Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Mechanical Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA).

Interview

Met with one expert in the field I was applying for. Then there was a call back for the panel interview. Then you wait for a couple of weeks to get a answer to get a call from Human Resources.

Interview Questions

• How will you contribute to the overall projects and mission of LLNL   Answer Question

Mar 7, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience; we look forward to your joining us soon!

Computer Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA).

Interview

I flew in from Florida. It was a long flight and a long interview with 8-10 different panels. They call them "ACE" events, mass hiring event. The process is like a pipeline. There was a group of maybe 10 candidates and they would rotate us through 30 minute panel interviews. At the end, the panels would vote for candidates they want to hire.

Several things bothered me. I didn't apply to Java developer jobs, yet 70% of the "teams" were looking for a Java developer. I was under the impression that they were hiring a computer scientist, not a human Java Virtual Machine. The teams were trying to "split the bill" on 1-2 Java developers. They called it a "generalist" positions, which in this case meant Java developer.

Another thing that irked me is that they flew me in on a Wednesday mid-semester. I ended up missing 3 days of graduate level courses right before midterms. I tried changing the date, but they said that it would lower my chances of being hired since less teams would interview me.

Some of the panels interviews (3-4) were space fillers. They were like NOPs in a pipeline. Basically, you sit with a babysitter in a room for 30 minutes and stare at each other. The room was cold and located in the same trailer as the other rooms.

The whole experience was unprofessional. I even saw a male interviewer try to pickup a female interviewer in a different panel during lunch. Overall, I didn't feel valued or respected during the process. I would have liked to have been taken a little more seriously. After it was over, they even started background check on me after they told me they wouldn't be offering me a job. I found out because one of my references received an email from LLNL. I brought it to their attention and they apologized and cancelled it a few days later. I don't remember giving them permission to check my credit history or background.

To this day, I still receive emails saying that I'm being considered for a position at LLNL.

A few of the interviewers were professional and respectful, but many were not.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the same object oriented questions over and over again the whole day. One question that kept coming up was, "What's the difference between an interface and an abstract class?"   1 Answer

Jul 18, 2017 – Employee Relations Program Leader

We appreciate you taking the time to submit your comments on your ACE interview and we are sorry you had a less than positive experience. Your comments were shared with the ACE event management team... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in August 2009.

Interview

I was questioned on various issues and then described the offer.

Interview Questions

The company told me they had an offer and then offered someone else the offer while I was making up my mind. (1 week) It didn't seem like very good business etiquette.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

I found the job on dice. The initial communications and interview process were fine. I met with a team over 1 day and found the people very friendly and intelligent.

The post-interview process was very poor. I was told it would take a while and to check back in a few weeks. Ok, I did that. No answer. Finally, after 6 weeks, I called HR and lo and behold, I was called and offered the job later that same day. However, the offer was rescinded a week later. I was told the job was no longer available. Very strange. Seemed like there was a large disconnect between HR and the hiring team.

Interview Questions

• I was surprised that none of the questions was very difficult. In fact, interviewers asked the same question, several times.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Chico, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Wasn't asked any technical question, though we were told we would be. Interviewed by cool person. The guy said the laboratory was fun to work at and they were flexible

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

All interview was all day long. It consisted of a benefits review followed by several different panels with different skill sets performing technical reviews. Everyone was very knowledgeable and polite. The free lunch was an informal chance to get to know the team on a personal level.

Interview Questions

• Different types of graph searches and their common applications.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (New York, NY).

Interview

About a handful of interview stages. Started with HR, then with the team lead, then with the management and finally with the whole team. This was for an intermediate technical position so the interviews focused on prior technical experience and skills. Also some questions to see personal character / behavior, like how to deal with difficult situations and challenges. No problem solving questions or puzzles.

Interview Questions

• Explain a previous development project you led and the technologies used.   Answer Question

Aug 31, 2016

Thank you for sharing your interview experience, welcome to LLNL!

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Interview

Phone interview followed by day long interview with 8-10 managers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

limited flexibility in hire package.

Analyst Interview

Interview

Livermore is a secure facility and as such you need to go through extensive security clearance before and while employed at Lawrence livermore National Labs. This reduces the opportunity for foriegn nationals and green card holders, but it offers the advantage of being a safe working envirorment. From time of application interview call can be anywhere from 2-6 weeks. Interviews are very lengthy, often a whole day process. After interview, the offer again may take several weeks.

Interview Questions

• none that I can think of. Having exceptional skill in one area is more valuable thna being a good generalist.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was inexperienced but I did not negotiate anything. i accepted the offer as is.

Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Livermore, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Group Panel with about 6 people. A presentation about something in relationship to the position is required to show knowledge and communication skills. If you know the information the interview isn't extremely scary.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were really out of the ordinary. They relate to the job and your person   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and then received an email from a group in the Physics Division which wanted to have me in. We scheduled a phone interview, during which they asked me questions basically about my research experience. I then went through a background check which took like 4 weeks, after which I received my official offer from LLNL.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience working for [insert work/research job here].   Answer Question
    • What programming languages are you familiar with (with respect to image processing)?   1 Answer