Lazard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

3.4

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Networked with an alum of my school (core) and she put my resume in.

Did a first round call with an analyst- typical IB interview with fit questions. Also some surprisingly intense technicals for a first round. (LBO, DCF questions).

Second phone call the next week with an associate. Same structure- had an accounting question on buying PP&E at a price different from book value. If you've prepped with BIWS shouldn't be an issue. Another was pitching a stock and then a potential acquisition for that company.

A VP I had networked with at an on-campus info-session called me before my final round and basically asked how interested I really was in the position. Was a bit odd and uncomfortable as I found out another candidate from my school did not go through this. Basically asked me if I would take an offer, where else I was interviewing, and finally I was able to convince him that I was interested.

Final round in the LA office the week after. Did 6 30-min interviewers with people of all levels. One analyst was extremely technical and difficult. Associates were okay- one was very nice and casual and we really hit it off- more about fit along with some brain teasers. The other was a bit snarky and asked heavy technical questions based off his previous experience in corporate banking (not even IB questions) because I had a little experience in that a previous summer. VPs were okay, I felt that one was very uninterested in me and the other that had called me days earlier seemed to just speak more to the experience. Other interview with 1 analyst and 1 associate was technical and math questions.

Overall the job went to another kid from my school who had family connections in IB and was likely more prepared (this was my first superday and he already had an offer at a top BB). Good experience, was well planned out.

Interview Questions

• How would you LBO a farm? DCF? What multiples would you use?
      Pitch me an idea for an acquisition of two companies.
      Walk me through taking out debt to finance a PP&E transaction. (follow up was to ask for the interest rate and depreciation)
      Why Laz? Why LA office? Why IB?
      Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview asking mostly about "Why Investment Banking" because of technical background. Even asked "Why not consulting?", then Super Day in New York. Phone interview was all behavioral, no technicals asked.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lazard (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. I met with three people. First guy was very relaxed mainly asked about my experience. Then a senior guy came in and they did a 2-on-1 session where he asked basic technicals (i.e. Calc EV, Walk me through DCF, Where to find a company's shares outstanding, etc.). Second associate grilled me on technicals alone (i.e. basic accretion/dilution cases on paper, projecting a company's financials based on historical data etc.).

Interview Questions

• Where on the 10K do you find shares outstanding?   1 Answer

Associate, Investment Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Lazard (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

First round - All fit/ resume questions with 4 bankers (from Associate to Senior VP level) at the office
    They seemed very friendly and nice
    Generic questions - Why banking, Any interesting deal that I had worked on, Why MBA, Strengths, Weaknesses, Courageous decision I had taken, Why Lazard.
    The next was going to be a super day if I qualified in the first round

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Interview process was straightforward. I sent a cover letter, resume, and portfolio example of financial modeling. I got a call back, and went to a phone interview. Very nice over the phone, mostly technical questions. Heard back with a no, but overall it was a useful experience.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a time that you led a team and failed.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Lazard.

Interview

Barely any technicals, the associate was a real jerk though. He just worked through my entire interview and barely looked up to make eye contact. Office is small so if you don't vibe well with one person, your chances at a job are close to none. Everyone else in the office was awesome.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Lazard (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Relatively straightforward - Initial in person interview on campus followed by a superday at the NYC office. The superday consistent of 3 rounds of interviews which each lasted for around 30 minutes. These interviews were usually 2:1 or 1:1

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Lazard (New York, NY).

Interview

They were very accommodating as far as hours. I came in after regular business hours. I took a really long and very comprehensive test. It took me about 1.5 hrs to complete. They asked a lot of questions on dealing with tough personalities, which made me very wary.

I waited over a month to get a call back, and in the meantime, accepted another offer. They expressed how impressed they were with me, my credentials, and my performance on the test, but they just waited too long to make a decision.

Interview Questions

• How good are you at dealing with difficult personalities?   1 Answer

Investment Banking Summer Associate Interview

Interview

They asked a few fit questions than asked one technical question that was nowhere in the technical guides. Could be because I didn't have in-depth knowledge about an assignment I worked on on my resume - they may have decided they were done at that point. If that was not the case, I think it was an odd question to ask, considering questions are expected to be about valuations or LBO and merger models.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about corporate bonds - it was the only technical question they asked. Not a breath of it was mentioned in the technical guides   2 Answers

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Lazard.

Interview

Interview process moved quickly, as did them extending an offer. FaceTime was a must at this company since they were looking for horsepower, more than anything. Great experience overall and I learned more than most of my peers.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through how a capital lease affects the 3 financial statements   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't, just a summer internship.