Lazard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lazard Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2017

3.4

M&A 6-month Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (Paris (France)) in March 2016.

Interview

Got the opportunity to have interviews by having my resume transferred to a partner.
    Very hard interview, question about LBO (few models to do), questions about valuation (not that hard except DCF), consolidation and deconsolidation of subsidiaries via Equity Method, accretion-dilution...

Interview Questions

• Explain a DCF and at the same tim write a company review about a company of your choice and multiply 204*540   1 Answer

Investment Banking Summer Associate Interview

Interview

They asked a few fit questions than asked one technical question that was nowhere in the technical guides. Could be because I didn't have in-depth knowledge about an assignment I worked on on my resume - they may have decided they were done at that point. If that was not the case, I think it was an odd question to ask, considering questions are expected to be about valuations or LBO and merger models.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about corporate bonds - it was the only technical question they asked. Not a breath of it was mentioned in the technical guides   2 Answers

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Lazard.

Interview

Interview process moved quickly, as did them extending an offer. FaceTime was a must at this company since they were looking for horsepower, more than anything. Great experience overall and I learned more than most of my peers.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through how a capital lease affects the 3 financial statements   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't, just a summer internship.

Stagiaire Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (Paris (France)) in September 2013.

Interview

L'entretien pour un stage se déroule en 4 étapes : deux étapes avec des analystes et deux étapes avec des collaborateurs. Étant donné que c'était pour les Telecoms et l'équipe technique, les entretiens étaient orientés sur les aspects stratégiques des acteurs majeurs des Telecoms (AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone et pour la France : Orange, SFR Bouygues et Free). La récente cession par Vivendi de ses parts de Maroc Telecom (IAM) était le sujet principal de l'entretien car j'avais appris par un stagiaire que l'équipe travaillait actuellement sur l'affaire. À propos de la partie technique : les méthodes d’évaluation et les cas en comptabilité ont été brièvement abordés.

Interview Questions

• La question la plus difficile selon moi était : que mettriez-vous dans un pitch de présentation ?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lazard in November 2015.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews, final round (superday) had 4 interviewers, 3 relaxed and 1 pressure. Some standard questions, some designed to make you think, all pretty fair considering the candidate's background I'd say. More important than knowing the answer cold was being able to explain the thought process you had or reason out your answer, which was very logical and provided opportunities to improve on answers I may have gotten wrong.

Spring Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (London, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

HR was very nice, but my analyst was very intense. Interviews were done very professionally and high technical expertise is required. Overall, very challenging for a Spring Internship and if I were to advise anyone interviewing at Lazard, definitely prepare your technicals. However, don't neglect your competencies either, they also look for those.

Interview Questions

• Name me one more valuation methods other than the main 3 valuation methods   Answer Question
    • If a board does not want to be acquired, what would you advise them as an Investment Bank?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lazard (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Did the online tests and waited for a few days. Got a mail saying I was through to the phone interview. The interview was meant to be 20 mins but mine only took 5 mins. I did not do the interview well. Next day got a mail saying I was rejected.

Spring Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The interview process began with emailing the human resources department my CV and cover letter. The next stage was a one way video interview with pre-recorded questions. It's an awkward interview speaking in front of a camera to simulate a real-life interview without actually having two people.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Lazard?
      Why investment banking?
      What is an example that helped you learn your strengths and weaknesses? What did you learn from this experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Networked with an alum of my school (core) and she put my resume in.

Did a first round call with an analyst- typical IB interview with fit questions. Also some surprisingly intense technicals for a first round. (LBO, DCF questions).

Second phone call the next week with an associate. Same structure- had an accounting question on buying PP&E at a price different from book value. If you've prepped with BIWS shouldn't be an issue. Another was pitching a stock and then a potential acquisition for that company.

A VP I had networked with at an on-campus info-session called me before my final round and basically asked how interested I really was in the position. Was a bit odd and uncomfortable as I found out another candidate from my school did not go through this. Basically asked me if I would take an offer, where else I was interviewing, and finally I was able to convince him that I was interested.

Final round in the LA office the week after. Did 6 30-min interviewers with people of all levels. One analyst was extremely technical and difficult. Associates were okay- one was very nice and casual and we really hit it off- more about fit along with some brain teasers. The other was a bit snarky and asked heavy technical questions based off his previous experience in corporate banking (not even IB questions) because I had a little experience in that a previous summer. VPs were okay, I felt that one was very uninterested in me and the other that had called me days earlier seemed to just speak more to the experience. Other interview with 1 analyst and 1 associate was technical and math questions.

Overall the job went to another kid from my school who had family connections in IB and was likely more prepared (this was my first superday and he already had an offer at a top BB). Good experience, was well planned out.

Interview Questions

• How would you LBO a farm? DCF? What multiples would you use?
      Pitch me an idea for an acquisition of two companies.
      Walk me through taking out debt to finance a PP&E transaction. (follow up was to ask for the interest rate and depreciation)
      Why Laz? Why LA office? Why IB?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lazard in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, interviewed first round at the campus. Process took about a month. It was a one on one interview and the interview was a straight technical questions. First he asked me to walk through resume, what other interviews I have, and went into straight LBO questions, followed by calculating IRR.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through LBO
      Calculate IRR based on info he gave me.   Answer Question