panel interview. This interview is more about compatibility and personality.

Structural Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Interview

First phone interview was with Human Resources and this was more of a personality interview. Second phone interview was with the hiring manager and also with leads of the department I would be working with. Overall easy.

Benefits Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Received an email 2 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. Within a week I received another email to schedule a panel interview. I was interviewed by a panel of 3 people. I was a little nervous because each of them had a folder full of questions to ask. As time went on I started to relax and I actually had a great interview experience . Its been almost 2 weeks and I am still waiting to hear back. I really hope I get the job offer, LLNL is a great place to work!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

All interview was all day long. It consisted of a benefits review followed by several different panels with different skill sets performing technical reviews. Everyone was very knowledgeable and polite. The free lunch was an informal chance to get to know the team on a personal level.

Interview Questions

• Different types of graph searches and their common applications.   Answer Question

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview followed up by an in house interview. The phone interview was relatively easy and the interviewer was very professional. The panel was complete overkill with pages and pages of "specific example" questions. I was asked to prepare a presentation which I did.

Interview Questions

• Describe for me a time when you had a difficult position to fill
      Give me an example of what you would do if someone gave you a candidate and told you to fill the position with the candidate.   Answer Question

AO1 II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA).

Interview

A 20 presentation was required involved a panel of 6 which I believe was over kill for this type of position. followed by at least 6 pages of very lengthy questions

Interview Questions

• The usual strengths weaknesses.. how do you handle difficult people.   Answer Question

Mass Spectrometrist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

Interview

I was contacted by staff researchers for an initial phone interview, and was then invited out for a day of interviews, lab tours, and a job talk. I was also given a full overview of the benefits and compensation package for the position for which I applied.

Interview Questions

• What was my experience with working with the particular types of instruments in this particular research group?   Answer Question

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore Center, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore Center, ME) in July 2017.

Interview

An email was sent with questions to address in presentation. Had to create presentation based on 4 questions, present in front of a panel 5 people, Q/A after with extensive questions. Too many questions afterwards that the panel wasn't too excited about.

Interview Questions

• describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you handled it, give an example   Answer Question

Computer Science Interview

Application

Interview

I flew in from Florida. It was a long flight and a long interview with 8-10 different panels. They call them "ACE" events, mass hiring event. The process is like a pipeline. There was a group of maybe 10 candidates and they would rotate us through 30 minute panel interviews. At the end, the panels would vote for candidates they want to hire.

Several things bothered me. I didn't apply to Java developer jobs, yet 70% of the "teams" were looking for a Java developer. I was under the impression that they were hiring a computer scientist, not a human Java Virtual Machine. The teams were trying to "split the bill" on 1-2 Java developers. They called it a "generalist" positions, which in this case meant Java developer.

Another thing that irked me is that they flew me in on a Wednesday mid-semester. I ended up missing 3 days of graduate level courses right before midterms. I tried changing the date, but they said that it would lower my chances of being hired since less teams would interview me.

Some of the panels interviews (3-4) were space fillers. They were like NOPs in a pipeline. Basically, you sit with a babysitter in a room for 30 minutes and stare at each other. The room was cold and located in the same trailer as the other rooms.

The whole experience was unprofessional. I even saw a male interviewer try to pickup a female interviewer in a different panel during lunch. Overall, I didn't feel valued or respected during the process. I would have liked to have been taken a little more seriously. After it was over, they even started background check on me after they told me they wouldn't be offering me a job. I found out because one of my references received an email from LLNL. I brought it to their attention and they apologized and cancelled it a few days later. I don't remember giving them permission to check my credit history or background.

To this day, I still receive emails saying that I'm being considered for a position at LLNL.

A few of the interviewers were professional and respectful, but many were not.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the same object oriented questions over and over again the whole day. One question that kept coming up was, "What's the difference between an interface and an abstract class?"   1 Answer

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Jul 18, 2017 – Employee Relations Program Leader

We appreciate you taking the time to submit your comments on your ACE interview and we are sorry you had a less than positive experience. Your comments were shared with the ACE event management team... More